Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 14:00 8:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 13:00 11:00 – 15:00 10:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 19:00 13:00 – 17:00 14:00 – 18:00 16:00 – 20:00 15:00 – 19:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

This topic contains 19 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 1 year ago.

Assisted by: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
March 31, 2023 at 10:07 pm #13379255

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi there.

Thank you for the explanation but it's practically impossible to debug this issue as long as there's data from the database.

Do you have a backup of the site from when WPML was working fine before you made the updates?

And what exact updates have you taken? For what plugins? Or what other changes?

Please let me know.

Mihai

April 10, 2023 at 10:13 pm #13440545

santiagoE-2

Hi Mihai,
Well the thing is that other than the backup I made when you asked me a couples of weeks ago 2023-03-16 I have one done one a day before the site was officially published 2022-05-10. Some changes where made in the mean while, but if it is possible to recover from that copy, I could take care of updating the site. I didn't made any other update in any one of the plugins. By the way, If we deactivate completely the WPML plugin to leaf the site just in its original language (english) and we buy a new registration number to work from scratch the additional languages, could that work? We received a renewal message from WPML (may-09-20223)... is justa a month missing so we could try that, but do you think it could work?

Captura de Pantalla 2023-04-10 a la(s) 17.02.53.png
April 12, 2023 at 7:33 pm #13459221

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi there.

Renewing the license or buying a new license will not recover any lost data from the database.

So probably something went wrong in the migration process to the new site/domain and some data was lost.

If I were you, I would start from the old version of the site where WPML was working, and depending on how old the WPML version was, you might want to take a look at the recommendations inside these 2 tickets:

- https://wpml.org/forums/topic/update-from-old-version/#post-5762789
- https://wpml.org/forums/topic/updating-an-old-wpml/#post-5032155

That should guide you correctly on how to update WPML to the latest versions gradually.

PS: Please don't forget about doing a backup first, that's critical especially when you are updating from very old versions of WPML.

Please let me know how things go.

Mihai

April 12, 2023 at 10:06 pm #13460063

santiagoE-2

Hi Mihai! Ok... I'm clear about the situation. So, just to be clear I'm doing the right thing: My idea, at this point, is to recover the backup made before the WPML plugin was installed. I'll work over that version updating the site in its original language and after that, I'll reactivate the WPML license to work once again in the two additional languages... Do you thing this could work? I'll be looking forward for your thoughts before beginning. Thank you!

April 13, 2023 at 9:45 pm #13468811

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi there.

Yes, that sounds like a good plan.

For migrating your site between domains/hosting environments, my recommendation is that you use a plugin like "Duplicator":
- https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Documentation can be found here:
hidden link

Here is a small tutorial on how to use Duplicator:
hidden link

After you migrate your site to the new domain, you will just need to go to WPML.org > Account > Sites (https://wpml.org/account/sites) and remove the old key that you were using on the other domain and generate a new key for the new domain (or you can leave both keys there but it will take one of your website slots).

After that, go back to the newly migrated website backend > Plugins > Add new > Commercial and register the new key (you might need to click "Unregister" first).

I hope that you will find this information helpful!

Mihai

The topic ‘[Closed] UNEXPECTED DEACTIVATION OF WPML PLUGIN ON MY SITE’ is closed to new replies.