Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
update from old version

Solution:

1. Different versions of WPML can be downloaded from this link here, under your WPML.org account - https://wpml.org/download/wpml-multilingual-cms/?section=changelog

2. Please make sure that you first create a full website backup so that you are safe no matter what happens.

3. The oldest version you are able to download from that link is "3.8.3". After that, I recommend that you update to each new major version (3.9, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3).

You can also try to create a full website backup first and then update to the latest version and see what happens - it there's gonna be serious errors and not simple notifications, then please update gradually.

0% of people find this useful.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 4 years ago.

Assisted by: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
March 25, 2020 at 12:06 pm #5760081

hansS-11

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Currently WPML version 3.2.2 is on this site. I have updated WP and other plugins and now I need to update WPML as well.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
https://wpml.org/errata/updating-wpml-in-a-secure-way-from-a-very-old-version/

it says I need to upgrade in major steps, so I cannot just download the latest version and update. Which versions do I need to upgrade to first? And where can I get those versions?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?
it is still on my local machine

March 25, 2020 at 4:47 pm #5762789

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

First of all, thank you very much for your patience and sorry to have you waiting - there is a very full ticket queue at the moment and it takes us a bit more than usual to answer tickets.

Now, regarding your request:

1. Different versions of WPML can be downloaded from this link here, under your WPML.org account - https://wpml.org/download/wpml-multilingual-cms/?section=changelog

2. Please make sure that you first create a full website backup so that you are safe no matter what happens.

3. The oldest version you are able to download from that link is "3.8.3". After that, I recommend that you update to each new major version (3.9, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3).

You can also try to create a full website backup first and then update to the latest version and see what happens - it there's gonna be serious errors and not simple notifications, then please update gradually.

I hope that you will find this information helpful.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

March 26, 2020 at 7:22 am #5766433

hansS-11

Hi, Mihai,

thank you for your reply, I am going to do this step by step,

kind regards,
Hans

March 26, 2020 at 10:40 am #5768095

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi Hans.

That is great and sounds like a good plan. Please don't forget to create a backup before doing anything else.

If things are going out alright, can you also please mark this ticket as resolved?

Please let me know.

Kind regards,
Mihai

March 26, 2020 at 1:44 pm #5769781

hansS-11

Hi Mihai

everything worked fine on my local machine. I had to create a key in my WPML account and did so for houseoflifeabydos.local.

Now I have put the site on the live location, houseoflifeabydos.com but I cannot activate WPML, it crashes the site. Both local and live site are on php 7.2.
By enabling the plugin I had not yet had the possibility to update the WPML key, it crashes the site upon activating.

I enabled debugging and receive the following:

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined method stdClass::is_enabled() in /mnt/web020/e0/15/53905115/htdocs/WordPress_01/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/language-switcher/class-wpml-ls-settings.php:346 Stack trace: #0 /mnt/web020/e0/15/53905115/htdocs/WordPress_01/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/language-switcher/class-wpml-ls-inline-styles.php(274): WPML_LS_Settings->get_active_slots() #1 /mnt/web020/e0/15/53905115/htdocs/WordPress_01/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/language-switcher/class-wpml-ls-admin-ui.php(105): WPML_LS_Inline_Styles->admin_output() #2 /mnt/web020/e0/15/53905115/htdocs/WordPress_01/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(288): WPML_LS_Admin_UI->admin_head_action('') #3 /mnt/web020/e0/15/53905115/htdocs/WordPress_01/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(312): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array) #4 /mnt/web020/e0/15/53905115/htdocs/WordPress_01/wp-includes/plugin.php(478): WP_Hook->do_action(Array) #5 /mnt/web020/e0/15/53905115/htdocs/WordPress_01/w in /mnt/web020/e0/15/53905115/htdocs/WordPress_01/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/language-switcher/class-wpml-ls-settings.php on line 346

can you please help?
I really do not know what to do now

March 26, 2020 at 3:30 pm #5771401

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

That can happen for multiple reasons.

1. Please make sure that the WPML minimum requirements are met (https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/)

2. Please disable all the non-WPML plugins and see if the issue is still happening.

3. If that still happens, please try this, too: delete the WPML plugin and then try to reinstall it after you download it from your WPML.org account.

Also, I don't know what process you followed for migrating the site from local to production, but our recommendation is to use a plugin like "Duplicator" (https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/)

Documentation can be found here: hidden link

Here is a small tutorial on how to use Duplicator:
hidden link

Please let me know how that goes.

Kind regards,
Mihai

March 27, 2020 at 7:34 am #5775931

hansS-11

Hi, Mihai,

I have checked the requirements: all ok.
I have disabled all other plugins: same issue.
I have reinstalled the latest version of WPML. Same issue.

I have migrated the site not using Duplicator but a similar tool, Ithemes Backupbuddy / importbuddy.

Based on the error, I have found this post: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/fatal-error-when-activating-wpml-multilingual-cms-on-digital-ocean/

so I created a clean WordPress install, installed WPML and copied content of said database table over to the site.

Now it works.

thanks

March 27, 2020 at 3:20 pm #5780931

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi there.

That is amazing to hear!

I am very happy that the issue is now resolved.

Can you also please mark this current ticket as resolved, too?

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Mihai

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.