Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Dražen Duvnjak 1 year, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Dražen Duvnjak.

Author Posts
August 2, 2020 at 12:25 pm #6721723

desireeM

I have translated most strings for a specific plugin via string translation.
The plugin changed its textdomain however.

Is there a way to "map" the strings of the old textdomain in string translation to the new textdomain?
Right now, I am seeing all the strings with the new textdomain as "untranslated" - and retranslating them again is too much work (1000s of strings in multiple languages)

August 2, 2020 at 12:34 pm #6721839

desireeM

?

August 4, 2020 at 8:21 am #6731543

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hello,

thanks for contacting WPML support.

I have checked on this specific issue and since plugin probably changed their text-domain for reason, best would be to try import "old" translations to new text-domain strings.

Can you please try by following the next steps.

Please make a backup before proceeding.

1) Go to WPML> String translation > Import / export .po

2) Export old textdomain translated strings. Go to Export strings into .po/.pot file and check "include translations also".

3) Import this PO file with translation back to the new text-domain. Select to import translated strings and check " Also create translations according to the .po file". Chose a new plugin text-domain. Click Submit.

4) Review and chose which strings to import and click to run the import process.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Drazen