This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by manosL-2 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcos Vinicios Barreto.

Author Posts
July 30, 2019 at 1:29 am #4303961

manosL-2

Greetings! I have read the documentation, I experimented with the settings and have seen the video guides, but I just can't seem to get how the updates on Elementor pages work with WPML. So this is more a call for help rather than an issue report, cause I am sure that it's just something that I am totally missing here...

I have managed to successfully translate all of my Elementor pages by using the classic wpml translator, as well as many strings. I am using the free version of Elementor.

However some issues come up when I need to edit anything on an Elementor page by using the Elementor editor. For example I edit the width of a separator element cause I want this on the language A a bit different than the original language. I make the change, update with Elementor and the changes are successfully applied. But when I then need to make an additional change in the translation by using the wpml translation editor and I save the changes, the changes that I previously made with Elementor are gone... Which means that I have to get back to Elementor builder and make all these changes again. Saving the translations on wpml editor somehow reverts the page styling with Elementor back to previous state...

I have read that in order to use and translate global widgets you need the Pro version of Elementor but I am sure that there is another workaround for sure.

Is this normal? And how else was I supposed to make the aforementioned edits. Wpml editor is for translation only, whereas the Elementor editor is used for everything else. How can I make them work together? Isn't it possible to have a cetain styling on the original language and a different one on the translation page?

Thanks in advance!

July 30, 2019 at 2:33 am #4304425

manosL-2

Update: Getting back at the dashboard and immediately re-saving the translation editor, right after updating styling changes in the translated pages with Elementor page builder, does not work for me. Changes like widths of separators or heights of spacers, just get reverted and keep on getting copied from the original language.

Workaround: However, the only solution for me is to stick only with the Elementor builder both for styling and translation changes after the initial setup with the wpml translation editor. When I only use Elementor and completely ignore prompts for translation updates by wpml in the dashboard, everything works fine.

July 30, 2019 at 5:23 pm #4309853

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I would need to replicate this issue in your website in order to understand its details. For now, I suppose the issue happens because your translations are kept in sychronization with your default language content, it means whenever you save it the styles of the default language page will be copied from your translations. I think it could be of help to duplicating your page content for your secondary languages and translate them independently, in other words to stop the synchronization between pages and then edit your secondary page using the elementor builder. Please, let me know if it makes sense.

See:
https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/elementor/
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/page-builders/preserving-existing-translations/
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-different-translation-editors-for-different-pages/

Have a nice day.

July 31, 2019 at 3:48 pm #4316241

manosL-2

Yup! That is pretty much what works for me right now so... problem solved! Although I would really like to see, maybe in the future, the possibillity of another feature like the WPML auto-rescanning the source page again after non-text updates in Elementor or sth like that.

Anyways, thanks for the help, keep it up!