Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 17 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Alejandro 8 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
October 7, 2021 at 5:15 am #9737849

hollyJ

I wish to translate some testimonial texts. I am using an external plugin for testimonials, ie not the one bundled with Avada.

Currently the testimonials show on the french page - but in English (towards bottom of page in a testimonial slider).

How do I get the slider of testimonials to translate? Please note I do not want to translate all testimonials, only the ones on the pages that I translate (I won't be translating all pages in the site).

Screenshot 2021-10-07 at 06.13.29.png
October 7, 2021 at 9:03 am #9739237

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

In order to help you with this i need to know exactly how do you create the testimonial and how do you add such testimonials to a page. that way i can try to help you find a way to translate them.

Regards.

October 7, 2021 at 9:11 am #9739307

hollyJ

Thanks Alejandro, I create a rotator, and then create testimonials to add to the rotator. Shortcodes are created in both instances. Please see the screengrabs. I hope this helps. If you need to login as admin the credentials given to you before in the temporary admin still exist.

Screenshot 2021-10-07 at 10.07.54.png
Screenshot 2021-10-07 at 10.07.16.png
October 7, 2021 at 11:07 am #9740251

Alejandro
Supporter

Could you please install the plugin that creates the testimonial here and then create a rotator + testimonial: hidden link

Then, enable our WPML plugins and configure them with the languages on your site.

I'll try to test the plugin and let you know what you can do to successfully translate it.

October 8, 2021 at 6:52 am #9745455

hollyJ

Hi Alejandro,
Sorry for the delay, I was not in the office yesterday. Could you use a staging site instead, it seems simpler. I have created one for you which I can send details of securely if you can send a private link (I can destroy the site afterwards). If that doesn't work I will try to use the sandbox and get this set up over the weekend for you.

FYI the plugin works in very much the same way as the Avada sliders, ie one creates a slider and then allocates testimonials to it. - I wonder if I will need to create a new testimonial rotator to get them to work on the french side.

October 9, 2021 at 9:52 am #9751561

Alejandro
Supporter

Sure i can, i have enabled the credentials fieldsfor this purpose, they will be available in this next reply.

-------------------

I'll also need you to please:

- Disable all the other plugins that are not related to the testimonial workflow
- Let me know how you create a testimonial, how you add it to a rotator and where did you add one

these 2 things will let me test and understand what to do so i can find a possible solution faster.

October 9, 2021 at 11:07 am #9751759

hollyJ

Hi Alejandro,
I have set up the staging site and removed unnecessary plugins (security ones are still in place).
If we take the home page as the example (which is also the only one translated at the moment). I have attached screengrabs showing where the testimonials are made and how they are added to the testimonial rotator.

On the right hand side of the rotator you will see the associated testimonials which are on this rotator.

As you can see it works much like the Avada slider in this regard, hence me wondering if I need to add a separate french rotator as one would when using the Avada slider. I guess the trick is to find the way the testimonials can be added to translation.

I presume you can send me the secure link for login details to the staging site - or if you still have the details from my last request they will remain the same.

Screenshot 2021-10-09 at 11.40.40.png
Screenshot 2021-10-09 at 11.40.23.png
Screenshot 2021-10-09 at 11.39.52.png
Screenshot 2021-10-09 at 11.38.30.png
October 9, 2021 at 3:28 pm #9752743

Alejandro
Supporter

I had sent the credential fields in your last answer, hehe. i enabled them again so you can send me access to the site.

------------------
Is there a specific way why the security plugins are enabled? i mean if i need to run a few tests without other plugins, can i temporarily disable these security plugins?

Thanks in advance.

October 11, 2021 at 6:12 am #9756867

Alejandro
Supporter

Hi there, please check credentials since the first ones yo provided seem to be invalid (i think the problem is with the password).

Kindly double check them before i can try again because otherwise the system will block me since i only had 2 attempts.

October 11, 2021 at 11:04 am #9761051

Alejandro
Supporter

Step 1: Translate the testimonials.

To do so follow this guide https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-custom-posts/.

in your case you need to translate "Testimonials (testimonial)" and "Testimonial Rotators (testimonial_rotator)"

Step 2:
Translate the testimonials and the rotators.

Step 3:

Add this code in WPML> settings > Custom XML Configuration

<wpml-config>
    <shortcodes>
        <shortcode>
            <tag>testimonial_rotator</tag>
            <attributes>
                <attribute>id</attribute>
            </attributes>
        </shortcode>
    </shortcodes>
</wpml-config>

Step4:
Update the page where the rotator shortcode is (add a character to the title + save, for example) and update the translation.

Add then the new shortcode for the correct language (if you're translating manually) or translate the number you'll get in one of the translation fields using the translation editor (if you get one, if not, it should translate automatically) with the ID of the shortcode of the translated language

October 14, 2021 at 8:49 am #9787543
hollyJ

Hi there,

I'm sorry, but don't understand the last paragragh "Add then the new shortcode for the correct language (if you're translating manually) or translate the number you'll get in one of the translation fields using the translation editor (if you get one, if not, it should translate automatically) with the ID of the shortcode of the translated language"

Can you clarify this further.

Additionally, I wanted to trial translating using machine translation on the staging site, but it says I have no credits. My questions in this regard are:

1) How can I attach the staging site to my account?

