This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 47 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
May 13, 2020 at 7:11 pm #6125707

peterB-85

Tell us what you are trying to do?

We have a slider on our homepage, for each language we have different slides. For some reason, when I add 3 or more slide to to German or US English, it breaks or removes content from other languages slides. We also use Advanced Custom Fields. This has worked for a long time and this issue is recent.

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?

hidden link

May 14, 2020 at 3:02 pm #6133795

peterB-85

Hello! I really need help here. Something has broken and it seems due to an update with either WPML or Advanced Custom Fields but I need help seeing why its happening. We are in a big bind here.

May 15, 2020 at 8:16 pm #6143959

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the WPML Suppport Forum.

Do I understand right, that those slides are created with ACF?

If so, does the issue disappear if you downgrade to ACF Multilingual 1.6.0 and retranslate the pages?

I think it might be better if I take a look a the site. I have enabled the private reply box in order for you to provide admin access.

Please make sure to take a backup of the site and database first.

Kind regards
Andreas

May 15, 2020 at 8:34 pm #6143997

peterB-85

Also, yes those slide are managed through ACF. They have worked for years so maybe the updated plugin for ACF Multilingual is part of the problem if the update has any issues. Thanks again for looking at this.

May 16, 2020 at 4:39 am #6145531

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for providing access to your site.

I can see that the field translation options inside of the field group "Page Hero" are set to "don´t translate" and I adjusted them for the background image to "copy" and for text to "translate".

Now, in order to transalte those fields we need to translate the homepage by using the WPML Translation Editor but for this first you need to install our plugin Translation Management.

Then run the setup wizard and select one of the editors. You can choose between "Classic Editor" which supports HTML and meta information or "Advanced Translation Editor" which converts everything in small text segments and offers a translation memory and a automatic machine translation subscriptions.

More information here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/translation-editor-options/

Also, for more questions about how to translate ACF please read this documentation and let me know if you need further assistance.

https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/

Kind regards
Andreas

May 16, 2020 at 1:06 pm #6146889

peterB-85

Ok thank you I will do that and get back to you. Were you able to replicate my issue? Was there a reason I didn't have this issue before without the Translation Management plugin. Thanks for the help and I will keep you posted.

May 16, 2020 at 7:24 pm #6148477

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hi,

First we use our glue plugin ACF Multilingual in order to add translation options for single fields.

Now, our Translation Management Plugin is actually the core application in order to translate any custom fields and custom taxonomies which might be the reason why the translation is not working.

In your case, if not using Translation Management, you would actually need to translate the Field Groups and then edit the fields on the native WordPress Editor for each page respectively.

We actually can not recommend to translate Field Groups as it can lead to unexpected behavior.

This is why we recommend using Translation Management in order to be able to use one of the WPML Translation Editors.

Now, the WPML Translation Editors will further make sure that the layout and style of your pages are copied towards the translation, which means you will no longer need to edit those changes on each page manually.

Please read through the earlier provided documentations and let me know if you do have any further questions.

Kind regards
Andreas

May 16, 2020 at 7:42 pm #6148543

peterB-85

Ok thank you very much. I will go through all this first thing Monday EST and if all is good, I will close this ticket and if not, I’ll let you know. Thanks again!

May 16, 2020 at 11:54 pm #6148821

peterB-85

Hello, I think the part I am confused about is what to do when the slides on our homepage are different between languages? We use the slides for promotions and each language has its own promotions. So the homepage slides are not the same for each language. The slide content and the number of slides can be (and usually are) different. That's what is confusing for me, the instructions seem to expect the content and amount of slides to equally align between languages but we create different slides for each language. The original issue we are having is that when we update slides for one language, another language can be affected (either the other languages text and slide images get messed up or the slides completely disappear). I might be missing something in the shared instructions that will help me.

May 17, 2020 at 12:14 am #6148829

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hi,

Ok, I understand.

In this case please try not using Translation Management/WPML Translation Editor.

I would suggest you test if you can simply translate the field group of the slider. After that you should be able to see the fields for the sliders on each page respectively on the native WordPress Editor.

More information can be found here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/#translating-field-groups

There you should be able to edit/add images and text. If this will not work out we might need to investigate further, but honestly I would recommend using the LayerSlider or
Slider Revolution Plugin instead, if available.

https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/creating-multilingual-sliders-using-layerslider-and-wpml/

https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/creating-multilingual-sliders-with-revolution-slider-and-wpml/

Let me know if further assistance is needed.

Kind regards
Andreas

May 17, 2020 at 12:18 am #6148857

peterB-85

Ok, thank you. Should I still keep the Translation Management plugin installed? It looks like it helps me identify the translation settings in the Multilingual Content Setup for the custom fields easier, which is nice.

May 17, 2020 at 12:37 am #6148921

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hi,

Yes, for sure I would suggest keeping it.

Do you mind if I do some testing in regards to the ACF Field Groups and translating the sliders on your site? Please make sure to take a backup of the site and database first and let me know if you would like me to have a look.

Kind regards
Andreas

May 17, 2020 at 12:52 am #6148927

peterB-85

That would be greatly appreciated! I just completed a backup now. You will see in slide two for both English and German that the "small text" has a one and there is no button. Both slides originally had text in the "small text" and a button. They changed automatically when I added slides to French. That is the recent example of the issue but it has caused other similar issues that seem to affect different slides or delete slides in languages randomly. Thank you for your help, I hope it is easy to fix!

May 17, 2020 at 6:11 am #6150075

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hi,

I have tried now to create duplicates of the field groups and set the ACF system fields to copy.

Usually this should make those fields appear on all pages on backend accordingly where you can edit them and add repeater fields if needed, but for some reason this is not working out and I will need to look into this next week after taking a copy of the site.

For now, I have adjusted the MUltilingual Content Setup and enabled the WPML TranslatioN Editor and you should at least be able to translate the English Pages into the other languages.

Take a look at the homepage and open the German translation. I think I have gatheres all text fields hopefully. Another thing that makes me wonder is that the ACF image fields are set to ImageURL but on the WPML Translation Editor I see the attachment ID instead.

I hope for now I was able to assist you somehow and I will be back on Tuesday in order to assist and hope for your understanding.

Kind regards
Andreas

May 17, 2020 at 1:35 pm #6151859

peterB-85

Hi, thank you. I am concerned about losing the current translations of the rest of the pages. I see this screen (screenshot 9.25.33) when I go to edit English. If I look at the other languages of this page, the custom fields seem to be missing (screenshot 9.28.26) so I no longer edit the translations directly. Thanks again for the help.