This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
October 12, 2018 at 5:21 am #2810826

fatihC-2

Hello All

May be my question is to basic for some, but I still need tips to understand how the string translation is working

From the information I have gathered from the support forum and guides, in order SEO plugins(in my case is Yoast) to inform correctly Google with translations of seo fields, I need to translate strings that yoast uses.

Please see the SS;

So name of the string is

[wpseo_titles]title-post

English string is

%%title%% %%page%% %%sep%% %%sitename%%

What should I write there to complete the translation needed. Translate like -title- which is başlık in main language, -page- is like sayfa.? should I keep the % marks?

I'm really confused, and thank you for the help

October 12, 2018 at 9:27 pm #2813106

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.
I will do my best to help you with this.

In this case you only need to translate the texts and leave the % symbols to keep the structure. As a result you should have something like:
- %%başlık%% %%sayfa%% %%(here goes sep in Turkish)%% %%(here goes the sitename in Turkish)%%

Please let me know if you need further assistance and I will be more than happy to help you.
Kind regards,
Carlos

October 15, 2018 at 3:32 pm #2818133

fatihC-2

Hi Carlos

Thank you for your return.

Could you please carify that in order to inform google that a post has a translation, those strings must be translated?

Some cases in the string translation default language and secondary language contents are mixed.

What could be the reason

October 16, 2018 at 3:20 pm #2821530

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,

1.- In order to let Google know about the structure of your site and the languages you can install Yoast SEO -> Create the sitemap -> Import it to your Google Console account.

Also when you visit the post in the dront end you will see the 'hreflang' elements in the code informing in which language is the post and which are the translations.

2.- In the case of the strings in the wrong language you need to follow this steps:
- Go to WPML -> String Translation -> Search the string(s) -> Select the string using the checkbox in the left column -> Change the language of the string by using the button below the strings table.

Best regards,
Carlos

October 22, 2018 at 11:47 am #2837874

fatihC-2

Hi Carlos

1 - Yes, we have made it long time ago

2 - writing in special Turkish characters is not going to create issues right?
%%başlık%% %%sayfa%% %%(here goes sep in Turkish)%% %%(here

October 22, 2018 at 5:27 pm #2839218

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

Writing in specials Turkish characters shouldn't create any issue. Anyways, as a best practice I recommend you to create a full backup of the site before testing this.

Best regards,
Carlos