2) At this stage I just want to trial the different aspects of WPML so will not be pushing to live, ie I will destroy the staging site.

3) I think I understand that if I do a translation eg to a testimonial and a rotator and then see how this looks it will cost me credits but I will need to re-do the translation on the live site again. Is this right?

Other questions:
One of the Avada slides in the home page translation has not translated (it also appears twice on the french side). I have tried to go in and edit one and now it is stuck on 'being translated'. How can I resolve this? see 'stuck-in-processing.png'. When open this for translation is where I am seeing 2 things:

a) the content is not translated in the title or button although it seems to say it is when using the automatic translation.
b) there are no credits - which I presume means the staging site is not attached to my account?

I had wanted to include media in specific pages I translate, but it appears that any new images I upload are automatically being translated (see newly-uploaded-images.png), and I am not sure why. In your knowledgebase I can see a screenshot (attached here as 'media-included-in-post.png) which shows media in a specific post that one can choose to translate, how do I achieve this?

What does the screengrab shown as Multilingual-setup.png mean? I don't understand the 'Make testimonials appear as translated'

New threads created by Alejandro and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/avada-slides-translations/

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/media-translation-53/

stuck-in-processing.png
newly-uploaded-images.png
Multilingual-content-setup.png
Media-included-in-post.png
October 14, 2021 at 2:12 pm #9790915

Alejandro
Supporter

Before i clarify on your doubt, can you tell me if you translate the pages with a translation editor or manually (without any WPML translation editor, as if it was just another normal WordPress page)

This way i can avoid telling things that could confuse you.

-------------------------------

1) Please refer to this guide: https://wpml.org/documentation/automatic-translation/automatic-translation-subscription-for-multiple-sites/

2) I can enable a "dummy" engine so you can use as many credits as you want without spending money. you won't get "real" translations and you'll have the real translation engines deactivated, but it will allow you to test everything you want 🙂

I would just need the url of the test site and i'll activate it for you.

3) Only if the sites are not connected, otherwise, you'll have to retranslate the page but the content will appear as translated in the translation editor, thanks to our Translation memory: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/how-wpml-keeps-track-of-your-translations/

--------------------------------

I'll separate this ticket to handle other questions because we can only answer one question per ticket and this one already has too many.

I'll answer them in the next ticket(s)

October 15, 2021 at 9:12 am #9795583

hollyJ

Hi Alejandro,
I will explain my workflow:

1) I have a CMS license.

2) I am doing the translations myself using machine translation (DeepL). I will then tweek manually where necessary. I am the only editor on the site currently.

3) I do not wish to translate all pages or all media, but will select those needed in French.

4) I do alot of edits on a staging site and then push to live. With Siteground this is a very efficient and easy method for testing and doing any changes that are extensive or involve trialling. In an ideal world I would like the option to create a staging site then translate several pages and then push to live. After pushing to live I then destroy the staging site. I can repeat this process as many times as necessary. This means the staging site name remains the same each time it is re-created (you are an additional person on that staging site currently so you have the details). As I get more familiar with WPML I will do more translations on the live site, but in the current trialling stage I want to understand how it works.

Additionally trialling and waiting for support updates and conclusions takes time so at the moment the staging site I have set up to trial WPML is now behind the live site (I have had to make updates to the live site - both plugins and content), I will destroy the staging site without pushing to live. I will then re-create a new one after implementing the details I have learnt from the staging site (in this case creating the xml files and other aspects to get the testimonials translatable).

5) I still have most of 2000 credits available, so have not yet set up a paid method. It looks like even though I have these credits I still need to set up my paid account at this stage. Can you confirm?

6) I think I understand that I can set content to show in its original language as fallback, which I wish to do for sliders and testimonials as it will take time to do all those translations, in the meantime I need to get the pages up there - even if part of the content is in English.

I hope this helps.
Many thanks
Holly

October 15, 2021 at 9:13 am #9795591

hollyJ

Sorry, the numbering of those issues is not correct.

October 15, 2021 at 2:36 pm #9798819

hollyJ

Hi Alejandro,
I have gone ahead and implemented the xml file on the live site while I wait to know how I might use the staging site.

So I have done the following:

1) added the xml information to make the testimonials become editable.
2) Changed the settings to ask it to make translatable using fallback language if needed
3) Translated the rotator on the home page called 'home'
4) Translated the 4 testimonials that are assigned to this rotator.

However, on the live site the home page does not show the rotator, and upon looking at the rotator, the testimonials are not assigned on the french side of the rotator, so I assume this where the issue lies. How do I attach the french side of the testimonials to the french rotator?

I can also see in settings that it says 'there is new translated content on this site. Should I 'translate the link targets'- what does this mean.

Finally I can see a setting of 'Make testimonials appear as translated', what does this mean?

Please see the screengrabs.
NB this is on the live site.
Many thanks

Please also note that I have switched back on the caching whilst it is not being worked on. You are welcome to turn it off whilst you access the back end of the site.

Screenshot 2021-10-15 at 15.22.46.png
Screenshot 2021-10-15 at 15.21.34.png
Screenshot 2021-10-15 at 15.16.40.png
Screenshot 2021-10-15 at 14.58.28.png
Screenshot 2021-10-15 at 13.41.50.png