This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Author Posts
May 13, 2019 at 3:15 pm #3799863

thorsetenM

I am trying to:
We often have pages translated from English into German and Greek and then some time later one or the other translation is missing or has the original English content in it. If this happens sometimes on the website itself the correct translation is still there and we just copy the text again into the corresponding fields in the WPML editor (local one). Other times the translated page completely disappeared and we can start over again.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link

I expected to see:
I would love to not loose my work all the time, some pages we have translated a couple of times now.

Instead, I got:
lost content

Additional Info:
back in the beginning of November 2018 I had this error message at an update. Repeated the update and everything seemed to work, so I skipped sending it in.

We have detected a problem with some tables in the database. Please contact WPML support to get this fixed.

Array
(
[language] => en
[context] => admin_texts_woocommerce_new_order_settings
[gettext_context] =>
[domain_name_context_md5] => 5e2031ead276eea5335f33b5aca23a60
[name] => [woocommerce_new_order_settings]subject
[value] =>
[status] => 0
[translation_priority] => optional
[allow_empty_value] => 1
)

May 14, 2019 at 12:00 am #3802261

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this: hidden link

Please, let me know if you need any additional details. Have a nice day.

May 14, 2019 at 5:48 pm #3809715

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. Unfortunately I am still not able to reach the wp-admin side of your website. Please, review your server settings for any firewall blocking, access restrictions of any sort such as .htaccess restriction, a third party security plugin and so on. Thank you for your collaboration, have a nice day.

May 14, 2019 at 6:19 pm #3809877

thorsetenM

I just logged in with the credentials I send you without any problem. Can you tell me what your problem is to log in? Maybe then I can look. On the site 'Shield Security' from One Dollar Plugin is running, but I don't see anything that could block you.

May 14, 2019 at 6:27 pm #3809947

thorsetenM

I just deactivated some rules with my content management provider, could you try again.

May 14, 2019 at 7:31 pm #3810353

thorsetenM

And you saw that on the login page you have to make a tick in the field "I am human", right?

May 15, 2019 at 7:20 pm #3819853

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. I took a closer look in your website in order to see some missing translations, the provided page at hidden link doesn't seem to be working anymore.

However, I took a look at the 'how to' page at hidden link and noticed all the translations are properly on place. If your issue is something that happens randomly then we need to understand the events that might cause it. For example: Do you see the issue happening when updating a translation? Does it happen on the plugin updates?

Also, I recommend you to keep all the WPML related plugins update to their latest versions. It would be nice if we had the clear steps on how to reproduce the issue here what doesn't seem to be something possible due the randomly nature of the issue. Please, let me know these details and we can proceed with alternatives for this issue. Have a nice day.

May 15, 2019 at 7:48 pm #3820023

thorsetenM

Hi Marcos,
I always keep all the WPML plugins up to date. And the Greek page that you mentioned was translated and is now missing again, or parts of it are missing again or have the original English text. Take a look at the Greek translation of the page 'Greek Red Easter Eggs' to see what happens.

The Greek translation of the page 'Boho Chic' was also gone a couple of days ago and re-translated by my employee.

When and why it happened, I have been looking for that for a few month now without finding any regularity. But some pages we have translated 3 or 4 times already. Very frustrating.

If WPML asks me to run the 'Translate Link Targets' again, it always takes a very long time and I don't remember exactly what it is called, but I think the second step scans over 45000 entries. Is that correct?

May 17, 2019 at 2:04 am #3830189

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

I am jumping here to let you know I will proceed with the migration process in order to debug your website using the provided duplicator package in your ticket at: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/product-attribute-not-translated/. I will update you here as soon as I got some more details regarding your issue. Thank you for your continued patience and understanding. Have a nice day.

May 23, 2019 at 2:35 am #3870433

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your patience while waiting for a solution. I took a detailed look in your using the provide snapshot. I noticed the issue happens on the pages translations when there's a parent > child relationship for these pages, for example: how-to/traditional-greek-easter-recipes/greek-red-easter-eggs/ has the following structure:

Parent page: How to
- First child page: traditional greek estaer recipes
--Second child page: greek red easter eggs.

I noticed the parent pages for the greek translation had a 'draft' status, when it happens the child pages will inherit these status and that's the reason you see a '404 not found' error when accessing a translated page which is a child page of a 'draft' page. I published all the parent pages and could access the child pages properly. Also I noticed it seems you send your pages for translation always some change is made for the default language page and doing so your translated pages gets a 'new translation is already in progress' which prevents it of being showed in the frontend.

For test purposes, please add a first level page (no child page) and add a translation for it and confirm if you see any sort of issue for this page. Please, confirm the behavior above so it can help us to further investigate it and provide you with a detailed and more accurate reply. Thank you for your collaboration and continued patience. Have a nice day.

May 23, 2019 at 10:59 am #3873929

thorsetenM

Hi,
so now I have a nice example of our problem. I was surprised that there was no translation for the page 'The Meaning of the Baptism'. So I went into the English page, saw that it was still the old style and since there was not translation any way I changed it to Gutenberg blocks. Everything works fine. I go back to look at my pages and suddenly three of the Greek pages above the one I edited suddenly have the gears symbol and one the arrows.

I look into the first one, 'Catholic Christening' and almost all of the translation are replaced by the English text. From experience I clicked on 'Cancel' and went to our site to the page 'hidden link' and all the translation is still there. Now I would have to copy the text from the published page into the translation and I have the state of before.

In the attached audit trail you can also see that I only edited the page 'The Meaning of the Baptism'.

So how can it happen that you edit one page and four others lose their translations??

And if you look through the other pages, quite a few now have the two arrows as the Greek translation status. I just took a look at Ireland and one translation is still there, but the tick for translated is missing. And again I canceled it, and it changed the symbol to the two gears?? And take a look at our published Greek page of Ireland, everything is there.
hidden link

Cheers,
Thorsten

May 23, 2019 at 11:08 am #3874249

thorsetenM

And now the Greek published pages are disappearing, I guess the cache is being updated.

And I'll leave it as it is for now, so that you can take a look.

If it would help you, there is a full backup under Tools from 2019-05-23-10-00-00 that should be the state just before I encountered the problem.

May 28, 2019 at 1:58 am #3901849

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates and sorry for the waiting here. Due the complexity involved in the issue I would need some extra hours to make a full test and issue replication. I will let you know as soon as I have some more details, I will do my best to assist you with the issue resolution in the short time possible. Thank you for your patience and understanding, have a nice day.

May 28, 2019 at 7:51 am #3903597

thorsetenM

Slowly this is getting frustrating. Just now I got an admin email from wordpress in greek. (see screen shot) I did no changes in the configuration of language that I am aware of. Why this now?
Edit: okay, the comment came from a Greek page, is that the reason? So if I set the admin language to English, any feedback coming from one of the other languages is coming in that language?

So I looked on the corresponding page and I noticed again that this translation is missing. The page is:
hidden link

May 29, 2019 at 3:38 pm #3917009

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. In order to make it easier for our second level support to access a copy of your website and debug it, I asked for a migration to our test servers at: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/product-attribute-not-translated/. As soon as the migration is done we'll take a detailed look in all the mentioned issues. Thank you for your collaboration and patience. Have a nice day.