This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Rajeeb Banstola 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Rajeeb Banstola.

Author Posts
August 23, 2019 at 9:10 pm #4449815

adamB-42

Website is approximately 40 pages. Starting with homepage, I am translating the content over time.

If I go to the homepage, and use the language switcher to change to simplified chinese, this works correctly. however, if I proceed to follow a link from the simplified chinese, I am taken to the english version of the link target rather than the simplifed chinese translation of the link target (which is completed). At this time, with current setup, I can only get to the translation of the link target by employing the language switcher after I land at the english version.

I would like for translated link targets to be appear consistently as follows: If following a link from a translated page, the link target will appear in the same language if a translation of that page is available, otherwise it would appear in english.

Is this possible?

August 24, 2019 at 4:48 am #4450943

adamB-42

multilingual content is under WPML - Settings for me. i ran the scan and adjust links and it ran through about 100,000. After complete, I still get English when following link from chinese page to what should be a chinese page.

August 24, 2019 at 3:19 pm #4452019

adamB-42

My issue is now resolved as the linked to page is in the same language as the linked from page. Presumably this will continue as the site is developed. If I could propose the following: The difficulty I was experiencing seems to be quite common and a great deal of time is no doubt spent on this issue across multiple support people. Two things: The "scan and adjust" links is located under settings, not translation management (at least in my version), this could be adjusted in your responses which no doubt get recycled for similar issues. Secondly, my issue resolved after I checked both the source page and the target page for completion. The source page had been changed. I updated the translation (so that the pencil icon appeared rather than the gears or circular icon or whatever appeared). At this point the problem resolved automatically, I did not need to re-run scan and update. So it appears that both the source and target need to be in a complete status (pencil icon) (no changes waiting for update) before scan and update will work. (If indeed scan and update was needed at all to resolve my particular issue) Thanks.

August 27, 2019 at 7:42 am #4463439

Rajeeb Banstola

Hi,

Thank you for understanding. Sometimes you would have to update the source/default language, in order to update the translations.

Let me know if you have any other questions.