This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.38 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 18 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by rossM-10 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
October 18, 2018 at 3:53 pm #2828629

rossM-10

Tell us what you are trying to do? I am trying to translate a page that is defined using Advanced Custom Fields

Is there any documentation that you are following? Yes, I am trying to follow: https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/

Is there a similar example that we can see? No

What is the link to your site? hidden link

October 19, 2018 at 12:36 pm #2831987

rossM-10

I have used this plugin before on large but basic site, and it was straight forward. But I have been unable to successfully start this site that makes extensive use of the Advanced Custom Fields plugin. It is urgent that get help - either a tutorial that haven't been able to find, or some specific guidance beyond what you have on the site, that hasn't helped me.

October 19, 2018 at 8:29 pm #2833032

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

Can you please tell me specifically what the issue is? Are the fields missing from the backend of the page? Or not showing on the front end of the page?

What kind of fields are you creating? Sometimes, the field groups need to be set to "Translate" and then translated to the secondary language. The easiest way to do this is to set them as translatable in WPML -> Settings and then duplicate the field group. You will then be able to click "Translate Independently" and add the translations.

Perhaps some screenshots of your WPML settings for ACF fields would help me better understand what is going on?

Lastly, please try increasing the WP Memory Limit. Minimum requirements are 128Mb: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

You can add this to wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/** Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

Add it above the line /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

October 24, 2018 at 2:45 am #2844699

rossM-10

Thank you. I have spent the last few days having the development site restored. I am now trying to implement the translation again, and remain confused about what the difference is between;
"Don't translate"; "Copy" ; "Copy Once", and when to use each. Also, I assume that it is equally valid to use the "Multilingual Content Setup" area of the page to be translated as it is to use the "Custom Fields Translation" area of the WPML Settings page.

Please confirm

October 24, 2018 at 12:43 pm #2846237

Lauren
Supporter

Happy to explain the differences.

Don't Translate means it will not be able to be translated at all in your secondary language(s).

Copy means the value of the field will be the same for all languages, and it will be copied from the original post data.

Copy Once means that when you first duplicate the post, the field value will be copied one time to the translation. You will then be able to update or translate the field for your secondary language(s).
As for changing the settings in Multilingual Content Setup of a page, it does the same thing as the settings in WPML -> Settings. What you have set in WPML -> Settings will be the default for all pages.

I hope that helps explain these terms. Please let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

October 24, 2018 at 4:36 pm #2847306

rossM-10

Okay, thanks. I misunderstood what "Don't Translate" meant. I had assumed that it would include the untranslated content / structure, but it doesn't. So now I have got most translated.

I have one other issue. In this website I have used WordPress Options to specify footer content. According to https://wpml.org/faq/translating-entries-in-wp_options/, I need to create a language configurations file. I've not had to do this before, and I am concerned that since I have already translated a good deal of the site, that adding a 'language configurations file' at this point might bugger things up. Is there an alternative to this, and if not, are there any precautions that I should take before proceeding?

October 24, 2018 at 5:25 pm #2847376

Lauren
Supporter

By WordPress options do you mean strings that are in your theme options? If so, theme options are usually stored in the admin texts. Please go to WPML > String Translation and scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the link "Translate texts in admin screens »". Then, scroll through that page and see if you find the the string. If so, tick the checkbox and click Apply to add it to the String Translation table. Now you can go back to WPML > String Translation and you should see the string added there.

If you need further assistance, let's open a new ticket for the options issue so that we can keep this ticket isolated to one issue. Thanks for understanding.

October 24, 2018 at 8:00 pm #2847772

rossM-10

Please see attached screen grab of the options I am referring to.

Thanks

October 24, 2018 at 8:13 pm #2847808

Lauren
Supporter

It does not look like these are related to ACF tickets. It looks like these are theme options If this is the case and you can't find the strings in the admin texts, please open a new support ticket so we can continue with this issue there. Thanks!

October 25, 2018 at 2:36 am #2848487

rossM-10

'Options' within this context is specified as a ACF field. Please see attached screen shots. I specified the field to be 'Translatable at the bottom of "Options FooterMap Select ACF" per BottomOfMapFooterACF. It doesn't appear to have done anything. When I go to the Options menu item, per the screen shot in my earlier email message to you, it doesn't present any options to translate.

October 25, 2018 at 1:35 pm #2849954

Lauren
Supporter

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this: hidden link

October 25, 2018 at 3:41 pm #2850361

Lauren
Supporter

Thanks for sending me access to the site. I went to Custom Fields -> Options and duplicated the page to Polish. Now, when you click "Options" in the dashboard menu and use the admin language switcher to switch to Polish, you can see the Footer Map. Please add the translation there and let me know if this resolves the issue for you.

October 25, 2018 at 5:21 pm #2850595

rossM-10

No. I can't see it. Please see attached. Also, now I am no longer able to see the translated content of the Polish page in the back end, although when I view it, the page appears as it did before. I purged the cache believing that I might be viewing a cached version, but it didn't change things.

October 25, 2018 at 8:30 pm #2851058

rossM-10

I'm hoping we can resolve soon. Please let me know if you need any more information.

October 25, 2018 at 9:06 pm #2851159

Lauren
Supporter

You need to copy the content from the English Footer Map field and paste it in the Polish Footer Map field. As for the images, it looks like you need to duplicate your English images so that you can upload them in the Polish options. You can do this by going to WPML -> Settings -> Media Translation and click start to sync the images. Once that is done, please let me know if everything looks okay on the front end.