This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 20 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shekhar Bhandari 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
July 3, 2019 at 6:11 am #4131991

hlaingM

I am trying to: make the translations of the data field values appear

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: images attached (Please see from slide 1 to 5 in order]

I expected to see: translations of the data field values of the data fields appear

Instead, I got: default English translations of the data field values.

July 3, 2019 at 10:05 am #4134457

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Welcome to WPML support. I'd be assisting you further on this issue.

If you enable "AppThemes WPML Bridge" and translate the strings with a name starting from value_cp_category, it's working.

But once the category is translated, the form doesn't work at all as it shows the name field is invalid.

Also, the fields shown in the single list are added as a custom field so you can translate the fields as mentioned here to show it properly. https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-custom-fields/

Since the bridge plugin is being created by the theme developer itself, can you once reach out to the developer and ask if it's possible to translate those fields and show it correctly?

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks

July 4, 2019 at 6:56 pm #4146011

hlaingM

Hi,

I have a bunch of questions.

2 of the images shown in your link are too blurry for me to see. So what do I have to select for out of 4 options (Don't translate, copy, copy once, translate) in WPML -> Settings page, clicking on the Multilingual Content Setup tab, and scrolling to the Custom Field Translation section?

Without enabling the WPML bridge, I was able to translate those field VALUES. But, I am NOT able to select those translated field values and submit the ad form. I tested it at a simple setup and got the same result with BOTH with WPML-bridge enabled and disabled condition.
hidden link

Could you check if the WPML settings are set correctly at my site? If you set the next message private, I can send you the credentials of my simple setup site.

Thank you.

July 5, 2019 at 3:26 am #4147245

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

what do I have to select for out of 4 options (Don't translate, copy, copy once, translate) in WPML -> Settings page,

Don't translate ==> If you don't want to translate the field
Copy ==> If you want to copy the field in secondary languages
Copy Once ==> Just copy once to the secondary languages
Translate ==> To translate the fields in the secondary languages

So please choose the options according to your need. 🙂

Yes, the settings seem to be correct. If you delete the strings and try to retranslate the strings without the bridge plugin, it shouldn't be possible.

Anyway enabled the private reply so you can send me the details.

Also, I would like to know if you contacted the theme author and if yes could you please let me know if they provided any feedback?

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

July 8, 2019 at 12:07 pm #4162221

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

What is the difference between "copy" and the "translate"?
Copy means copying the same texts in translations, it's like duplicating the same texts as translations.

What is the purpose of "copying"?
If you have a text for example "Test copying" in the default language and want to show the same text as translations you should use the "copy".

If I copy, will I not be able to "translate"?

Yes

If I "translate", am I not translating the copied contents?

When you translate you can "copy once" for the reference and translate it accordingly.

Is it referring to the translation of the slugs (value_cp_xxxxxxx)? or the translation of the field names?

Yes, can you delete this string once and see if this gets registered properly without the add-on?

Yes, I already contacted the theme representative regarding this issue, but it will take time to get back the feedback.

Thanks, let's wait for there feedback here since they are maintaining the bridge plugin, they would probably have more info about how to translate these fields properly.

Thanks

July 8, 2019 at 1:24 pm #4162891

hlaingM

Hi,

Just for the clarifications as there are a lot of confusions.

If you choose "translate" out of 4 options, does choosing "translate" override the original texts? (or) does it copy the original texts to translate?

I still don't see the difference between "copy" and "translatate" option.

And also the difference between "copy" and "copy once"?

At my site, I want to keep all existing texts (field names/ categories names) bilingual. But, the ads posted by the users should be as they are. They are NOT supposed to be translated. That means, regardless of the language the visitors switch ON, the identical ads should be visible to the visitors.

What options should I choose? Thank you.

July 9, 2019 at 11:54 am #4170333

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

If you choose "translate" out of 4 options, does choosing "translate" override the original texts? (or) does it copy the original texts to translate?

No, it will not override the original texts as well copy the original texts to translate, you have to translate it yourself.

An example:
English Text in a custom field: "Hello Text, How are you?"
When set to Copy in the French language it shows as: "Hello Text, How are you?"
When set to translate in the French language it shows how you add the translation for it. You have to add the translation manually.

And also the difference between "copy" and "copy once"?

The copy will keep copying the custom fields values from original language every time you update the original languages whereas copy once will not be synchronized and will only copy the value once in the translations.

If you want to show the ads to all languages, you should use this feature as mentioned in the documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

July 10, 2019 at 6:37 am #4176341

hlaingM

Hi,

Thank you for your explanation. I still do not see the difference between the "copy" option and the "translation" option.

"Copy means copying the same texts in translations, it's like duplicating the same texts as translations."

In both options, the original texts are copied and the users can still translate the copied texts?

Could you please help me out? Thanks.

July 10, 2019 at 6:42 am #4176361

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

While the fields are set as copy, it's not available for translation at all.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

July 10, 2019 at 6:47 am #4176363

hlaingM

Hi,

When you said "fields" are not available for translation, what does the "fields" refer to? Is it the slug name of the field? the name of the fields visible to the visitors? (or) field values for the "fields"? that are not available for translation.

Thanks.

July 10, 2019 at 6:48 am #4176367

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Field values aren't available for translation.

Thanks

July 10, 2019 at 8:24 am #4177267

hlaingM

Hi,

Didn't I translate the data field values as shown in the attachment?

Thanks.

July 10, 2019 at 8:29 am #4177317

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

Yes, you translated it.

If you want you can use our chat support for similar queries so it will be easy to answer the questions in quick.

Thanks

July 10, 2019 at 9:58 am #4177965

hlaingM

Hi,

(1) You said a while ago that "Field values aren't available for translation." But, then how was I able to translate those field values if they are not available for translation?

(2) I still have not got the answer for that. "I still do not see the difference between the "copy" option and the "translation" option.

"Copy means copying the same texts in translations, it's like duplicating the same texts as translations."

In both options, the original texts are copied and the users can still translate the copied texts?"

Regarding the chatting, 9 out of 10 times, the issues ended up being a ticket as there seems to be no one available for chatting.

Thanks.

July 10, 2019 at 12:05 pm #4179943

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

(1) You said a while ago that "Field values aren't available for translation." But, then how was I able to translate those field values if they are not available for translation?

I said that if fields are set as copy, then field values aren't available for translation.

The field that you are translating right now is registered using WPML coding API on the bridge plugin, so it's available for translation.

I still have not got the answer to that. "I still do not see the difference between the "copy" option and the "translation" option.

While the fields are set as copy, it's not available for translation at all and copied in the background.

While the fields are set as translate, it's available for translation.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

The topic ‘[Closed] translations of the data field values NOT appearing after submission of posts’ is closed to new replies.