Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I like to translate the Gallery Categories of the Theme: Border from Pixelgrade. I do not know how as there is no link/information on the category page to do so.

Solution: You can make the Gallery Categories translatable by going to WPML → Settings → Taxonomies Translation and look for this taxonomy. Once you set it to Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language, you should be able to go back to the Gallery Categories and translate them.

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-post-categories-and-custom-taxonomies/

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
January 19, 2021 at 7:46 pm #7881565

frankG-32

Hello,

I like to translate the Galelry Categories of the Theme: Border from Pixelgrade.
I do not no how as there are is no link/information on the category page to do so.

Any help is appreciated!

Regards,

Frank

January 20, 2021 at 1:07 pm #7887625

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+02:00)

Hey Frank,

Thank you for reaching out to the WPML support!

You should be able to make the Gallery Categories translatable by going to WPML → Settings → Taxonomies Translation and look for this taxonomy. Once you set it to Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language, you should be able to go back to the Gallery Categories and translate them.
Can you give this a try and tell me how things work, please?

Thanks,
Radu

January 20, 2021 at 9:14 pm #7891765

frankG-32

Dear Radu,

Thanks for the help!

First I had to set, within a gallery, the option "Make gallery translatable" and the option "translate" before the gallery categories showed up under Taxonomies Translation. Then I could add the gallery categories to the menu!

Another question
The translated galleries do not show the images of the original gallery.
Despite the following under "Language":
1. "Copy content from German"-Button pushed + "Update"-Button [under "Published"] pushed. => Same result
2. The box under Media Attachment: "Copy uploaded media of the original" is/not ticked.

How can this be accomplished, to copy the images while the translated gallery is generated?

I do not now the right terms in English so what stands in quotes might [:-)] not be the reght ones.

Best regards,

Frank

January 21, 2021 at 1:40 pm #7897411

Radu
Supporter

Hey Frank,

I'm not sure how the Galleries from the Border theme are created so I'd need to have a look at this in order to see what can be done about the images, in order to see them on the translated categories.
In this case, could you give me access to the dashboard area, please? The next reply is set to be private so you can safely send me the credentials.

Thanks,
Radu

January 22, 2021 at 3:03 pm #7907671

Radu
Supporter

Hey Frank,

I'm afraid that I won't be able to tell you how to make the images from the original gallery appear on the translated gallery, without accessing the dashboard area of the website.

The options that you already checked are gonna work when the images are added inside the content as you can add on a page or on a post. However, the theme that you're using might save the images in a custom way, and that's why I need to have a look at this (but just a screenshot won't help me).

Thanks,
Radu

January 25, 2021 at 8:07 pm #7925519

frankG-32

Yes its still the case. Thanks very much for asking. When I set up the things on my website I will let you now. I hope this will be the case at the next weekend by the latest.

Frank

January 25, 2021 at 9:10 pm #7925775

Radu
Supporter

Hey Frank,

Sounds good. Just give me a message back when I can have a look at this.

Regards,
Radu

February 1, 2021 at 5:53 am #7973257

frankG-32

Dear Radu,

I yesterday added the needed information in the private message.

Thanks,

Frank

February 1, 2021 at 12:48 pm #7976979

Radu
Supporter

Hey Frank,

Thank you for giving me access to the dashboard area. Can you send me a link to a gallery where the images are not shown on the English translation, please? I checked this gallery:
hidden link

but I can see that the images are visible in both languages.

Thanks,
Radu

February 1, 2021 at 7:33 pm #7980923

frankG-32

Hey Radu,

please look at the gallery Nutria and/or Red Deer.

Thanks,

Frank

February 1, 2021 at 9:10 pm #7981315

Radu
Supporter

Hey Frank,

I was able to find out what's going on here. I edited the Nutria gallery:
hidden link

scrolled down to the bottom of the page, and pressed the Systemfelder anzeigen and found out that all the custom fields from this gallery were set to Nicht übersetzen .

All the images that you set for this gallery and all the options are saved in custom fields. While some custom fields don't need to be translated, the values of the gallery and of the options need to be copied to the translated gallery. That's why I set some custom fields to Kopieren (please see the attached image). Once I pressed the Anwenden button, updated the gallery, and updated the translation too, things were displayed fine on the translated gallery.

I checked the custom fields I changed and I could see that they are set to Kopieren by default, but somebody/something changed them to Nicht übersetzen at some point. But if you change them back to Kopieren, everything will be all right.

Thanks,
Radu

February 2, 2021 at 7:44 pm #7990359

frankG-32

Dear Radu,

Yes that solved the problem! I tried it with the gallery Red Deer! Voila.

Thanks a lot !

Frank

February 2, 2021 at 7:57 pm #7990449

Radu
Supporter

Hey Frank,

I'm glad to hear that everything works as expected now 🙂

I'll mark this ticket as resolved now but if you have any other issue or question, feel free to open a new ticket and we'll take care of it in no time.

Regards,
Radu