This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
September 3, 2019 at 4:00 pm

atakanI

Hello,

I have been facing server waiting problem issue while loading the first requests. I was trying to find the problem of big waiting time.

I was checking my page speed via gtmetrix and google page speed, Pingdom etc. It is written that TTFB is really slow. So I was checking the waterfall. I put some screenshots for you. The first request was so slow and It is related to server waiting time.

I started deactivating plugins and when I deactivate WPML, It was fixed. Can you check what is wrong with WPML? Maybe there is something wrong with my configurations.

I share all the information with you.

Thank you very much in advance.

September 3, 2019 at 7:53 pm #4507173

atakanI

I would like to add a point, It might be related to the compatibility with Litespeed cache or my misconfigurations. Because the first byte, headers, cannot be cached from Litespeed cache. (Litespeed supporters told me) When I deactivate WPML, It can be cached I guess.

I am not a pro. I have no clue about these topics but I just want to help you to solve my problem.

And also I think there is a problem with "Product Suggestion Plugin" that you have updated. The updated version is not compatible with WPML or theme I guess. The solution is upgrading to the earlier versions. No worries, I will do it later. But maybe you can just have a look at also this problem.

I am suffering. Help me, please.

Thank you.

September 3, 2019 at 8:53 pm #4507251

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the WPML Support Forum.

Did you recogniye anz functional issues in regards to the translation? I am asking as the issue could also be caused due to a compatiblity issue, but in order to test this, we will need to have a present issue with a given task.

I have taken a look at the debug.log file inside of the wp-content folder on your server and I can see that there used to be a database error related to WPML some days ago. Has this issue been solved already?

Further, there are various issues in regards to the plugins Really Simple SSL, and one of the plugin used to enahnce the functions of WooCommerce.

Could you test if the page generation time enhances significantlz if you use the site with WooCommerce and WPML and its add-ons only? Let me know if this results in a significant difference.

Further, please apply the settings mentioned in the following documentation, in order to enhance the performance of WPML.

https://wpml.org/faq/prevent-performance-issues-with-wpml/

Let me know if the performance enhanced after applying the settings. Also make sure that all plugins and the theme is up-to-date.

Also take note that our developers are currently working on major performance enhancements with the updates for Multilingual CMS 4.3.0 and we will be able to reduce page generation times to a minimum soon. Those issues are often related to our plugin String Translation, which currently receives a complete makeover in terms of its functionality.

https://wpml.org/2019/06/wpml-4-2-7-and-a-preview-for-next-major-updates/

Kind regards
Andreas

September 3, 2019 at 10:37 pm #4507425

atakanI

Hallo Andreas,

-I did not recognize any functional issues in regards to the translation. Maybe I am not a careful user.

-I did not recognize the WPML error issue that you have seen on debug file. So I think It is not solved yet. It can lead to server delay. Maybe If you investigate, I would appreciate for it.

-As you mentioned I have faced some little problems with "product suggestion plugin"(I upgrade the earlier version 1.0.12 and fix it now), "WayForPay Payment Gateway" I couldn't solve it because I did not understand the error(If you have an Idea or If it is easy solutions and you are willing to help with this issue, you are welcomed), Really Simple SSL problem is also not clear for me.
Maybe I would ask for a favor from you to check these issues above. If they are easy to solve it, I am ready to listen. (Don't hesitate to try to do some changes.)

-I have run the website with just only woocommers, wpml and supporter plugins of wpml and the result is 877.6ms waiting time.

When I deactivate all the plugins server waiting time is 478,7ms
When I activate all the plugins except WPML, the waiting time is 1,83s
When I activate all the plugins except WPML, and woocommerce the waiting time is 386ms,
Just WPML and WPML plugins are deactive, 382,2ms
WPML, WPML plugins and woocommerce ML deactive 378ms
Plugins I need active, just WPML and supported deactivated, 382,8ms
Plugins I need active, just WPML, WPML supported and Woocommerce MultiLing deactivated 378,5ms

For faster variations , I have got the result from gtmetrix "x-litespeed-cache hit"
For medium speed variations I have got this result from gtmetrix "x-litespeed-cache miss"
For slower variations I have got the result from gtmetrix "x-litespeed-cache no-cache"

- I have had a look but I have already done them.

- I am looking forward to have some updates.

As a result of my investigation, there might be a compatibility issue of WPML with litespeed cache plugin, header caching.

What do you suggest to do?

Thank you for your attention.

