This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by matthiasS-23 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
September 13, 2018 at 11:40 pm #2733265

matthiasS-23

Since I updated to WPML Multilingual CMS (Version 4.0.7) my backend features and plugins do not work properly or at all. For instance the media gallery doesn't show properly, I cannot edit time stamps in pages, many plugins do not react at all (e.w. WP Sweep) and I even cannot edit some featues in my Enfold CMS. They only work when I deactive WPML Multilingual CMS (Version 4.0.7) for the time being and then I reactivate it afterwards. This is quite disturbing and I have made many test with other plugins but came to the solution that WPML Multilingual CMS (Version 4.0.7) is the plugin that's causing the trouble. My system is completely up-to-date (latest WordPress, latest PHP etc.). Do you have any idea how to fix that?

September 14, 2018 at 11:06 am #2735179

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

I will be helping you with this. Do you mind if I have a look at your site?

1. Please activate WP-Debug mode to see if we can retrieve any additional information about the problems by adding this to your wp-config.php

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

2. Temporary Access to your system
Please provide access to your system (wp-admin and ftp) so that I can further investigate this particular problem. The fields to provide this data are included in a private section that I will open for your next response. You can find it above the comments area. The information in this private section is only visible between WPML Support and you.

Thanks

September 14, 2018 at 1:20 pm #2735460

matthiasS-23

Hello Yvette,
Many thanks!

I'm a bit helpless at the moment because my admin manager died recently and so I have to learn more about this stuff by myself. First of all I do not know how to activate the WP debug mode. Tried it but the system crashed and so I uploaded a file from my backup via ftp in order to save the system.

So here are the credentials you might need to work with:

<Moved by WPML SUPPORT >

Many thanks & all the best,
Matthias

September 14, 2018 at 2:52 pm #2735801

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

That´s sad news about your sys admin. Sorry to hear it.
1. wp-config.php
I think you should ask your hosting suport to edit the wp-config.php file for you and add these entries to it:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

I tried to do this for you by connecting through FTP, but there were issues with the security certificate. I then tried by installing the File Manager plugin on your site but I get an error message that says the file is not in UTF8.

2. Your various problems.
You still have the default memory set to be 40M for your installation. The minimum for WPML to work properly is 128M but given the size of your installation and the fact that you have up to 256M to allocate, I think you will be better off setting the limit to 256M.

The above entries in the wp-config.php will do that for you.

3. Once you have gotten the file edited. Please try to do the various options again and see if you are still having the same issues and write back to me.

THanks

September 18, 2018 at 11:54 pm #2746707

matthiasS-23

Hi Yvette,
Just seeing now your post now (did not get an eMail). Will see to get the 128M thing done asap.

Meanwhile I found a very interesting plugin named "WP Engine PHP Compatibility Checker". It seems there is some PHP trouble going on and I though you should know that. Maybe it helps you fixing some things from your end.

All the best,
Matthias

And here's the result for "WPML Multilingual CMS (Version 4.0.7)" in my system:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOUND 0 ERRORS AND 1 WARNING AFFECTING 1 LINE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
28 | WARNING | The "result" parameter for function parse_str() is missing. Passing this parameter is no longer optional. The optional nature of the parameter is deprecated since PHP 7.2

