This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Laura 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
September 4, 2019 at 10:40 am

birgitZ

I am trying to: Translate a custom post type (made with Toolset Types) into English

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: Translated post in the frontend and editable custom fields in the backend

Instead, I got erratic behavior (in the backend if not stated):

- Custom fields don't behave as expected (not as explained here: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/duplicate-to-second-language-doesnt-duplicate-custom-fields-build-with-acf/) In the settings, I tried "Copy/Copy once/Translate" for the custom fields, but it seems that once set, the setting isn't changeable any more for an existing post, even when you delete the translation and start anew.
- I tried with and without the WPML translation editor. Switching it on and off can only be done from the original language post, not from the post to be translated. Why?
- Sometimes the post to translate opens in WPML editor even though I had it deactivated. I then have to activate the editor and deactivate it again for it to be deactivated.
- Whenever I open a translation in classical editor, all fields are empty (even if they were populated before). When I hit copy contents, only the basic fields get populated, not the custom fields.
- In WPML editor, there is no way to edit the slug or to delete the post. I can only move a translation to the trash from the classical editor and only after populating all fields. Is that as it should be?
- Even when I delete a translated post permanently, it is still there (both in list view and in single post view), showing the "translation in progress" icon. In one exception so far I managed to actually delete permanently, but I can't seem to replicate it.
- Also, original post is shown in the frontend instead of translated post

I'm sorry this is a mess, but I don't even know where to start analyzing. It seems that there's something major going on with my installation. Any ideas on how I should proceed?

September 4, 2019 at 11:08 am
September 4, 2019 at 1:38 pm #4511449

birgitZ

It seems to be resolved for the most part, but I still don't seem to be able to permanently delete posts.

Is there any shortcut for marking a post as "translation completed" without checking all the boxes separately?

September 4, 2019 at 2:40 pm #4512139

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

what is your process to delete posts?

Please be sure to open the trash in the language of the post you need to delete. If you are still encountering issues, we'll check this further.

At the moment there isn't a way to check all the fields at the same time (we have a featured request for that) but you might try using a Chrome extention like this one: hidden link

September 11, 2019 at 8:22 am #4551665

birgitZ

Yes, I move them to trash and then permanently delete them from there (in the language I need to delete).

September 12, 2019 at 7:46 am #4558993

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Ok,

I'm not sure this is WPML related - deletion of posts is managed by WordPress so we need to check this first.

If you deactivate WPML (you won't lose your translations) are you able to delete posts?

If not, then it's a WordPress problem.
If so, it could be a compatibility issue with a 3rd party plugin.

In that case, I'd ask you to try a compatibility test:
- backup your site
- disable all plugin except WPML and its addons
- switch to a default theme like TwentySeventeen
- check if the issue is happening again
- if it's not, reactivate your plugins one by one, checking every time if the issue shows up again
- lastly, reactivate your theme

The topic ‘[Closed] Types Custom fields not showing’ is closed to new replies.