No supporters are available to work today on this forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andrés 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Andrés.

Author Posts
May 17, 2019 at 8:22 am #3832261

Fabio Gagliardi

Hi,
I've been implementing WPML on the staging site hidden link and I have a doubt concerning the Language URL Format.

I selected the option "Different languages in directories" and I got the error message:
"It looks like languages per directories will not function.
This can be a result of either:
WordPress is installed in a directory (not root) and you're using default links.
URL rewriting is not enabled in your web server.
The web server cannot write to the .htaccess file"

So for now, I turned to "Language name added as a parameter (hidden link - Italian)".

Question: once I will push the staging site live (ie, moving it from hidden link to hidden link), will I be able to select the "Different languages in directories" option?

Thanks in advance for your help.

May 17, 2019 at 8:53 am #3832515

Andrés
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) French (Français )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

Hello Fabio,

Welcome to WPML support forum.

Even if you see that message when you activate our Different languages in directories, have you tried and verify if that work? Sometimes this error is just a false positive. However, if it does not work in your production site, you may need to modify your server configuration in order to make it work.

However, most of the times, this alert is just a false positive as WPML is not able to read your server configuration correctly.

Best regards,
Andrés