Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 1 year, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Andreas W..

Author Posts
September 29, 2022 at 8:30 am #12147107

guyt-2

I am trying to update the content on my multilingual website which also includes the ACF plugin.

For some reason, the content is being removed or duplicated on the translation of flexible and repeater fields of the page I am working on.

I tried to follow the WPML documentation and set the custom fields repeater and flexible sections to "copy once" but it didn't work, so I tried all kinds of settings: "copy once" to the parent field and "translate" to the child fields/ "copy once" to the parent field and "copy once" to the child fields/ "translate" to the parent field and "translate" to the child fields. nothing worked for me.

hidden link

October 1, 2022 at 7:52 pm #12161887

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

All Repeater Fields should always be set to "copy once".

You should see a notification on the fields when editing the field group in case the config does not match.

Could the reason for the issues on your site be related to the fact that Field Groups have been set to "translatable" and have even been duplicated or translated?

If so, please take note of this known issue:
https://wpml.org/errata/advanced-custom-fields-field-group-should-be-set-as-not-translatable/

Let me know if further assistance is needed.

Best regards
Andreas

October 1, 2022 at 8:33 pm #12161919

Nicolas Viallet
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Hi,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. Thanks for contacting us.

We are currently handling a high amount of ticket and while waiting for one of my colleagues to help with this ticket, please allow me to walk you through some basic recommendations for ACF

- "Copy once" for special fields like "Repeater" and "Flexible"
And for all your subfields inside that repeater:
- "Translate" for all the fields you want to translate such as texts, WYSIWYG etc...
- Use "Copy" if you don't want to translate the field but keep the same value, for example for colors, true/false, images etc...
- "Don't translate" the field will not exist in the translation.

Please also note that changing back and forth the translation preferences of your fields might give the expected result if the page has been translated already (specially for copy once fields). I would recommend you to test it out on a new page every time you make changes until you're satisfied with your settings then you can go back to your original page and make small edits in your fields to force an update needed on the translation (and then resave the translation).

Nico

October 2, 2022 at 9:39 am #12164081

guyt-2

Hi there,

Thank you for your response.
As I said, I tried all kinds of settings and nothing solved the issue.
You say that new settings should be checked on new pages but I already have pages on the website that I am working on regularly every day. what do you suggest doing?
currently, all my repeater and flexible fields are set to "copy once" and the child fields are set to "translate".
But as I said, it makes issues, while editing the translated page the content on the main languages disappers or being copied from the translated language.

Thank you

October 4, 2022 at 2:59 pm #12178433

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

When using our ACF Multilingual Addon, which adds translation preferecne settings to each field, you should only translate those fields when translating pages or posts with the WPML Translation Editor.

The Addon is not designed for manual translations. If you do not translate your content with the WPML Translation Editor then please deactivate the ACF Multilingual Plugin.

In order to get a better look at the issue, I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP). It would be better for a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

IMPORTANT

Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

The steps are also shown in this video: hidden link

Best regards
Andreas

October 9, 2022 at 8:26 am #12208085

guyt-2

Hi there,
it seems that after I turned off the "acf multilingual" plugin. the issue didn't appear again but you may leave this topic open for a while because there are holidays here and my client not working on the website as usual, that is why I am not sure if the issue is completely resolved.

Thanks

October 11, 2022 at 6:47 pm #12222859

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

We also had a holiday on Saturday and I was on "weekend" on Sunday and Monday which is why I am replying today.

Please take note that the ACF Multilingual Plugin is only mandatory if you translate your fields with the WPML Translation while translating your pages and post.

This is why the plugin adds translation preference settings (copy, copy once, translate, ignore) to each ACF Field and those settings control which fields should show up in the Translation Editor, be copied in the background, or be ignored.

Currently, when ACF Multilingual is used, the ACF Filed Groups should be set to "Not translatable" at WPML > Settings > Post Type Translation.

If you disable the ACF Multilingual Plugin you will not be able to translate your ACF content with the WPML Translation Editor and you will need to translate any ACF fields manually on the backend.

If you need further assistance on this matter, please let me know. The ticket will remain open for a maximum of 14 days and close automatically if we will not receive any further reply.

In case you would like to use ACF Multilingual I can further offer to provide a test site on which we can try to replicate the issue, but I would prefer first to have a look at your translation preference and WPML settings.

Best regards
Andreas

The topic ‘[Closed] Translation settings on WordPress dashboard’ is closed to new replies.