Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by kimberleyL 1 year, 9 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
October 29, 2018 at 5:14 pm #2858912

kimberleyL

The website has been successfully translated. I have used the String Translation area to replace some missing translations.

I searched for "Special sizes are available upon request" it returned some options and I updated the translations. See screenshot.

Then I went onto one of the product pages (hidden link) and most of the translation has been wiped out, it's all in English. I then go to edit the translated page by clicking the pen next to the english page and I'm not even able to see the content to be translated. Screenshot attached.

What have I done wrong? Why would all my translations be wiped out. I don't have a back up. What can I do?

Thanks
Kim

October 31, 2018 at 9:55 am #2865110

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

I will try to help you.

1. You asked: "What have I done wrong? Why would all my translations be wiped out. "

The first thing that comes to mind is that you mixed the modes of translation between using the Translation Editor and the native WordPress (manual) editor. Could this be the case?

This situation is described in this errata:
https://wpml.org/errata/editing-translated-shortcodes-with-wordpress-native-editor-removes-them-from-wpml-translation-editor/

When you use the Translation Editor, you are updating a different table than what you are updating when you use the native wordpress editor directly. Mixing the two methods when translation jobs are already opened, can cause that what the String Translation becomes out-of-synch with the actual post content.

I am not sure if this happened to you, but it is a possible explanation.

2. You wrote: "..I don't have a back up. What can I do?.."
I am afraid that if you do not have a system backup, and the content has indeed been overwritten or deleted, there is nothing you can do but re-translate the data.

I wait for your feedback/questions.

November 1, 2018 at 10:15 am #2868440

kimberleyL

Hello Yvette, thank you for getting back to me with your reply.

Firstly, just to clarify on the link that you provided: does the spinning wheel in the article also attribute to the spinning wheel that I have uploaded?

To confirm: we have been using a mixed mode of translation.

Ultimately we would like to gain the fields missing in the translation editor. What is the solution to getting these missing fields back?

Thanks again and I look forward to your reply.

November 1, 2018 at 10:40 am #2868499

Yvette
Supporter

1. Icon graphic
The icon you uploaded is our "circular arrow" icon that indicates a status of "Update required".

Yes, it is the same as the article.

2. You asked: "we would like to gain the fields missing in the translation editor. What is the solution to getting these missing fields back?"

Do you mean that you would like to get the content that is visible in String Translation back into the Translation Editor fields?

If so, to my knowledge this is not possible. However, you can try the following but if it does not work, then I regret that you will have to literally cut and paste each string into the Translation Editor again.
- Before anything, take a system backup of the site as it is now so it can be restored if the following steps do not work
- Then try exporting the page elements to a .po file in the String Translation table just to save them somewhere and not lose them.
- After this, Swtich editing mode to Manual Translation
- Edit the translated post and "unlink" it from the original post by setting the field "This is a tranlsation of" to "none"
- Save translated post (it will be a standalone post now in the 2nd language)
- Edit the original post
- Click on the "Translate" icon "+"
- When the Translation editor opens....PERHAPS...the existing string translation contents will get inserted into the editor...perhaps not.
- If it does not....check the String Translation table for the page-builder strings...is the language still there? If not, try importing the .po that you exported previously.
- If the string tranlsation table still has the page-builder string translation but they still don´t appear in the editor, I suppose your only option is to cut&paste the contents of each String in the table to the editor.

November 1, 2018 at 11:04 am #2868606

kimberleyL

Morning Yvette,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

To answer to 2; I've provided additional screenshots to help clarify if the answer provided is the solution to the issue.

The screenshots provided display 2 windows. On the left is the wordpress Visual Composer and the right shows WPML's Translation Editor fields.

So in this example the paragraph 'The Ervin technology for stainless steel abrasives...' is not shown on the Translation Editor fields.

Because of our original query with the string translation I think there has been some confusion. We are not using string translation and yet as demonstrated in the screenshots the translation text edit boxes are missing; this is the issue that we face now.

I hope this helps paint a more clearer picture.

Thanks again for your reply and I look forward

November 1, 2018 at 11:28 am #2868685

Yvette
Supporter

Oh- this is a much less dire situation!

So, now I understand that the particular pagebuilder element that holds the text "The Ervin technology for stainless steel abrasives.." is not loading into the Translation Editor.

Question:. Was the element loading previously / at some point in time? or was it always missing?

1. Element loading previously but currently not loading
Please go into that element in the original page and introduce a change in the content. It can be anything like an extra blank. Then "save" the post and open the translation editor again. Does it now load?

2. Element was never loaded into the Tranlsation Editor
In this case, the XML is missing to recognise this particular pagebuilder element and needs to be added to the following screen:
WPML>Settings>Custom XML Configuration

using the format described in this article:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-integration-with-page-builders-that-use-shortcodes/

Have we now understood the issue?

November 1, 2018 at 4:48 pm #2869493

kimberleyL

Thank you Yvette, point 1 addressed the issue!