Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

Client has installed wordpress on a subdirectory and wanted to translate the sub-directory to secondary language.

Solution:

This is not possible to translate the sub-directory folder name currently for secondary languages.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by charleneR-2 2 years, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Dennis.

Author Posts
January 31, 2019 at 12:30 am #3145882

charleneR-2

Tell us what you are trying to do?
My original site url is: hidden link
I have found where I translate the strings for all urls inside the boat-lights directory. For example, for "/boat-lights/privacy-policy" we have access to adding the translations for "privacy-policy"/
What I would like to know is where do we create translations for "boat-lights" and make sure that urls work correctly?
Also, this is the formatting of how our addition language urls are set up:
hidden link
As you can see everything is translated besides the main domain and the sub-directory "boat-lights"

Is there any documentation that you are following?
I could not find documentation explaining this.

Is there a similar example that we can see?
I can upload a screen shot.

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 4.08.38 PM.jpg
January 31, 2019 at 8:59 am #3146725

Dennis

Hi,

Welcome to WPML Support forum.

Unfortunately, this is currently not possible with WPML.

We have a client with similar issue here:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/use-a-different-sub-directory-for-my-second-language/

Kind regards,
Dennis

January 31, 2019 at 5:34 pm #3149076

charleneR-2

It is impossible for me to understand that article without seeing the url structure. It just says "hidden". Also, I am not suggesting that the 2 letter language code be left off the end of the url. I want that to stay. I only want the subdirectory to also be translated. If that is not possible, do you have any suggestions for what else I should consider doing instead?

February 1, 2019 at 7:02 am #3150487

Dennis

Hi,

Thank you for reply and checking out the thread I shared with you.

I understand if you find it hard to understand the related ticket. Please consider the provided summary and resolution of that ticket.

Please see attached image file.

I have referred you issue to our 2nd tier supporter. They iterated that this is currently not possible. They suggested to setup domain per language where you can have top-level domain or subdomain for each language.

You can have more information about it here:

https://wpml.org/2016/04/use-wpml-different-domains-per-language/

Please feel free to create new ticket for any question about the above reference.

Kind regards,
Dennis

wp-sub-directory-wpml.png
February 8, 2019 at 8:49 pm #3176996

charleneR-2

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!