Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Denis Gergic 4 years, 8 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bernat Torras.

Author Posts
May 12, 2017 at 12:24 pm #1274804

martineG-3

Hello,

In a previous topic I learned how to translate the projects using WPML.
See: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/downsizing-website-using-wpml/

So, we started to translate our projects like Itamar told us to do:
- delete french and english project (since dutch is our main language)
- remove the deleted pages from the trash
- after that we can translate the pages.

But, when viewing the pages, things look different.
I think it has something to do with the url.

hidden link is dutch version
hidden link
hidden link

It probably has something to do with the "language URL format".
Right now is says:
Language name added as a parameter (hidden link - EN)

Thanks in advance for the help.
Tony

May 15, 2017 at 10:37 am #1275959

martineG-3

The website is showing internal errors now which has something to do with the WPML settings.
Can anyone help please?
Thanks in advance.
Tony

May 15, 2017 at 11:10 am #1276003

martineG-3

OK. Solved the internal errors. Now there are a few projects which are not showing correctly.
hidden link is ok in dutch, but not in english and french.
Same issue in french and english with:
hidden link
hidden link

What could be causing this problem?
Thanks for the help in advance.
Tony

May 15, 2017 at 11:34 am #1276028

martineG-3

OK. All is resolved now. I found the solution.

May 15, 2017 at 12:05 pm #1276062

Bernat Torras

Hi Tony,

Thanks for contacting support, I'll do my best to help you with this! 🙂

I'm checking the code of your translated pages and I see that the rendered html elements are a bit different. In your translated pages, you content is wrapped inside a '#left-area' div (that is responsible of this different layout). This makes me thing that something in your translated pages is different that the original ones. You said that it is only happening to some of the pages? If it happens to all pages, I'd think that it is a general option (like a page layout option set in your theme options that needs to be translated to be applied to the rest of the languages) but if it's only happening on specific pages, I'd say that some page content or its custom fields are different.

Could you try to edit your original page and its translations in a different window and compare them together to see if there are any configuration differences? It could be part of the content set in the page builder or maybe some custom fields that control the layout of the page.

Please, give it a try and tell us if you're able to find any differences.

Thanks,
Bernat

May 16, 2017 at 8:26 am #1276872

martineG-3

Hello Bernat,

In some projects the dutch version were in full width and the english and french version had a right sidebar layout (don't know why). I switched those to full width and the problem is solved.

Only the newest 6 projects are translated using WPML. In three of them the issue occurred. At the moment we want to translate all the other (older) projects with WPML by using the steps WPML suggests:
* delete french an english version
* remove them from the trash
* translate dutch version in WPML.

The translation setting we use is
* Language name added as a parameter (hidden link)
Is it possible to make the "?lang=en" invisible?

Thanks for the help.
Tony

May 17, 2017 at 6:59 am #1277819

Bernat Torras

Hi Tony,

No, WPML needs to somehow add the language code to your url to understand that this is the translated version of your page. Even though, if you go to WPML>Languages you'll see that you can change the way WPML deals with languages. For example, if you don't like to add the language as a parameter (?lang=en) you could chose to use it as a directory (.../en/...) or to use a different domain per language (you'll need to create new domains or subdomains linked to this server install).

Hope it helps!

Thanks,
Bernat

May 17, 2017 at 7:15 am #1277833

Denis Gergic

Dear representative of WPML translations,
I'm experiencing several difficulties but firstly, the € sign is not showing correctly as you can see from the screenshot of my website.

Please help.
Best regards,
Denis

2d.jpg
1d.jpg