We have just released WPML 4.3.3. Before reporting issues please make sure to update - this version resolves all known issues with the major WPML 4.3 release

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 34 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
March 10, 2019 at 5:51 pm #3306299

Mr. Ghost

I am trying to: Translate ACF fields

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: nothing to be shared

I have 2 issues, why do WPML keep old ACF fields in the database bloating the SQL database? These acf meta fields is removed but they stay in the database due to WPML want to translate them I assume. I want to keep it clean why do WPML keep them? How do i remove them?
See: hidden link

I've set all fields I want to be translate but they still do not pop up as translatable. When I try to go to settings or translation management I see a blank screen instead:
hidden link
hidden link

March 11, 2019 at 12:22 pm #3310877

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+01:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

I have marked all of you replies private. Now as for your question(s), for support rules we are able to handle only one issue at a time and this is especially important with recurring issues or more complex things. This practice also helps other WPML users to browse through resolved issues and to find solutions more easily.

Can we focus on one issue at a time here - is it about custom fields, Elementor, removing database entries or something else?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 12, 2019 at 8:17 am #3319183

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Would you like to take this ticket to a chat instead? All the communication will remain hidden there. This does sound like a ticket that would benefit from the chat feature we offer.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 13, 2019 at 8:38 am #3330825

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

It is possible that there were many chats in queue so the time has passed. I am not able to turn this ticket into chat, but let's resume here now. Since you've posted several messages already, may I ask you to summarize all your questions in one message so that I can give a proper reply for each of these in one take?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 14, 2019 at 7:48 am #3341091

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

These acf meta fields is removed but they stay in the database due to WPML want to translate them I assume. I want to keep it clean why do WPML keep them? How do i remove them?

Most plugins store some data into database and it does not get removed it you stop using them or even delete them. WPML is not an exception due to various data it stores int its tables and which are linked in different ways.
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-tables/

You could e.g. empty String Translation table if you want to delete them or use direct queries on database, since ACF fields should appear there as well:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/performance-issue-need-to-clean-string-tables/#post-1276948

I've set all fields I want to be translate but they still do not pop up as translatable. When I try to go to settings or translation management I see a blank screen instead:

This could be due to various reasons and would need to be checked further. I cannot give any specific answer for this before going through fixing/debugging process.

I also wonder how I translate following setup:
ACF fields for content
Elementor to template

This is also very broad question and I can suggest you start with https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/elementor/

But right now you take me as a user away from the wordpress platform and native wordpress functions and force me into the translation service

From what I gather from this, you are using Advanced Translation Editor, but you are not obliged to use it. You can use Classic Translation Editor or even manual translation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-different-translation-editors-for-different-pages/

You can decide this here:
WPML -> Settings -> How to translate posts and pages
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/advanced-translation-editor/
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-the-translation-editor/

I do not want to translate the acf groups just the content within the meta fields

You do not have to translate ACF groups to translate ACF fields into other languages. This is only useful if you have translators that speak different languages to make the backend easier for them e.g. ACF groups is different than ACF fields and you can set translation preferences for each ACF field.

I even disabled auto translate strings since this is the worst of WPML slowing down frontend, but it looks like it still auto register translation strings.

It would auto register strings from pages that use content built on ACF and this is the core functionality of WPML, because it needs to store this data somewhere and for translations.

- How do I delete translations, sent to translations etc I can not even delete them, just for future notice to delete things I by mistake clicked translate etc.

I am not sure which translations are you referring to - translations in translation management, string translation so something else?

However, as I mentioned before, for support rules we are able to handle only one issue at a time and this is especially important with recurring issues or more complex things. This practice also helps other WPML users to browse through resolved issues and to find solutions more easily.

Therefore, based on your reply and further question (unless it is a general thing and not a bug that needs to be fixed), I will split this ticket into other tickets because support rules are to be enforced for all our clients, I hope you understand.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 15, 2019 at 10:06 am #3352711

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

How do I get the automated translation to auto translate and then adjust the automation

See my image - is this the question? You would simply start typing inside and click the green button once you are done.

You activated the Advanced Translation Editor for this site, but you are updating an old translation. WPML opened the Standard Translation Editor, so you can update this translation. When you translate new content, you'll get the Advanced Translation Editor with all its features. To change your settings, go to WPML Settings.

Not sure what is the question here?

Images show "Field's value in original language: 1581" when I use normal editor what is this number coming from? Can't it say the image name instead?

I guess this may fall into feature requests and would make sense - however, WordPress stores images based on ID and using image names instead of their IDs, however, since ID is WordPress default and is meant to be used this way, may cause incompatibilities in other areas in the long run.

Is there any issues to use new translation framework which is nice and then go back to normal editor when we want to do so?

Generally we don't recommend this because Advanced Translation Editor uses its own translation memory and these should not be mixed.

From what I see they do not synchronize, which is not good at all, possible to make them synchronize?

Please see my message above and also: "The Advanced Translation Editor for WPML is a computer-assisted translation (CAT) tool that replaces the default translation editor. "
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/advanced-translation-editor/

So it is meant to be used as a replacement and not as an addon to CTE.

