Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Diego Pereira 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Diego Pereira.

Author Posts
October 28, 2018 at 1:49 pm #2856221

karenC-14

I am trying to:

Open two tabs inside of wordpress for an ACF Options field with WPML translations. One open to English and one open to German.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

Left side of wordpress admin, theme settings gear / navigation

I expected to see:

Be able to update both pages separately without worry of effecting other pages.

Instead, I got:

When I updated English it overwrote the German content with all English.

Notes:

The site is going live Monday evening so we don't want to be making any modifications to the theme until after launch. Wanted to get clarification on this issue in case there is simply a setting that can be saved.

October 30, 2018 at 11:54 am #2861520

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello @karenc-14, welcome to the WPML support Forum!

Does this happen with all page content, or just with custom fields? Usually the modifications on the original page do not override the content of the translation, unless the translation is defined as duplicate: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/using-content-duplication/

Please try the following:
- Go to the edit screen of the page (original language).
- Change the language using the Language switcher at the top admin bar
- Check if there is a "Translate Independently" button at the right sidebar. If so, click on It.

If the problem occurs only with custom fields, please try the following:
- Go to the edit screen of the page (original language).
- Scroll down to Multilingual Content Setup
- Check if some fields are set as "Copy". If so, set them as "Copy Once". This way they will be copied only at the first time.
- Click on Apply
- Scroll up, do a small modification at the page content and save
- Update the translation

Please let me know if it worked for you.

All the best,
Diego

convert_duplicate_to_translation.png
October 31, 2018 at 1:56 pm #2866110

karenC-14

Hi Diego,

The pages and other pages with ACF content have been working fine with the translate independently clicked.

This issue is specific to ACF Global Option feature handling the navigation. On the navigation page it never gives the translate independently option nor does it show the options at the bottom of the page. When you update the content without multiple tabs open - it doesn't overwrite. It's only if you have two tabs open each set to a different language. Attached is the field group in question.

Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 9.52.45 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 9.52.53 AM.png
October 31, 2018 at 7:11 pm #2867269

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi there,

I'm not sure if I understood correctly. Could you send me the credentials and the steps to reproduce the issue temporarily? Please use the private field to send the credentials.

IMPORTANT: Please backup your site first before making any change, this is important for security reasons.

Kind regards,
Diego

November 12, 2018 at 2:32 pm #2898975

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hi there,

Thanks! I checked with our development team and got the following feedback:

"ACF theme options are not working with WPML for now. The possibility to translate them switching languages (or setting them for All languages ) was added by the ACF development team.

You went to the options page, use the language switcher in the admin bar and set the options for each language. But this way of translating the options was abandoned in recent versions of ACF and was never supported by WPML."

We are working to add the translation of theme options created by ACF, but I can't provide an ETA of when this feature will be available.

I will keep you posted, but the development time of this feature may not be consistent with the schedule of your project.

If switching it to a compatible plugin is not an option, you may need custom programming work which is beyond the scope of our support.
https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/

At this point, I would suggest you consider contacting one of our certified partners from this link: http://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-contractors/

You will get the custom assistance you need to get on with your project.

Before doing so please have a look also here: http://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-contractors/guidelines-for-people-looking-for-consulting-help/

Let me know if my explanation was clear enough, please.

Kind regards,
Diego

July 28, 2021 at 12:43 pm #9299447

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Issue is already fixed. Closing the ticket.