Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 17 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Alejandro 7 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
October 16, 2021 at 8:33 am #9801929

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Ill answer your questions from: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/translation-of-testimonials-external-plugin/#post-9795583 but they apply to your last reply as well.

1) Ok
2) Perfect
3) No problem, that is ok, the translation is done using WPML > Translation media, so you can translate whichever you want. the images will start as "duplicated" (so the same image can be available in all languages) is that ok?

4) Right now this is what i would suggest: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/how-to-connect-the-sites-for-the-automatic-translation/

however if the workflow afterwards will be:

Live > Pushed to staging > Pushed to live again, then you won't need to follow the link i sent above, however that will work after you have everything in one site alone and push it to the other afterwards and not have 2 instances at the same time (in this last case, you'd need to connect both sites as explained in the link above).

5) In order to use the credits, you need to have setup an automatic translation account, yes, because you don't "have" 2000 credits, you don't really "own" the credits, because that would mean you paid for them in advance.

our payment model is: "use first, pay later" so you basically have at your disposal 2000 credits you can use and are going to be on us, every month, but they do not cumulate because, again, you don't own them.

For more details: https://wpml.org/documentation/automatic-translation/automatic-translation-pricing/

6) You can use the fallback mode to achieve what you want, probably, but please know that these elements won't appear if there are filters in place.

The best suggestion i can give you is to duplicate the content, that way you do it once and that's it, you don't have to update them or anything and they will actually exist in the other languages and not just "show", so if things doesn't work with the fallback method, you have a backup plan 🙂

To understand better the differences about these 2, please check this guide: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/

-----------------

You need to check if the rotator shortcode ID is the same on the translated languages, otherwise they won't display. you can do so by going to the page where you can see the rotator ID and then changing the language through the language switcher on the topbar of your site and checking the ID.

Then, edit the homepage and using the same method, to see if the shortcode is correct or not.

Let me know how it goes.

October 18, 2021 at 7:45 am #9807773
hollyJ

Hi Alejandro,
This is very complicated as the thread is so long now. Please can we split this into:
1) setting up staging sites
2) translating testimonial rotators.

Staging sites:

I have registered my live site with an subscription for translation. I then destroyed the old staging site and created a new staging site.

I have ticked the details saying this is a copy of the live site. By doing this, does it mean it uses the licence key of the live site, ie I don't need to register this as a separate site (use another of my 3 license keys), I have read the knowledgebase and this is still not clear to me.

On the staging site I have followed Translation Management > copy migration code.

On the live site I have followed Translation Management > Connected sites > submit migration code However it asks me what to do with the site: Move, Copy, Nothing. Which of these should I choose? Can you expand as to what each of the options mean.

------------

2) Translation of testimonials
I have checked and the rotator is not the same ID.

2a) Should I put in the new id for the french rotator into the french page. I am confused as when I go to edit anything in the french side as it comes up with an overlay (see screengrab) 'Warning, you are trying to edit using the standard wordpress editor, but your site is configured to use the WPML translation editor', why does this keep happening? I presume on each occasion I should continue to use the translation editor as I think I read that if I don't, things won't sync properly.

2b) The french rotator doesn't have any testimonials in it - does this mean I then have to manually add new codes for each testimonial for the french rotator? If so how do I go about it?

2c) I still don't understand where it says 'Multilingual content setup' with three choices - see screengrab. Can you explain this further please.

Many thanks
Holly

Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 08.09.48.png
Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 07.28.56.png
Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 07.00.42.png
Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 06.51.41.png
October 18, 2021 at 10:54 am #9809263

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

I also agree the ticket has become a bit polluted.

I have separated this last answer in 2 different tickets and i'll be answering them shortly. we will handle only one topic on each ticket so we can easily follow the conversation and the procedures.

In the meantime, i'll close this ticket.