September 4, 2019 at 10:21 am #4510021

atakanI

When I deactivate all the plugins server waiting time is 478,7ms
When I activate all the plugins except WPML, and woocommerce the waiting time is 386ms,
Just WPML and WPML plugins are deactive, 382,2ms
WPML, WPML plugins and woocommerce ML deactive 378ms
Plugins I need actived, just WPML and supported deactivated, 382,8ms
Plugins I need actived, just WPML, WPML supported and Woocommerce MultiLing deactivated 378,5ms

I made some mistake above. Sorry. It seems It is because of WPML-Litespeed thing I think.

September 4, 2019 at 6:07 pm
September 4, 2019 at 6:09 pm #4513411

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

For further investigation I have just send you a private message with instructions in order to migrate your site to our test server.

Please leave me a short notification once the websit eis migrated.

Kind regards
Andreas

September 5, 2019 at 6:14 am #4515625

atakanI

Hello,

It is migrated now. Can you check, please?

September 6, 2019 at 5:21 am #4523353

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Could you please have a look at the migrated website? You can use your usual login.

When using Gmetrix I can see that the rating of the site is not excellent,when it come to image rendering, but I could not point any major performance issues while using the site. A page generation time of 2 seconds is acceptable when using WordPress with WPML.

Anyhow, as mentioned earlier, we are working on major performance enhancements that will minimize this delays to a almost zero and the final updates are coming soon.

On my test with the migrated website I even had a worst rating and a little more than 2 seconds (4.5s) slower in fully loaded time with Gmetrix, when running the site without WPML and add-ons.

Further, there were not any errors related to WPML found, when debugging the site.

Sometimes such ratings and delays, might be caused due to cheap or shared hosting, but for now I can tell that the page generation times of around 2 seconds were until now quiet common when using WordPress with WPML and to be expected.

Please provide me some more some more information. Which section of the site causes serious issues? Do you realiye a significant differecne between your live site and the migrated site?

Are there any current anz functional issues when using WordPress and WPML?

Kind regards
Andreas

September 6, 2019 at 8:55 pm #4527403

atakanI

Hey Andreas,

To be honest I don't have more functional issues except for filtering and price issues. I opened 2 different tickets and one of them is looking by your compatibility team. It might be a compatibility issue.

Moreover, I have a speed issue with my website. I made everything to make it fast. As I discover that is because of WPML and cache compatibility. I am not professional on this field but I am trying to solve the issue.

If there is a problem or compatibility issue, or even hosting, I am ready to make it fast.

About WPML,

When I change the language on a random page, It takes a too long time to change the language.

So If you found some solutions about speed problem or "x-litespeed-cache no-cache" I am looking forward to seeing.

If WPML has some compatibility issue with LiteSpeed Cache about caching the header, maybe you can try to look deeper.

September 9, 2019 at 2:30 pm #4537997

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

As mentioned in my last message, your website did not provide any information about given errors.

Further, a page generation time of around 2 seconds can defenitely appear when using WPML and WordPress with a higher amount of plugins. Anyhow, when testing your website without WPML and its add-ons the page generation was even more than 4 seconds and therefore even bigger.

I can see that ther eis a compatilbity isssue open and I would like you to wait for a solution and to see how the site performance will enhance after receiving a fix. Further, as mentioned we are about to release a new version of WPML which will reduce the latency on page generation time to a minimum.

I would kindly like to invite you to test our Beta Versions, which are already available for download. Go to Plugins -> Add new -> Commercial and switch form Production to Beta Channel to update the plugins.

Let me know if this could enhance the performance of your site.

Kind regards
Andreas

September 10, 2019 at 6:21 pm #4548047

atakanI

Firstly I updated to the new versions. It didn't help. And lastly, I updated to the beta versions. It also did not help. You can check it out. I hope you can find some solutions.

And today something interesting happened. Before I did the updates, I check the Russian front page's score via GT matrix. I have got the "x-litespeed-cache - hit" result which was my aim. And the server waiting time was "around 300ms"

When I check "turkish" and "english" pages. x-litespeed-caches - no-cache

What do you think? Is it because of currency changes or what? The only thing comes my mind is currency exchange problem.

September 11, 2019 at 3:11 pm #4554661

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I have now compared your shop page's page loading time with the website that we migrated to our server using GTMetrix and I received similar results:

It took around 9 seconds to fully create the Turkish shop page on both installs with all plugins activated.

I then deactivated WPML and its add-ons and tested the English shop page with Gtmetrix:

I still had a page loading time of around 8 seconds.

This might proof that the issues are not related to WPML. The report further clarifies that the delay is based on the time that the server needs to render the images.

Even using only WooCommerce and its add-ons and WPBakery the page loading time was still 7.9 seconds.

I would advise you to consult the WooCommerce and/or WPBakery support in regards to the issue or contact your hosting provider for further investigations.

Kind regards
Andreas