This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 5 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
April 20, 2019 at 7:19 am #3649639

yee-sunT

I need to translate my english copy to simplified chinese. The default simplified chinese is /zh-hans. it is too long for my url. hence, I want to change to /zh-cn.

So based on your forums, we can only create a new language. And because of your poorly done tutorials (there aren't any), I wasted my credits as I couldn't duplicate from my translated zh-hans to zh-cn. Not to mention the problem with ur chinese flags not showing up.

So now I want to re translate with the newly added language zh-cn. but your advance translator says "spellchecker is not supported in this target language". FFS zh-hans and zh-cn are the same thing. mainland china uses simplified chinese and zh-cn is an official locale code for china. So what is wrong. Please advise.

April 22, 2019 at 8:28 am #3654547

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey,

Thank you for reaching out the WPML support!

Let's take care of one question at a time. First of all, I understand that you managed to create a new language and use the code you want for it (zh-cn). That message about the spellchecker appears because you're using a custom language and there's no option to say "use the spellchecker from Chinese for this custom language". This tool can only be used for the languages you can select from WPML.

You said that you have some problems with the flag too. I looked on your website and I could find the language switcher on the top right corner but only the English option appears and there's no flag either. Are you working on the translations and so the translation is not ready to be set to live? I'm just asking because I would like to have a look at this flag issue and take care of it.

Thanks,
Radu

May 1, 2019 at 5:07 am #3716005

yee-sunT

Lets solve the spellchecker problem first. Wad do you suggest if I need to setup /zh-cn instead of /zh-hans. there is no proper documentation for duplicating one language to another. can you provide more information on that?

Thanks

May 6, 2019 at 11:10 am #3747363

Radu
Supporter

Hey,

The spell checker is made to work only for the default languages, not for the custom ones. If you want, you can try to use a 3rd party tool like Grammarly when adding the content to your website.

In order to create a new language, all you have to do is go to Dashboard → WPML → Language → Site Languages and press the Edit Languages button. Here, all you have to do is press the Add Language from the bottom right corner and add the values for the new language. You can create a language like the one from the screenshot I attached. Can you try this out and tell me how it works, please?

Thanks,
Radu

May 7, 2019 at 3:01 pm #3759487

yee-sunT

Hi,

I know how to create a new language. That is what i did for /cn. But i need the spell checker to work in order to use the advanced translator? I paid credits for the advanced translator. but right now, the option to translate is greyed out.

Is there any way i can translate the same content that works on /zh-hans/ advance translator. I saw forums of people mentioning of duplicating from the default /zh-hans/ to custom /cn/ created language. But there are no tutorial on how to do that. Just part and pieces everywhere.

Any advice?

Thanks

May 8, 2019 at 8:56 am #3764801

Radu
Supporter

Hey,

There is a simple way to bulk duplicate content from a language to another. All you have to do is go to Dashboard → WPML → Translation Management, select what would you like to duplicate, and use the Duplicate content from the bottom side. You can find some more details about this right here https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/using-content-duplication/#batch-duplicating. Can you check this out and tell me if it's the option you were looking for, please?

Thanks,
Radu

The topic ‘[Closed] Unable to translate zh-cn but zh-hans is ok. they are the same thing…’ is closed to new replies.