This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The user wanted to update Media Translation from 2.1.14 to 2.5.3 and asked if there is any database change that could make the update erroneous. Solution: The update that the user is trying to do is a minor update and should not have any breaking changes.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Peter 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Jamal.

Author Posts
September 30, 2019 at 11:15 am #4664017

Peter

I am trying to:
I have a working site with WP-Media 2.1.14, which I want to update to 2.5.3
The primary language is english.
After updating to 2.5.3 (and all other WPML plugins to the newest version), all Media seem to be labelled as "english" - although they are correctly attached to posts in their respective language.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link
(the spanish version does not show pics, but the english does)

I expected to see:
the pictures in spanish / german etc.

Instead, I got:
No pics at all - except in english

I did NOT run any of the processes in Settings->Media Translations (see screenshot)

I had a similar problem years ago. The solution back then was to incrementally upgrade the pics, so every change in the database is done step by step
There are many version steps from 2.1.14 to 2.5.3
Which ones change the database and are necessary for this process?
Thank you for all hints!

October 1, 2019 at 8:15 am #4669423

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I will be glad to help with this.

Updating Media Translation from 2.1.14 to 2.5.3 does not need any database update, it is a minor update and should complete without issues.

The example page does not seem to present this issue, I can see the logo and 7 pictures in all versions:
- hidden link
- hidden link
- hidden link

Please provide an example of a page that shows pics in English and does not for other languages.

Best regards,
Jamal
WPML Support

October 1, 2019 at 4:23 pm #4673999

Peter

Thank you for the hint, that the database structure did not change. That was the key for me! This website was not changed since three years. So I simply copied the three year old wp_icl_translations table into the new system and everything seems to work now technically fine (we still have to clean up missing translations, which we could not do earlier).
Sorry for the link, that did not show the problem: I changed settings and removed/added plugins, so the effect could not be seen....