FILE: /home/www/wp.compofactur.biz/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/utilities/wpml-data-encryptor.class.php
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOUND 15 ERRORS AFFECTING 3 LINES
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
55 | ERROR | Function mcrypt_create_iv() is deprecated since PHP 7.1 and removed since PHP 7.2; Use random_bytes() or OpenSSL instead
55 | ERROR | Extension 'mcrypt' is deprecated since PHP 7.1 and removed since PHP 7.2; Use openssl (preferred) or pecl/mcrypt once available instead
55 | ERROR | Function mcrypt_get_iv_size() is deprecated since PHP 7.1 and removed since PHP 7.2; Use OpenSSL instead
55 | ERROR | Extension 'mcrypt' is deprecated since PHP 7.1 and removed since PHP 7.2; Use openssl (preferred) or pecl/mcrypt once available instead
55 | ERROR | The constant "MCRYPT_RIJNDAEL_256" is deprecated since PHP 7.1 and removed since PHP 7.2
55 | ERROR | The constant "MCRYPT_MODE_ECB" is deprecated since PHP 7.1 and removed since PHP 7.2
55 | ERROR | The constant "MCRYPT_RAND" is deprecated since PHP 7.1 and removed since PHP 7.2
69 | ERROR | Function mcrypt_encrypt() is deprecated since PHP 7.1 and removed since PHP 7.2; Use OpenSSL instead
69 | ERROR | Extension 'mcrypt' is deprecated since PHP 7.1 and removed since PHP 7.2; Use openssl (preferred) or pecl/mcrypt once available instead
69 | ERROR | The constant "MCRYPT_RIJNDAEL_256" is deprecated since PHP 7.1 and removed since PHP 7.2
69 | ERROR | The constant "MCRYPT_MODE_ECB" is deprecated since PHP 7.1 and removed since PHP 7.2
88 | ERROR | Function mcrypt_decrypt() is deprecated since PHP 7.1 and removed since PHP 7.2; Use OpenSSL instead
88 | ERROR | Extension 'mcrypt' is deprecated since PHP 7.1 and removed since PHP 7.2; Use openssl (preferred) or pecl/mcrypt once available instead
88 | ERROR | The constant "MCRYPT_RIJNDAEL_256" is deprecated since PHP 7.1 and removed since PHP 7.2
88 | ERROR | The constant "MCRYPT_MODE_ECB" is deprecated since PHP 7.1 and removed since PHP 7.2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOUND 0 ERRORS AND 1 WARNING AFFECTING 1 LINE
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
218 | WARNING | INI directive 'mbstring.func_overload' is deprecated since PHP 7.2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOUND 0 ERRORS AND 2 WARNINGS AFFECTING 2 LINES
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
87 | WARNING | INI directive 'mbstring.func_overload' is deprecated since PHP 7.2
91 | WARNING | INI directive 'mbstring.func_overload' is deprecated since PHP 7.2

September 19, 2018 at 7:01 am #2747478

Yvette
Supporter

Interesting.

Let´s take it one step at a time and then tackle the rest.

Waiting for your signal and news regarding the increase of memory to continue the troubleshooting exercise.

Kind regards

September 19, 2018 at 6:09 pm #2749744

matthiasS-23

Hi Ivette,
Meanwhile my theme crashed and I reconstructed it. It's now more ore less working again but the issues are still the same and it's not stable at all. Can't edit the theme and the plugins while WPML is active. The main issue is that I lost some details re. header menue, sidebar menue and footer menue for both languages. When I switch off WPML I can edit them but they are only edited in the main language (German). So the English version is still not working as I had it before all the trouble came. So making some changes in the theme is quite tricky at the moment because it affects also the English version and that should be not the case. My English version is not exactly the same as the German version.

Now the 256M issue is fixed. Also my hoster made some database repair routines and fixed everything what can be done on his end.

If you do have any idea what to do about it, let me know. I have created a new login account for you in case you need to look into it in more detail.

<removed>

Just seeing that a new update is coming soon. I would be more than happy if that update would fix my problems. Before the update everything worked always fine and I never had any issues with WPML. Quite the opposite: I liked it very much. But now it's very time consuming for me because I have to work in WP much more because so many things crashed in the backend and also in the frontend.

Many thanks & all the best,
Matthias

September 20, 2018 at 7:36 am #2751208

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

I see that you only have installed the WPML CMS plugin and no other modules: WPML String Tranlsation, WPML Media Tranlsation , WPML Tranlation Management ...etc.

Is this intentional and has it always been this way?

With the WPML CMS plugin alone, you can only translate user data content like posts and menus.

Theme options and strgins will not be translatable. For media, you need to duplicate all the images on your site so that they show up in all language spaces.

