Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by krisH-3 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
July 25, 2021 at 7:42 pm #9267993

krisH-3

I'm trying to set up WPML to show the translation in a different URL. I previously had this running using the language parameter option but am trying to switch to use a different domain.

The main domain is coprbayswansea.com and I'm trying to show the translation as being on baecoprabertawe.com.

I have the redirect set up in Plesk and was getting redirected to coprbayswansea.com when trying to visit baecoprabertawe.com. I have set up the SSL certificate to include the domain alias and that looks to be working.

At the moment when I use the language switcher the link shows correctly when I hover over it, i.e. looks like it's going to go to baecoprabertawe.com but the domain name remains as main English domain and the content remains as the English not the translated content, so looks like some redirect are happen but it's not showing the translated content and just reverting back to the main english domain name and content.

Just to add, before setting the alias in Plesk, I tried doing it via the domain name by adding an alias DNS record. It didn't look like that was working and the domain provider said it should probably be an alias in Plesk rather the DNS. I've now removed that DNS alias record but not sure if that might be causing the issue?

July 26, 2021 at 12:56 am #9268357

krisH-3

-- Update --
I think this is now resolved, I ended up setting up the Alias in Plesk and as a DNS record, but with the Plesk Alias I removed the HTTP 301 redirect option which was automatically applied which looks like it's solved the issue.
Would be very helpful if the documentation for this is clearer.

July 26, 2021 at 6:18 am #9269387

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi there and thank you for sharing this with us.

We definitely try to explain things as well as we can in our documentation pages but sometimes, it can be almost impossible to tackle each case where our customers have a very specific server set-up using a unique type of configuration.

I am super happy to hear that the issue is now resolved and I want to also thank you that you shared with us what you did to get things working!

Hopefully, that will also help others running the same server configuration.

I wish you a lovely rest of the week.

Mihai Apetrei

July 26, 2021 at 9:37 am #9270779

krisH-3

My issue is resolved now. In the documentation for this setting it would be useful to explain what type of Alias you are referring to.