This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
June 26, 2019 at 12:47 pm #4092543

daniellaN

hi,
I try to minimize the number of plugins i have on my site.
I noticed I have 4 different plugins to wpml- do I need them all? i don't even know if i use all of them...
plus- i want to understand- when i translate a post it automatically duplicate the media files- why? what will happen if i'll choose not to? why is that the default?
Thank you, Daniella

June 26, 2019 at 1:29 pm #4092819

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi Daniella,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

I think that the easiest way for you to know which plug-ins should you use on your site is to do the following:
- Activate WPML Multilingual CMS plugin only
- try translating pages/posts, and also check WPML -> Settings

If you try the above, it will give you an idea on what is behind this and what WPML plugin addon is responsible for specific functionality. For example, if you don't activate WPML Translation Management plugin, you will not be able to use any of these features:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/

Or to put it mildly, you will be able to translate contents only using manual translation, without having all the benefits from our translation editors.

When it comes to string translation, Anything that doesn’t fall inside posts, pages or taxonomy goes into String Translation. This includes the site’s tagline, general texts in Admin screens, widget titles and many other texts.
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/

So basically this is project dependent and the number of plugins required for your site will also depend on what do you want to translate and how do you want to translate it.

Regards,
Bruno Kos