Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: i can't finish my translations because when i save the translation editor, it always leave some elements without translation.

Solution: The problem is with the MAXINPUTVARS value that is lower than the actual inputs in the page.

This is easy to test. try to translate one of the pages that gives you this problem and then open the JS console (f12 or right click > Inspect) and add this code: [/php]

jQuery(document).ready(function(){ jQuery('input').length; }); [/php]

Then ask your hosting to raise the value of your MAXVARINPUT variable to something higher than the number you got with the code.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by maikii 5 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
November 3, 2020 at 9:07 pm #7370759

maikii

The translation editor is not operating as expected for translators. There are various interactive elements on the screen that prohibit the translation from being marked as done. The copy-over button doesn't work on some of the fields, as well (I have a screenshot, not much to show of course).

When I check the web console there are several instances of errors beginning:

Uncaught ReferenceError: tinymce is not defined
    waitForEditorAndThenInstallHooks <em><u>hidden link</u></em>
    delay Underscore
wpml-tm-editor-job-wysiwyg-field-view.js:73:17
    waitForEditorAndThenInstallHooks <em><u>hidden link</u></em>
    waitForEditorAndThenInstallHooks self-hosted:1214
    delay Underscore

As our production site is critical and complex I downloaded the plugins used (core, management, and strings) and the GF integration this morning and installed them on a similar staging site. I then turned off all plugins except for the three, and the problem persists.

Please advise.

Screenshot_2020-11-03 Translations ‹ next survey — WordPress.png
November 5, 2020 at 9:27 am #7384015

George Botsev
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Sofia (GMT+03:00)

Hello!
Please check if you have enabled the setting in your user profile : "Disable the visual editor when writing"
This would probably cause the problem.

November 5, 2020 at 9:36 pm #7389621

maikii

Yes, my account had the visual editor disabled; enabling it removed the errors and the copy-over function works again.

Our site disables the visual editor with a function to turn it off for all users. Is the translation editor is incompatible with the visual editor being disabled?

November 7, 2020 at 12:32 pm #7398917

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

You could try to use the Advanced Translation Editor instead which you can set in WPML > settings > How to translate posts and pages.

In there you can also decide what to do with pages that were already translated with the Classic Translation Editor which will likely not be able to work (because while you are turning off that option, the same is still configured in the fields so our system will pick that up and fail because of your code's block).

The Advanced Translation Editor might not have such issues, instead so you can continue with that one, which is probably a better option as well since it has pretty cool features like Automatic Translation and Translation Memory and now also a nice feature that will help you migrate the content from the classic translation to the Advanced one in an easier way:

- https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/advanced-translation-editor/

- https://wpml.org/it/announcements/2020/11/deepl-integration-and-new-pricing-for-automatic-translation/ ("other new features" section).

Try it out and let me know how it goes.

November 7, 2020 at 1:21 pm #7399255

maikii

The site in question is for a government agency, and the Advanced Translation Editor does not comply with the privacy policies for the agency (loading external resources, third-party tracking scripts, etc.). We don't use the Gutenberg block editor, either, the content is edited using the "Classic" interface.

My ultimate issue I'm trying to solve is a very long GravityForm is stuck at 89% in three languages, and my translators say they are unable to save the last 11%. When I used the editor I got the TinyMCE errors, but removing the function restores the "copy-field" button and selecting checkboxes on list pages, but my translators are still not able to save the last 11%.

The form is very long, hundreds of strings, and I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this further. I'm going to have them resign their translations and will take them over to check for errors in the web console.

Please advise, as switching editors is not a solution for this issue.

November 7, 2020 at 2:08 pm #7399597

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Oh but then this might not have to do with it. i have a feeling the problem is with the MAXINPUTVARS value that is lower than the actual inputs in the page.

This is easy to test. try to translate one of those forms using the Classic Translation Editor and then open the JS console and check its inputs length:

jQuery(document).ready(function(){
   jQuery('input').length;
});

You currently have 1000 Inputs as your MAXINPUTVARS value, so i suspect when you run the code i mentioned above, you'll end up getting more than 1000, and that remaining is what's going to not be saved.

Increase it in your server and then you might have the problem solved.

I hope that fixes it, but please let me know how it goes either way.

November 9, 2020 at 3:47 am #7404813

maikii

Increasing `max_input_vars` fixed the saving error.