This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marcos Vinicios Barreto 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcos Vinicios Barreto.

Author Posts
July 25, 2019 at 2:28 pm #4284229

Riki Douglas

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Trying to translate the entire site to Japanese starting with the homepage. After making two translations, the site became messed up. I also noticed that the Language icons are not in line with the main menu items either. Very very frustrating.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
Youtube Video: hidden link

Is there a similar example that we can see?
No

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

July 25, 2019 at 2:49 pm #4284401

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I took a look at your website and noticed the language switcher is not aligned to your main navigation. Can you please, provide us with a detailed description of all the issues you are facing in your website after WPML usage? It will help me to understand the cause of it and provide you with a detailed and accurate reply. Thank you for your collaboration, have a nice day.

July 25, 2019 at 3:07 pm #4284485

Riki Douglas

Hi. Yes, the icons are not in line with the main menu! I changed 2 sentences on the Homepage to Japanese then saved them. Then the site had changed to what you see below. There is nothing more to add.

July 26, 2019 at 12:07 am #4286295

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this: hidden link

Please, let me know if you need any additional details. Have a nice day.

July 26, 2019 at 8:51 pm #4291765

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the provided details. I took a closer look in your website and actually WPML is not the culprit here for the hidden flags issue, your theme is customizing the default WordPress menu output and in these cases theme authors end up causing icompatibility with the proper functionality of WPML features. If you test it with the default WordPress theme you will notice the language switcher works as it is intended to be. In order to fix it I entered a custom CSS code in your WordPress Dashboard > WPML > Languages > Language switcher options > Additional CSS and now the flags are showing properly aligned while the language names are hidden as you can confirm in the attached screenshot.

As regarding the setup instructions I really recommend you to take a detailed look in our official docs and resources here: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/.

The different WPML addons will provide you with more features to make it easier to translate your themes and plugins, although you are still able to translate your post and pages content using the WPML Multlilingual CMS plugin alone.

Please, don't hesitate in count on uns whenever you need our help to setup your multilingual website the way you intend, we are happy and ready to help. Have a nice day.

July 28, 2019 at 8:16 am #4295129

Riki Douglas

Hi Marcos,
I have seen the flags in the correct position now. Thank you for fixing that issue.
However, now I would like to know a few things about the actual translating.
I have taken a look at the documentation you sent me but it really doesn't explain how you should start translating from a beginners prospective.
My aim is to translate 3 pages, 1.Homepage 2.Virtual Tour Page & 3.Contact Form.

1. I'm starting with translating the homepage and I click on the Japanese plus sign. The page only shows 3 rows of translation work and not the entire content of the English homepage. Can you please explain to me why its only showing 3 rows? Also after I complete these 3 translations and go back to Pages list, it doesn't show the pencil icon to mark as complete.
Could you please tell me step by step how to translate the homepage for starters. I'm not even sure if its the first thing I should be doing. Please see the screenshots below.

2. Your comment:
"The different WPML addons will provide you with more features to make it easier to translate your themes and plugins, although you are still able to translate your post and pages content using the WPML Multlilingual CMS plugin alone."

Does this mean I do not need 3 plugins for what I am trying to achieve?

I will definitely need further help from you with this. If there is anything I should be doing or should have done before starting on the homepage please let me know.

Thank you

July 30, 2019 at 2:35 pm #4308555

Riki Douglas

Hi there,
Any pointers to the questions above?

July 30, 2019 at 2:50 pm #4308717

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates and sorry for the bit of waiting here. Regarding your questions:

1 - "Can you please explain to me why its only showing 3 rows? Also after I complete these 3 translations and go back to Pages list, it doesn't show the pencil icon to mark as complete."

I confirmed this issue in your website and in most cases it is caused due server not enough resources issue, you have a homepage built with a lot of shortcodes, while you have only 40MB as the maximum amount of memory for your website. Please, try the following:

1.1 - Ask your host provide to increase your server resources for WordPress and PHP, in case you don't have access to your server settings on don't know how to proceed. The optimal values should be:

Memory Limit: 512MB
Max Execution Time: 60
Max Input Vars: 3000

1.2 - If you have access to your server settings or do know how to proceed increasing this values, then you can try:

1.2.1 - Open the wp-config.php file of your WordPress installation and add these lines of code:

Memory Limit:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' )

Max Execution Time

@ini_set( 'max_execution_time' , '60' );

Max Input Vars

@ini_set( 'max_input_vars' , 3000 );

2 - "Could you please tell me step by step how to translate the homepage for starters"

2.1 - As soon as the server resources values defined above are set we should expect the pencil icon to appears indicating the translation is being saved properly. For the translation task we should some approaches, I will try to make a brief tutorial for you, let's proceed this way:

2.1.1 - Add a new page for your website in your default language, english in your case (you can proceed with any existing page if you prefer). See attached screenshot (customer_tutorial_01).

2.1.2 - Add some content using your page builder, the WPBakery Page Builder in your case and publish it. See attached screenshot (customer_tutorial_02).

2.1.3 - Click to add a translation for your page and enter your translated content, check the translation as complete and click to save it. See attached screenshot (customer_tutorial_03 and customer_tutorial_04).

