We have just released WPML 4.3.3. Before reporting issues please make sure to update - this version resolves all known issues with the major WPML 4.3 release

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 20 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shekhar Bhandari 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
July 13, 2019 at 8:00 am #4203097

hlaingM

Hi,

"I said that if fields are set as copy, then field values aren't available for translation."

(1) Does it mean that if "fields" are set as "translate, their corresponding "field values" are available for translation? If it does, there is no need for the bridge plugin, then as you claim.

(2) In that statement, I assumed you did not mistype the "fields" and "field values" which are of different terminologies. These are 2 different things. Each field can have one or multiple field values. Usually, each field has field values in the forms of "options list" or "drop-down lists" at the front-end.

(3) I do not understand how setting the "fields" as "copy" or "translate" could be affecting the capability of their corresponding "field values" to be translated.

Could you please help me out? Thanks.

July 15, 2019 at 3:53 am #4206853

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Does it mean that if "fields" are set as "translate, their corresponding "field values" are available for translation? If it does, there is no need for the bridge plugin, then as you claim.

The bridge plugin is registering the fields for translation, there is no way to set the fields to translate without custom API code done on bridge plugin.

In that statement, I assumed you did not mistype the "fields" and "field values" which are of different terminologies. These are 2 different things. Each field can have one or multiple field values. Usually, each field has field values in the forms of "options list" or "drop-down lists" at the front-end.

No, I will assume an option list or drop-down list also as field and it's valued as the field value.

I do not understand how setting the "fields" as "copy" or "translate" could be affecting the capability of their corresponding "field values" to be translated.

All the values are stored in the database with the field name, so it will affect it.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks

July 15, 2019 at 4:53 am #4207079

hlaingM

Hi,

I am so confused. Let me ask one question after another.

"I said that if fields are set as copy, then field values aren't available for translation."

In that statement, did you mean that "fields" and the field values" mean the same thing? You were just using the words interchangeably?

Thanks

July 15, 2019 at 5:03 am #4207083

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

When I mention field/fields it means Field name(id), Field label, the field value. Let me know if this is helpful.

So with WPML when you set the field name(id) as "copy" the value is copied, and when you set the field name(id) as translate the value will be translated.

Thanks

July 15, 2019 at 5:28 am #4207159

hlaingM

Hi,

Oh!

By definition, "field (field name)" and "field value (field value names)" are different things if you look at images attached.

That's why I am having a hard time understanding you. Please look at the attachments and clarify what you meant by the terminologies you use. I am trying to understand your statement.

Thanks.

July 15, 2019 at 11:41 am #4210559

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

You can understand more about fields here that I am referring to
+ https://wordpress.org/support/article/custom-fields/
+ https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-custom-fields/

The theme looks like modifying the field and providing you option to create/edit.modify those fields name, and values. Since the modifications are also done using some new fields, you can just set the translation preferences for the new fields. Being so you can set the field values to translate the values.

If you say, I would term the field values as (field name) and the values as field values. [Screenshot attached]

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

The topic ‘[Closed] translations of the data field values NOT appearing after submission of posts’ is closed to new replies.