This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by siefridt 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Assigned support staff: Raja Mohammed.

Author Posts
September 20, 2019 at 9:32 am

siefridt

Hi,

We're setting up a record label shop, main language French, translated in English. Note that in the front-end, everything works smoothly, but problems arise in the admin that will make the future shop administrator kind of lost in between a ton of « useless » attributes to choose from :

The attributes for each products are Interpreters, composers, awards and so on. One of them needs to be translated (Instruments), which is working perfectly. The others need to be left as they are in French (like Récompenses (Awards)). For them I set WPML to « don’t translate ». As I said, this is working fine on the front end, but here is what really bugs me in the back end :

First thing : when I create a product in our main language, French, I can choose from attributes in French AND English, resulting in great confusion (for example, I can add « interprètes » but also « interpreters »).

Second thing : All of the untranslated attribute values, in their original French version, are automatically duplicated, resulting in, say, in the Interprètes attribute, two Beethoven, two Mozarts, two Tchaikowski etc. which is great for music but not for the user of the admin 🙂

I tried to tweak the WPML setting, cleaned the DB, exported the products and imported them back, removed manually what seemed to be unused attributes. But whatever I do, I’m back to the same situation. The one thing I’d like to eliminate first is the English version of the attributes to show in the French product editing page. Then i’d like to get rid of the duplicated values in the French attributes.

I hope I was clear enough to give you an idea of the problem we’re facing and I look forward to hearing from you !

Cedric

September 20, 2019 at 10:00 am
September 23, 2019 at 10:21 am #4622413

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello there,

I will continue assisting you here,

I checked your site and it seems there are duplicate attributes already created in Products > Attributes (Interprète(s), Interpreters (s) and Compositeur(s), Composers (s) ) => hidden link

I think this is a result of changing the attributes to "Not Translate" for an already translated attribute which resulted in two unrelated separate Attributes. The solution that you can try is deleting the duplicate attribute in English since you have decided to keep only the french attributes.

Backup your site and database
- goto Product > Attributes
- Delete the English attributes of Composers and Interpreters
- This might result in some instability to overcome that I would suggest changing the translated preference of French attributes (whose English counterpart is deleted) should be changed to "Translatable: Use the translation when available or return to the default language" Instead of Not Translate.

I hope this helps you resolve your issue, Let me know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards
Raja

September 26, 2019 at 12:48 pm #4646943

siefridt

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!