At this stage maybe you don't see all the page builder blocks content of your default language page and it happens when your theme uses some custom theme specific page builder shortcodes (modules) in these cases you have two options:

2.1.3.1 - Register the missing shortcodes (modules) for translations. See: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/page-builders/how-to-register-page-builder-modules-and-theme-options/

2.1.3.2 - Manually edit the translated page using the WordPress page/post editor and adjust the missing shortcodes content in order to translate them. See: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-different-translation-editors-for-different-pages/

2.2 - If you don't want to register missing modules for translations or prefer to edit your translated content using the page builder instead of a translation editor you can try the following:

2.2.1 - In your page editing screen of your default language (english in your case) click to add a duplication of your original page for your secondary languages (japanese in your case). See attached screenshot (customer_tutorial_05).

2.2.2 - Click to edit it using the default WordPress page/post editor. See attached screenshot (customer_tutorial_06).

2.2.3 - Adjust the page content of your secondary languages to meet your translations needs using your WPBakery Page Builder as you did with the page content of your website primary language (english in your case). See attached screenshot (customer_tutorial_07).

See: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-different-translation-editors-for-different-pages/

3 - "Does this mean I do not need 3 plugins for what I am trying to achieve?"

It all depends on your translation needs for example: Some people uses a third party translation service to translate their website content and in this case you should have WPML Translation Management in order to achieve that. Here is a brief description of your needs and what addons you should have in order to complete these tasks:

WPML Multilingual CMS Only: Manually translate pages and posts using the default WordPress page/post editor.

WPML Multilingual CMS + WPML Translation Editor: Translate your page/post content using a dedicated translation editor, allows you to use either the Classic Translation Editor or the Advanced Translation Editor.

See: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/translation-tools-available-with-wpml/ in order to understand the difference between them.

WPML Multilingual CMS + WPML String Translation: Translate your themes/plugins text content found in plugin files, also allows you to translate theme and plugins options you set in your WordPress Dashboard.

See: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/

WPML Multilingual CMS + WPML Media Tranalstion: Translate your media content and allows you to show specific media items according languages, for example you can show a picture with english content for english languages and japanese content for japanese language:

See: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/media-translation/

Hope it helps to bring some clarifications to your questions, please, let me know if you need any further assistance. Have a nice day.

July 31, 2019 at 7:59 am #4312525

Riki Douglas

Hi Marcos,

I have increased the server settings and have proceeded with your instructions till 2.1.3 using the current English homepage. There are only 2 blocks available for translating this time.... pls see screenshot.

I do not want to register missing shortcodes so I will duplicate the homepage and paste in the Japanese I already have ready. So, in conclusion, do I really need WPML at this point? It seems like I cannot get the basic service the plugin has to offer which is being able to translate paragraphs side by side. Would it not be easier if I just used the DuplicatePost plugin, and translate it into Japanese? Im very curious to know. If you could let me know your thoughts on this before I start, I would be most grateful. Thank you.

July 31, 2019 at 7:56 pm #4317499

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. Regarding your questions:

1 - "So, in conclusion, do I really need WPML at this point"

Yes, WPML will let you to group your website content into different language which is something different of a regular page/post duplication. In the case of WPML the duplication will group the content separeted by language and will provide you with a dynamic language switcher to make it possible to browse your website content on its different languages.

2 - "It seems like I cannot get the basic service the plugin has to offer which is being able to translate paragraphs side by side"

As said before, while WPML is able to read most shortcodes content of the different page builders in the market, some theme/plugin authors create their own shortcodes not always multilingual compatible or ready for WPML for example, in such cases in order to leverage the WPML features to translate these custom page builders shorcodes/modules you will need to 'tell' WPML these shortcodes exists and you want to translate them and here is where the shortcodes/modules registration with custom XML code comes in.

3 - "Would it not be easier if I just used the DuplicatePost plugin, and translate it into Japanese"

As said, it won't work as you expect as this plugin won't group the contents separated by languages, instead it will just duplicate your website content and will keep them grouped in the same website language.

Please, let me know if you need any additional clarifications. Have a nice day.

August 1, 2019 at 1:17 pm #4322191

Riki Douglas

Hi Marcos,

Thank you for answering my concerns. I do feel slightly better after reading them. Good news is I have more or less completed translating the 3 pages required, (Home, 360VR & Contact). For future reference, will this tactic of duplicating pages and translating the content straight into the page builder work every time? (i.e. for all themes, regardless of customized shortcodes?) If so, I will go with this method every time because it will save me a lot of hassle (and time!). Now that I have translated the pages, could you kindly direct me to the next step and up till completion? (e.g. creating the Japanse menus and other tasks required in sequence) I don' want to do things in the wrong order if it might mess up things I've done so far.

Thank you Marcos
Much appreciated

August 1, 2019 at 7:10 pm #4324893

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates, I am glad you are making some progress in your translation efforts. Regarding your questions:

1 - "Will this tactic of duplicating pages and translating the content straight into the page builder work every time?"

It all depends on the theme or page builder you are using, your translation preferences and work style. For example, if you have a fully integrated theme/page builder such as Divi builder for example, you could figure out that using the WPML Translation Editor would be a better choice as you would be able to use a dedicated translation editor to edit your website text content only instead of manually editing page builder content. Again, it is a personal choice and preference, for those themes not integrated with WPML the duplication process will save you a bit of time.

2 - "Now that I have translated the pages, could you kindly direct me to the next step and up till completion? (e.g. creating the Japanse menus and other tasks required in sequence)"

After translating your regular post and page contents I usually recommend to step to menu, widgets and general theme text translations (the text that appear on theme files) and here are the resources you should check for this task:

Widgets Translation - https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-widgets/

Menus Translation - https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/

General Theme Text Translation - https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/

Hope it brings a bit of clarifications and help you to understand the whole translation worflow when using WPML. Have a nice day.