Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The user would like to filter strings and show only the strings that need update. Solution: This feature is not supported yet, ask this feature in https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/ Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jamal 1 year, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Jamal.

Author Posts
December 18, 2019 at 5:31 pm #5157085

mikaelG-6

I noticed that many strings in String Translation changed status to "Translation needs update" (translated from Swedish, so don't really know the English phrase for this), this happened after latest update.
And the problem seems to be that when a string have this status, the translation isn't used. I have a lot of "admin_text_xxxx"-strings that is really important that they work so this is frustrating...

AND another thing I really think is weird! Why isn't it possible to chose status "Translation needs update" in the String Translation View? This option would save a lot of time as it a horrible job to find all this strings as it is working now...

December 21, 2019 at 9:55 am #5174921

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I will be glad to help with this.

I don't know what would make the strings change to needing updates after an update, I searched our internal tools and the forum for similar issues to no avail.

Please, check the attached image, you can filter for the strings that are not completely translated.

Best regards,
Jamal

December 21, 2019 at 11:14 am #5175159

mikaelG-6

Yeah, but the problem is that you suggestion, which I of course already tried, displays all strings without translations too. It is really hard to search several thousands of strings for the status "Translation needed" hence my question about why it is not possible to filter the status for only strings with status "Translation needs update". I don't get how this have not been implemented, as it would be really simple for you to add this as an option when filtering. This filter is already available in other views like in Translation Management. In that view you can chose the status "Needs update" (translated from Swedish, don't know the exact English phrase for it).
And I found threads that are from 2012-2015 were people suggest that you add this and nothing have obviously happened regarding this.
So can you please take this to the developers as this should be so easy for you to implement. It is just another option for filtering status of the translations, and one that is already available in other views.

December 21, 2019 at 11:51 am #5175243

Jamal
Supporter

Thank you for your feedback. I understand the frustration you may feel about this issue. Our sincere apologies.

Unfortunately, the support forum does not handle feature requests, you can ask for this feature in https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

Best regards,
Jamal

December 21, 2019 at 12:44 pm #5175517

mikaelG-6

Actually this isn't a feature request, as this should be basic implementation in regards to all the problems caused by your change for the String Translations plugin. It should be taken more seriously by you and be a priority to make this a default option!
Basic features shouldn't have to be requested. If there wasn't any problem with String Translations, I can see how you would see it that way. But as this is caused by a bug in you latest update, this should be a priority so it is possible to fix this for the site owners when it happens.

December 21, 2019 at 5:05 pm #5176051

Jamal
Supporter

I understand your feeling. Let me check with my 2nd Tier and get back to you.

December 24, 2019 at 11:03 am #5189265

Jamal
Supporter

Our 2nd Tier says that there is no easy way right now to get only the strings that need update and also suggests to use our suggest-a-new-feature page https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

On the other hand, Our 2nd Tier suggests that we can investigate what made the strings change the status to "needs update" if we have a backup of before this happens and if we know what triggered it(update of a plugin/theme/WordPress).

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

December 24, 2019 at 1:59 pm #5189667

mikaelG-6

Yeah, I can suggest this as a feature, but it shouldn't be necessary as this should be a basic feature, as all other views has this filter...
And there is only one reason this started occurring, as it has never been a problem before. It was your terrible update of String Translations plugin when you changed everything basic about it and didn't test it enough to be used on production sites.

December 24, 2019 at 2:14 pm #5189701

Jamal
Supporter

Thank you for your feedback. I understand your point of view and frustration you may have with all these issues happening in your website.

Before launching this change in String Translation, we published an article about it and produced beta versions, we iterated over 10 times before publishing 3.0.0. Now, we are on 3.0.6 and one beta version 3.0.7-b.1.
- https://wpml.org/changelog/2019/08/wpml-4-3-beta-1-with-much-faster-string-translation/
- https://wpml.org/download/wpml-string-translation/?section=changelog

If we can work on the issues that you are encountering, we may find something and fix them.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Best regards,
Jamal