This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by hlaingM 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
April 26, 2019 at 11:32 am #3690337

hlaingM

Tell us what you are trying to do? to translate contents/items on the Home Page.

Is there any documentation that you are following? Image

Is there a similar example that we can see? Attached.

What is the link to your site? hidden link

April 26, 2019 at 8:54 pm #3693279

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thank you for contacting us. That depends on how the theme was done. Some themes allow you to configure each homepage for a specific language using the admin bar at the top. That is, if there is a configuration page for the homepage, you can, using the admin bar, try switching to another language and setting up the site in the secondary language as well.

Please, what is the version of WPML and WP are you using? I would like to know more about your installation. Can you please provide your WPML Debug information in the debug field below? http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Thank you.

April 26, 2019 at 9:00 pm #3693295

hlaingM

Hi,

My wordpress version is: 5.1.1

WPML Multilingual CMS Installed Yes 4.2.6
WPML CMS Nav Not installed No n/a
WPML String Translation Installed Yes 2.10.4
WPML Sticky Links Not installed No n/a
WPML Translation Management Installed Yes 2.8.5
WPML Media Installed Yes 2.5.2
WooCommerce Multilingual Installed Yes 4.6.2
Gravity Forms Multilingual Not installed No n/a
Yoast SEO Multilingual Not installed No n/a

Thank you for your time.

April 30, 2019 at 1:46 am #3707163

Bruno
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you and sorry for the delay. I'm still a bit confused about the question you're talking about.

On the categories, you should have to translate all of these items so that it would be displayed the same way as the default language.

On these strings you want to translate from your theme, I'll need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site - preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible - in order to be of better help.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Note:

*** Please let me know exactly what steps should I follow to see the problem.

*** Please, can I install the Duplicator plugin (or All in One Migration) to make a copy of your site and install it on my test environment? This will help me debug the problem.

*** Note: Please make a full backup of your site.

Privacy and Security when Providing Debug Information for Support: https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Thank you.

April 30, 2019 at 7:59 am #3708919

hlaingM

Hi, all of these issues except for one (Favorites Ad Plugin) have been resolved.

As you can see in my link (www.myanmaradslist.com) or in the image below, I need to translate "Favorites" on the topbar menus for the favorite ads plugin. However, I have translated all the strings associated with the plugin and I could not find one specific word "Favorites". Nor can it be found in the topbar menus from the back-end. Could you please help me with this issue? Thanks.

May 1, 2019 at 8:53 pm #3719919

Bruno
Supporter

Hi,

Glad to hear that it now works. On these strings, I need to see how your theme was made so I can look at these strings. For example, is this string added through some options page? Or as soon as you install your theme, does this item appear in the header?

I'm going to request the credentials again so I can check how this string can be translated.

Thank you.

May 2, 2019 at 8:38 pm #3729133

Bruno
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you. The problem is happening because the plugin you are using to add that "Favorites" string (Favorite Ads) is not localized to be translatable.

The "Favorites" string is inside the file wp-content/plugins/favorite-ads/favorite-ads.php at line 80. I've made this string translatable by changing the line:

$favitem .= '<i class="fa fa-heart"></i> Favorites';

to:

$favitem .= '<i class="fa fa-heart"></i> ' . __( 'Favorites', 'custom-string' );

This fixed the problem and now you can translate the string on the WPML > String Translation. Note that if you update the plugin, this change will be lost.

The best option should be to contact the plugin's author and ask them to make these strings translatable.

Please, let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have about it. I'll be happy to help.

Thank you.

May 3, 2019 at 12:59 am #3729665

hlaingM

Thank you very much.

How about the "Search All Regions" on the header menus? I am not able to find it in the string translation. Does it have to do know similar issues? I don't know anything about codes. Is there a way for me to work around that sort of issues in the future?

Thank you for your help.

May 3, 2019 at 1:42 am #3729697

Bruno
Supporter

I have added the following lines within the WPML > Settings > Custom XML Configuration:

<wpml-config>
    <admin-texts>
        <key name="ml_menu_change_value" />
        <key name="ml_menu_select_value" />
        <key name="ml_menu_cancel_value" />
        <key name="ml_selector_popup_title" />
        <key name="ml_selector_popup_message" />
    </admin-texts>
</wpml-config>

Now you can translate these strings into WPML > String Translation.

For some strings, such as the one you reported now, you can simply follow the steps in our documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/#admin_texts

For strings like "Favorites", unfortunately, the code needs to be changed so that the strings are translatable, as I posted above.

Thank you.

May 3, 2019 at 2:06 am #3729753

hlaingM

Thank you very much. If that plugin responsible for the text "Search All regions" is updated, would that remove all of these modifications?

May 3, 2019 at 2:28 am #3729981

Bruno
Supporter

This last modification does not. Even updating the plugins, the changes remain.

In the first change, in the "Favorite Ads" plugin yes, because there was a change in the code. So I suggested that you contact the plugin's author to make the strings translatable.

Thank you.

May 3, 2019 at 3:15 am #3730369

hlaingM

Yes, I just contacted the favorite ad plugin developer regarding this. Thank you very much for your help.