I manage to make ACF translatable now I think. But I do see the ACF groups to be having settings which says it's translated hidden link I think this might cause issue translating the groups in the new management but I can not delete the translation anywhere, I can only re assign and edit and translate unter "translations".

It is not necessary to translate Field Groups unless you want to translate the field labels (Field Label, Field Name, Instructions, Default Value, Placeholder Text, etc.)

You should only need to translate Field Groups in certain cases. For example, if on the front-end, you want to display different field labels for different languages.

https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/#translating-field-groups

But if you want to delete this ACF Group translation, you can open it in original language, use admin language switcher to change the language and delete that page (translation). It may also end up in trash, you will want to remove it from there as well.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 20, 2019 at 10:14 am #3387301

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

How are we solving a issue when you say it could be anything, yes easy answer but you don't suggest how to progress in the issue. Do you need debug log whatever, staging environment etc etc. No instead "it can be anything"? Please provide me help to solve my issues.

It is because I am not sure which issue are we resolving here, since I've had to answer at least a dozen of questions so far in between. This is the main reason why we enforce "one issue - one support ticket" rule. This is also how most other support forums works because if clients put 10 issues in one ticket alone, then other clients may wait days or weeks before they would get replies and also, it would be almost impossible for other clients who look for solutions to actually find them.

Let me know one issue which we should focus on here and I will provide more information on how will we proceed. Is it about translation service and blank screen?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 20, 2019 at 1:51 pm #3388809

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Ok, let's focus on that issue then.

In order to debug this issue further quickly, would you be willing to provide me with temporary WordPress admin username so I could investigate the issue directly? I have marked your next reply private so you can safely add this information.

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Please make a full backup of your site before sharing this info!

You can use plugins such as UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup Plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/updraftplus/) or ask your host to perform a site backup.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 26, 2019 at 1:01 pm #3462599

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

For the blank issue thing - would you be willing to provide me with temporary WordPress admin username so I could investigate the issue directly? I have marked your next reply private so you can safely add this information.

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Please make a full backup of your site before sharing this info!

Also:
hidden link

I am comparing this with:
hidden link

So is something showing up, or? How can I see the blank screen or this popup - where should I go once I enter the site?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 3, 2019 at 8:33 am #3523617

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I am using:
- Kubuntu 18.04 OS
- Chromium Version 73.0.3683.75 (Official Build)
- Firefox Quantum 66.0.2. 64-bit

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 3, 2019 at 2:53 pm #3527605

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I asked one of my colleagues who uses a Windows machine - it works for him.

hidden link

Can you record an issue so that I see that we are 100% on the same page here?
hidden link

Thank you!

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 3, 2019 at 7:00 pm #3529935

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Click on Media Translation Documentation link and when you return back, there will be an X on this popup and that's how you close it.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 8, 2019 at 9:49 am #3556289

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

1) See this: https://wpml.org/download/acfml/?section=changelog. From Version 1.1, you can set field translation preferences directly on the Field Group edit screen. So you open and field group, any field there and there should be translation preferences for each of these. As for deleting fields from database, I don't see this a a bug, but rather than a default behavior that may be improved. For this thing, I suggest you describe this here https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/, so t

2) See this https://wpml.org/forums/topic/wpml-drastically-slow-down-my-site-2/page/2/#post-3541827

3) You can mix them, but we don't recommend it. WPML -> Settings -> How to translate posts and pages is where you can change this.

4) When does this happen - which plugin does trigger this (which WPML addon)?

5) You would translate media images using new filenames through Media Translation, using your own image names changed beforehand, this is where you can also translate alt texts and other texts. You can also open Media Library and switch admin language to see galleries in different language.

6) Try changing WPML -> Settings -> Post Types Translation -> Field Groups (acf-field-group) to Not translatable or simply click select translation preference for any given element and click Update.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 11, 2019 at 1:16 pm #3588107

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I've asked our staff about the refund, however, since you've registered on 2018-09-22, 30 days trial period has passed long ago and it is up to them if they will honor the request or make an exception in this case, I can't give you any more information related to this. I will let you know how it goes.

When I uninstall WPML how do I make sure it's a clean uninstall, removing any trace of WPML. Database rows, tables auto_loads, and all files etc?

You would do it like this:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/remove-all-translation-data/#post-1271382

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 12, 2019 at 7:35 am #3595677

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

1) Clean what exactly? WPML way of cleaning the leftovers is through Troubleshooting -> Reset.

2) If you have a site with performance issues related to String Translation, please open a new ticket.

3) WPML -> Settings -> How to translate posts and pages -> Use WPML's Classic Translation Editor for both new and old content.

4) Please open a new ticket for this so that we can investigate.

5) If there is a specific issue with this on your site, please open a new ticket.

6) Yes.

7) I don't think I understand the question - can you provide a working example/images related do this?

We do not benchmark against other plugins. Our developers are improving each WPML version (with a specific focus on next releases of String Translation that should fix performance issues we've had) and fixing bugs along the way.

However, I encourage you to suggest any feature you think WPML users may benefit from:
https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

Regards,
Bruno Kos