We have just released WPML 4.3.3. Before reporting issues please make sure to update - this version resolves all known issues with the major WPML 4.3 release

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 21 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by ciaranF-3 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcel.

Author Posts
June 24, 2019 at 7:13 am

ciaranF-3

Hello,

I am trying to update custom post type fields but each time we are getting "Item not updated." error.

here scenario is, if you will update fields with slug then it works well but if you will update fields only then system doesn't updating any of the value.

I have shared our staging access with you please review and let us know.

We have web-authentication, so those values are before "||" is web authentication username and password.

Please let us know as soon as possible.

Thank you.

June 24, 2019 at 2:47 pm #4078129

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+01:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

I was able to login into the website and I can see the error. However, unfortunately when I temporarily deactivated WPML plugin, it threw the website into the "Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function get_current_language() on null in..." state - could you get this resolved by pulling the backup or commenting that line out?

However, this also may give us a clue on what is going behind the scenes - it could be some sort of compatibility issue based on how these custom post types are being registered. I believe that you also found this resource:
https://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/95904/item-not-updated-when-try-to-change-category-properties/
hidden link

And also this, which explains what's going on:
https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/16243

As for similar WPML cases registered before, let me provide you with links to only cases I was able to find:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/why-i-upload-category-header-image-will-show-item-not-updated/
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/changes-made-in-translated-taxonomy-doesnt-apply/
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/incorrect-tag_ids/#post-1559532

All these clients seem to have reported that there was a conflict with slugs, so there must be something in these lines in your case as well. Can you perhaps try with another theme or double check how that custom post is registered on your site?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

June 25, 2019 at 7:24 am #4081773

ciaranF-3

Hello Bruno,
Thank you for looking in to this.

Let me introduce my self that will help you to communicate logic or technically, I am php developer and have 10 years of core code development experience.

The error you have described above is appeared due to, you have deactivated WPML plugin, hence website didn't get $sitepress->get_current_language() variable.

However, when i have active WPML plugin again and get below error.

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function get_setting() on string in /home/bartrademowork/public_html/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/url-handling/wpml-url-filters.class.php:230 Stack trace: #0 /home/bartrademowork/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(286): WPML_URL_Filters->home_url_filter('hidden link...', 'wp-json', 'rest', NULL) #1 /home/bartrademowork/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php(208): WP_Hook->apply_filters('hidden link...', Array) #2 /home/bartrademowork/public_html/wp-includes/link-template.php(3126): apply_filters('home_url', 'hidden link...', 'wp-json', 'rest', NULL) #3 /home/bartrademowork/public_html/wp-includes/rest-api.php(361): get_home_url(NULL, 'wp-json', 'http') #4 /home/bartrademowork/public_html/wp-includes/script-loader.php(948): get_rest_url() #5 /home/bartrademowork/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(286): wp_default_scripts(Object(WP_Scripts)) #6 /home/bartrademowork/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(310): WP_Hook->apply_filte in /home/bartrademowork/public_html/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/url-handling/wpml-url-filters.class.php on line 230

Apart from this, the issue describe in first post is still exists and have already taken-care about duplicate slug so that is not the case here.

Please let me know if you need another access.

Thank you.

June 25, 2019 at 2:10 pm #4085359

Marcel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hi,

Since Bruno currently having a day off, I will replace him here today.
I hope this is OK for you, otherwise please let me know and I will re-assign the ticket tomorrow morning to Bruno again.

Could you please provide me with new access to your site, to reproduce the error myself?

Many Thanks
Best Marcel

June 26, 2019 at 12:35 pm
June 27, 2019 at 6:59 am #4097007

ciaranF-3

Hello Marcel,

Any update here?

Thank you

June 27, 2019 at 4:05 pm #4101477

Marcel
Supporter

Hi,

please excuse the delay in my answer. I tried to connect, but I would also need a new WP Backend login. Could you please provide me with one?

Thanks

Best
Marcel

July 1, 2019 at 4:38 am
July 2, 2019 at 7:04 am #4124439

ciaranF-3

Hello Marcel,

Please let us know if you need any assist here from the development team.

Thank you

July 2, 2019 at 5:35 pm #4129163

Marcel
Supporter

HI,

Thank You. I'm on your site and was able to reproduce the issue. I will update you when I have a solution to your problem.

Best Marcel

July 3, 2019 at 5:05 pm #4138299

Marcel
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for your patience. Indeed, there was a problem with the slugs.

- I saved "bartra-healthcare-zh-hans" -> Error as described
- I renamed the category to bartra-healthcare-zh-hans2 -> saved
- renamed back to bartra-healthcare-zh-hans and now it's correctly updated.

Could you please control this change?

Thank you

Best Marcel

July 4, 2019 at 5:15 am #4140363

ciaranF-3

Hello Marcel,
Thank you for coming back to us.

The solution you have mentioned that was we have already applied before we had generated ticket.

- If you will check in reverse order then you will get actual issue.
- For example, you have already updated slug, correct? so no need to update particular category slug any more.
- Now if you will update any field except slug then it will throw error as describe In initial request.

Could you please check re-check, again ?

Thank you.

July 4, 2019 at 9:26 am #4141885

Marcel
Supporter

Hi

Thank you for the feedback. Could you please provide me a site copy with a duplicator package? I will consult our 2nd Tier with your case.

Doc: https://wpml.org/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

Thank You
Best Marcel

July 4, 2019 at 10:35 am #4142403

ciaranF-3

Hello Marcel,

You can use same setup, no need to create duplicate.

Thank you.

July 5, 2019 at 8:41 am #4149249

ciaranF-3

Hello Marcel,

Would apprecite, if you could share status today as after 2 hours we will be off for weekend and before that need to update client.

Thank you.