Currently, when I visit your site, the main page looks odd - as if it is missing a style sheet (see image). My recommendation to you is to keep WPML deactivatead and get the site looking like it should and that it be stable.

Make a restorable backup of the stie. Then, I can take a duplicator snapshot of your site and work on it locally.

September 20, 2018 at 9:08 am #2751574

matthiasS-23

Hi Ivette,
Thanks for checking. Yes, I never had any other plugins installed. I'm translating all the menues and pages by myself but always was able to work on two language set-ups in my theme. If I understand this correctly I need now more modules in order to keep the system running. So far I never needed to duplicate media for the translated pages.

At the moment WPML is deactived but the main page is nevertheless corrupted. Give me about an hour or so to make a restorable backup and we take it from there. Also please let me know whether I have to install more modules.

All the best,
Matthias

September 20, 2018 at 9:59 am #2751685

Yvette
Supporter

OK.

Please read this link:
hidden link

For Enfold, you can syncrhonise the different theme options between languages by importing/exporting the settings as described.

In this case, you may not need to install any additional WPML plugins to get the theme options the same across all languages.

Can you try this?

On the other hand, this article, suggests that you will need the extra modules if you are using the buider to translate pages:
https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/enfold/

September 20, 2018 at 10:32 am #2751751

matthiasS-23

Hi,
The first article obviously is about Enfold child themes. I do not work with a child theme. I'm still asking myself why it always worked without any issues and why I'm now having issues since I updated to 4.0.7.

I will check the other article in more detail and see what I can do from my end to fulfill the requirements esp. concerning 4.0.7.

Can you please delete the png from your last post? It's visible to the public when they click on this forum topic and I would prefer in this case having my website details as private.

Thanks & all the best,
Matthias

September 20, 2018 at 12:24 pm #2752074

matthiasS-23

Hi Ivette,
Meanwhile I have made a restorable backup so you "can take a duplicator snapshot of your site and work on it locally".

Also, I have now installed WPML String Translation and WPML Translation Management in order to fulfil the Enfold needs. However, I can't activate Translation Editor for some reasons. Do you have an idea why?

Anyway, the frontend is still broken.

All the best,
Matthias

September 24, 2018 at 12:04 pm #2760345

Yvette
Supporter

I´m sorry for the delay in responding - I fell ill and had to take some time off.

1. Translation Editor
Please complete the setup steps in WPML -> Translaiton Management
Then see if you can set the Translation Editor.

2. Duplicator
I am doing this now - thanks

3. Front-end
This problem is not related to WPML. I just wanted to make sure that you confirm this.

Kind regards

October 1, 2018 at 4:09 pm #2778696

matthiasS-23

Hi Ivette,
Do you feel better now? I was offline for a couple of days.

ad 1. Translation Editor
This is a vicious circle, I'm afraid. All tests in my current system in the recent past have verified that I cannot set anything in my theme and in all plugins when WPML is activated. So I also cannot set anything in the Translation Editor, which needs WPML activated...

ad 2. Duplicator
Did you find anything that's helping to fix the problems?

ad3. Front-end
Not sure. Never had this problem before but do have a lot of trouble now since I updated to WPML 4.06/4.07

Let me know how to proceed now? If you do not see that you can find a solution in the nearer future I may need to ask someone else.

All the best,
Matthias

October 1, 2018 at 11:00 pm #2779618

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

On the clone of your site that is installed on my local server I was able to:

1. Complete the installation/configuration of the Translation Management module
I went and completed this as well on your site, you should add your own userid as a Translation Manager and translator now.
2. Save Enfold options
In fact, I saw that the reason your frontend looked so strange was because the Enfold home page theme option was not set. I set it to be page "Wilkommen!" and it looked much better. This is/was not a WPML issue.

I went to your site and also set the homepage theme option - and the site looks good there too.

3. Menu Synchronisation
I then executed WPML -> WP Menu Synch tool
This completed with no issues so all menus are the same in DE and EN langauges

4. Editing Publishing Date on pages
I was able to change the time stamp on a private page with no issues

5. Other issues
Please detail the issues you say you are still having.