This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.68 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Cristina 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Cristina.

Author Posts
September 23, 2018 at 10:07 pm #2758999

danielG-109

I am trying to:review translation

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link

From page:
snjstaging.edgedriven.com/home translation

I expected to see: All of the Japanese that had already been translated using a professional service, which already shows up on the home page:
hidden link

Instead, I got:
hidden link
which asks for the translations again, and doesn't have the material which was already translated

September 25, 2018 at 11:33 am #2763500

Cristina

Hello Daniel,

thanks for contacting us on this and for the attached debug information.

If I understood correctly, there is already a japanese translation showing online on the page, and when you open the same page to review with the Advanced Translation Editor, you don't see any translated text when you click on the fields with the button "click here to edit translation".

If would need some information about this to understand the problem better:

What happens if you click the button to edit a translation in any field? Is it empty instead of showing a translation?

Did you translate this with the ATE editor with machine translation yourself or did you send the page for translation to any external service?

Are you set up as Translation Manager to be able to review the texts?

In case there has been any problem with the server to retrieve any translation, you as Translation Manger can go to the WPML -> Translation Management page and click the Check status and get translations button.

A different issue is if you were expecting to see alreay translated strings on the page.

If the translation has not been done before with the same translation editing mode as you are using now, it may have been stored differently and not show up.

This would happen if you translated the page for the first time with manual translation in the past. In that case you could be mixing the workflow, and mixing the translation modes can lead to problems.

If you have defined the Translation Editor oder the ATE as translation mode in the WPML Settings, this will be used as default mode for translations.

The Translation Editor saves the content in the WPML tables and wp_posts table.

But when using manual mode, changes in the original content are only updated in the native WordPress tables, but not in the WPML tables that the Translation Editor uses. Therefore the Translation Editor does not reflect changes made from manual mode.

If you have defined the ATE but you used the manual translation mode to make for the first translation that is now online, the translated texts will not appear in the Translation Editor and therefore will not show up in the mask.

This may be a cause to not see updates reflected correctly in the Translation Editor, and you would need to add the missing translation to the translation mask fields manullay and then save the page.

Once you have save a page in the ATE with 100% finished, the next time you update the original page, the already translated strings should show if you have defined in WPML > Setting the option to show already translated strings.

Looking at your debug information I see that you have several plugins installed. As WPML needs at least 128M to work smoothly and your WordPress memory seems to have only 40M, you may run into issues while scanning the theme.
Therefore it is advisable that you increase the memory limit to 256MB by adding this code to your wp-config.php, just before the line with “happy blogging” to avoid performance problems in the backend.

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

You will find the minimum requirements for WPML here:
https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

Further documentation about Translation Management can be found here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/advanced-translation-editor/

In case you can't get any stored or translated texts to show in the mask, please try to do this after clearing the cache and using the troubleshooting options to clean up in WPML > Support.

If that does not help I would need some more information about the errors. It would be good if you can provide me the WordPress debug.log (not WPML debug informations).

To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY',false);

With this, any PHP errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

If you can paste your debug.log to pastebin.com and provide me that link it would be great.

If you also want us to debug your site or have a look, I can enable the private reply box for your next answer, so you can grant temporary access to the site.

Kind regards
Cristina

The topic ‘[Closed] Translations not showing up in editor’ is closed to new replies.