This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
July 31, 2019 at 7:42 am

navidN

I am trying to: Update categories or tags on our website taimer.com, yet the description did not save and gave no error.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
Category sample: hidden link
Tag sample: hidden link

I expected it save the changes. I followed the replies in here: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/i-cant-update-category-content-2/ and the fact that Dennis told about "This problem usually happens when you are using two equal slugs for your categories in both languages. WordPress does not allow two taxonomies to have the same slug.

Could you please, besides changing the category name/description, also change the slug of the category to verify that the category will be updated correctly?"

Well, in our case the slugs are different. Yet, still, I have to change the slug manually in order to force WordPress/WMPL save the changes.

July 31, 2019 at 1:10 pm #4314655

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

I´ll be helping you with this issue.

1. System access
Unfortunately, when I cut&paste the username/pwd into the login box, the combination is not working. Please verify that you have provided the correct information.

2. Taxonomy Translation
Are you using the Taxonomy Translation tool? or are you using the WordPress native interface for taxonomies to change the slug?

3. Example
What are the expected translated/original URLs for the examples you provided.

Thanks

August 2, 2019 at 9:33 am
August 2, 2019 at 1:49 pm #4330635

Yvette
Supporter

THanks I am now able to enter. Can you please answer my other questions? Here they are again:

2. Taxonomy Translation
Are you using the Taxonomy Translation tool? or are you using the WordPress native interface for taxonomies to change the slug?

3. Example
What are the expected translated/original URLs for the examples you provided.

August 5, 2019 at 7:18 am #4338459

navidN

Sure,
This is how we translate them.
For the Categories, I'm not sure as it has been added by a freelance developer that we don't have access to anymore. But, for the tags, we added first the EN version, then under Language section in edit mode (Pls check the attached image), clicked on the specific language like Finnish and filled the on-screen fields.

August 5, 2019 at 7:19 am #4338489

navidN

BTW:
Since today we are getting a database error that says call WMPL support to fix it. Can you take a look at that too. Image is attached:

August 5, 2019 at 10:27 am #4339821

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

1. Database problem

I will need to do the following steps to address this issue:
1.1 Recreate the ST DB cache tables running this tool
WPML > Support > Troubleshooting > Cleanup > Recreate ST DB Cache tables

1.2 I will then need to apply the following query on your database:

ALTER TABLE `wp_icl_string_pages`
      ADD UNIQUE INDEX `string_id_and_url_id` (`string_id`, `url_id`);

Note: resetting the cache tables means you may experience some performance impact while the tables get repopulated.

I would like your permission to do this and that you have a restorable copy of your site ready to use if needed.

2. TAGS
Please, again, answer the following question:
What are the expected translated/original URLs for the examples you provided at the start of this thread.

August 5, 2019 at 11:24 am #4340075

navidN

"I would like your permission to do this and that you have a restorable copy of your site ready to use if needed."-->
- Is it possible to schedule this? As I need to inform our developer to alert and be standby...
- "What are the expected translated/original URLs for the examples you provided at the start of this thread."
The URL for EN version for example of invoice template tag supposed to be:
EN: hidden link
FI: hidden link (but system sometimes ads -fi to the URL like this case for Finnish translation)
SV: hidden link (but system sometimes ads -sv to the URL like this case for Swedish translation)

August 5, 2019 at 11:59 am #4340363

Yvette
Supporter

1 . Database fix
I would actually prefer if you were to do the actions precisely so that it can be done on a "downtime".

Please advise on this. The steps are listed as I would execute them.

2. Thank you.

Waiting for you to tell me what you decide to do wrt to the database.

August 6, 2019 at 12:44 pm #4347579

navidN

Please schedule this to be done in 2 hours from now if possible. anytime between 17:00-8:00am ( EEST or UTC +3 hours). Is this possible?

August 6, 2019 at 12:53 pm #4347609

Yvette
Supporter

Yes - I can set a note for me to do this at 18:00 CEST

Thank you for notifying me.

August 6, 2019 at 7:48 pm #4350229

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

The database issue is resolved but the problem with not being able to update the tag slugs remains.

1. Diagnostic
If possible, can you please deactivate your non-WPML plugins and also temporarily change your theme to Twenty Nineteen. Then, try again to update the slugs of your tags to remove the language code. For some reason, I was able to do this once for the fi bersion of the slug but thereafter, it would not allow me to make any changes.

Are you able to save a change to the tag?

2. Copy of your site
Please send me a copy of your site so I can test locally. Here are the instructions. Please do not attempt to upload the Duplicate file package but instead use a file sharing service and only send the download link in your next reply.

https://wpml.org/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

August 7, 2019 at 9:42 am
August 7, 2019 at 10:55 am #4354063

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

You wrote: ".. We have asked the web hosting service provider to use a backup and bring it up. So the changes you made might need reconsideration..."

Could you let me know when this is done?

The changes done to the database only involve ONE caching table so this would not affect the site the way you are describing.

If the old message regarding the database table returns - we woudl have to re-execute the same steps as before. Is there a problem with this?

August 8, 2019 at 1:43 pm #4363375

navidN

Hi Yvette,

I have asked our hosting service provider regarding this issue and here's their answer:

"The WPML database error that is shown on the dashboard seems to have been timed at the same time yesterday our server had a small database problem. By looking at the log file in location /data/log/php-error.log the error is not ongoing anymore... It's hard to say for sure if the steps can affect Blog Comments or Footer but our guess is that they should not affect them."

So, it seems the two DB issues were at the same time...now, we have a green light from them. Can you schedule the process same as the other day around 18:00 CEST? Then it should be fine.

Best regards,
Mohsen

The topic ‘[Closed] Updates on category/tags description randomly does not save & gives no error’ is closed to new replies.