Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by kim-schulzD 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
September 17, 2020 at 5:41 pm #7039559

kim-schulzD

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I am trying to translate my site to English. Some pages use pageEditor by SiteOrigin (pages like my frontpage).
I have followed https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/using-wpml-siteorigin/ and everything looks great and as expected until I translate a string in the SiteOrigin page and save it. The string goes back to the original text after the page has reloaded and the translated text is gone. If I go into the widget to edit it again, then it tells me that I can restore a newer text. This is my english translation. I save the change to the widget, everything looks good. I then save the page changes again and now it is back to being untranslated.

I am using WP Fastest Cache, but I have disabled it. Problem is still there.

Now I am running out of options and will have to abandon wpml for another solution if this cannot get to work
Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?

September 19, 2020 at 1:56 am #7049153

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

After turning off the WPML Translation Editor and duplicating the pages, did you make sure to set the translation as "independent" again?

See step 4)

https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/using-wpml-siteorigin/#translating-pages-widgets-based

If this is not the source of the issue, then the problem could be related to another plugin. We would need to test the site in minimal setup, with WPML only to see if the issue persists and take further steps from there.

I can offer to take a site copy for this purpose.

The private reply form is enabled in order to provide admin access to the site. Please also make sure to provide FTP access for enabling WP Debug and accessing the debug.log file.

Kind regards
Andreas

September 21, 2020 at 9:44 am #7057973

kim-schulzD

Hi,
I do not have Ftp but I can zip up the full site and give you a link for download. will that do?

I do think I have found the problem but will have to test a bit more.
It seems like if I make a siteOrigin page, then it does not work, but if I instead make a block editor page with a siteOrigin layout widget on, then it works. I have only done a quick test and will have to do some more testing in order to verify that it is infact the problem.

September 22, 2020 at 2:25 pm #7070525

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

It would be helpful if you at least could provide admin access. Were you able to verify if the translation do still have the state "duplicate"?

If you prefer provding a package please use one of the following plugins:

- Duplicator (up to 500MB)
- WP All In One Migration

I can also offer to create a test site on which you could try to recreate the issue.

Does the issue occur while running the site with WPML Plugins and SiteOrigin only and not any other plugin enabled?

Kind regards
Andreas

September 23, 2020 at 9:07 am #7077715

kim-schulzD

Issue turns out to be the difference between pages made with the block editor and pages fully made with siteorigin editor.

Does not work:
- create a new page that is fully edited via the siteOrigin editor (as done before the block editor in WP was available)

Does work:
- create a new page that used the page editor but uses the siteOrigin layout widget on the page.

The visual outcome on the ways is 99% identical so now I just have to convert my old pages from the first one to the working one.

Would be great though if you could support both types of siteOrigin solutions.