This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Client wants to update the plugins WPML Multilingual CMS and WPML String Translation but it gives me an error on both Solution: Unregistering the site and then asking for a new key to register it again. Relevant Documentation:

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by nourD 3 years, 6 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
September 12, 2016 at 7:35 pm #1075874

nourD

I am trying to: update the plugins WPML Multilingual CMS and WPML String Translation but it gives me an error on both. I was trying to update both directly from WordPress Plugins dashboard. I'm attaching the errors it gives me for both. Can you please help me? How can I update both plugins without loosing the information I already have. I have received direct help before for both and I don't want to lose whatever information was added. Thank you so much.

URL of (my) website where problem appears:

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:

Steps to duplicate the issue:

September 13, 2016 at 9:46 am #1076860

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello.

I see that you have an older version of the modules and I am suspecting that this error is connected with trying to upgrade directly from 3.3.8 to the recent release or having a bad sitekey registered.

1. Sitekey registration
Could you please try removing your registration key (e.g. unregister from wpml.org) and then entering a new sitekey being sure to not have any spaces introduced.

Are you able to now complete the installation?

2. Upgrading from dashboard
If the problem persists....it might have to do with having an older version of the modules installed.
In these cases , we recommend doing the upgrade in "hops" and manually. Could you try downloading the 3.4.0 version and seeing if you are able manually complete an upgrade?

Here is a screencast how you would do this:
hidden link

And here are manual instructions:
You can follow these steps to manually update your WPML plugin.
Note: Manually updating the WPML plugins will not effect the settings or translations you have already set. Those options, saved to the database not be lost if you deactivate the plugins. You can follow these steps.

1. Please check that you do not have the installer plugin for WPML installed or active, this plugin is obsolete and included in the Multilingual CMS plugin.
2. Take a Backup your database – see for example:http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-db-backup/
3. Deactivate the existing WPML plugin and add-ons.
4. Delete the plugin files ( again this does not delete your translations. You will simply delete the plugin files from you "wp-content/plugins" folder NOT the database records. )
5. Download the updated plugins from our servers and upload them to the plugin directory. Visit https://wpml.org/account/downloads/
6. Activate the WPML plugin.

Thank you for letting me know the results of these actions.

September 19, 2016 at 9:14 pm #1088338

nourD

Thank you. It was solved by following the first step:unregistering the site. And then asking for a new key to register it again.
I was able to download the latest version of the plugin.
Thank you.