This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Unexpected Server load from wp_icl_string_pages

Solution: a) Upgrade to the latest version of WPML

b) Visit WPML>>Support>>Troubleshooting page, then click on *Recreate ST DB cache tables* button. This will clear the String Translation caches, including the *wp_icl_string_pages* table.

c) Visit WPML>>String Translation and enable *Auto-Registering* option for all the String Domains.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by julianZ-4 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
June 24, 2019 at 3:48 pm #4078407

julianZ-4

I am trying to: Load the site

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: every site

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:

We have a problem with: wp_icl_string_pages

I already checked https://wpml.org/faq/why-string-translation-appears-to-slow-down-sites/ => we did not have a check there

The table has a size of 2.6GB on my website preispirat.ch

Here's the info my serveradmins sent:

| 10657051 | preissspirat_dbu | localhost | preissspirat_db | Query | 0 | Sending data | SELECT * FROM `wp_icl_string_pages` LIMIT 22261000, 1000 |

===

-rw-r----- 1 mysql mysql 2.6G Jun 24 15:59 wp_icl_string_pages.ibd

Any advice?

June 25, 2019 at 9:44 am #4082819

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Thanks for getting in touch, I can definitely help you out with this. Here’s what you’ll need to get started:

a) Upgrade to the latest version of WPML

b) Visit WPML>>Support>>Troubleshooting page, then click on *Recreate ST DB cache tables* button. This will clear the String Translation caches, including the *wp_icl_string_pages* table.

c) Visit WPML>>String Translation and enable *Auto-Registering* option for all the String Domains.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

June 28, 2019 at 1:11 pm #4107581

julianZ-4

Hi Shekar

Thanks for your help.

I did that, it's a bit better now.

But still, the table size is larger than 500MB (from 2.6GB). I did not translate many strings.. it should not be that huge, should it? What can I do?

July 1, 2019 at 3:45 am #4115509

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Seems unusual, could you please provide me login details so I can check this issue further? To debug this issue further, I would need to check your site settings once, for this I would need temporary access (wp-admin and ftp) to your site.

So could you please provide me those details, you will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
hidden link

This info is private and available to you and WPML supporters only.
Read more about this: https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Note:
Backup your sites before providing the credentials or if possible provide credentials for the test site

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

July 1, 2019 at 2:09 pm #4120005

julianZ-4

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

I don't know why, but the table is now just 5.22MB which is not unusual I think

July 14, 2019 at 12:49 pm #4205571

julianZ-4

It's blown up again to 2GB :/ *Recreate ST DB cache tables* helped again, but is there not a permanent solution? I don't want to click that button every two weeks 🙂