This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
May 4, 2018 at 8:08 am #1970504

nikA

Hello,
We have translated selected pages into French using external CAT tool. After translation I've uploaded zip file with all translations and it worked perfectly. Having French version working, we've asked another translator to look at the translated pages and perform in-context review. Translator was looking at translations on the website and whenever found translation requiring changing, was making changes in external CAT tool (in the files that were uploaded to our site previously). After that, he sent us a batch of files with updated translated content. So I uploaded zip with updated translations believing that existing files will be overwritten by new ones but... nothing has changed. I have information that upload was fine and jobs are completed but when translator looked at the site, none of his changed were applied. I've asked him to look directly in WPML translation tool and he confirmed that translations don't have his changes applied.
So the question is: how to update existing translations by uploading updated files? Manual update directly in WPML is a big no, we don't want to give any type of access to our site to translators and we need to use CAT tools to have translation memory always up to date.

I really hope you can help:)

May 6, 2018 at 5:48 pm #2000392

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

Thank you for contacting the WPML support forum.

Could you please describe in details the steps that you are taking in this process?
Where are you exporting the files from?
In what format are you exporting them?
And the same questions for importing the files?
Do the files have the same name of the original uploaded files?
Sometimes screen-shots illustrating what you mean may go a long way to clarify what words fail to transmit, so if you like, make use of “upload an image” below the comment area.

To ensure the quickest and most accurate support, please provide your debug information so that I can get a look at some of your configurations.
We have an excellent article on how to located here: https://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/.

Thanks,
Itamar.

May 10, 2018 at 8:01 am #2067087

nikA

Answers:

Could you please describe in details the steps that you are taking in this process?
1. WPML->Translations-> selecting zip file containing xliff files with updated/proofread translation and uploading it
2. Getting information that Translation of job XYZ has been uploaded and completed
3. Going to the jobs and checking if changes from new xliff files were applied and no, still old translations, no sign of proofreading changes.

Where are you exporting the files from?
WPML->Translations->checking boxes next to the jobs I want to export and exporting them.

In what format are you exporting them?
Xliff... that's what comes out from WPML.

And the same questions for importing the files?
And the same answers as above

Do the files have the same name of the original uploaded files?
Yes, all file names are the same all the time.

May 10, 2018 at 4:51 pm #2077513

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thanks for clarifying the issue.

I've tested things on my local server, and I think that I know what is wrong with the process that you are doing. In short, the issue is that a new job needs to be created and the XLIFF files need to be exported again. If you are sending to the new translator (the one that makes the corrections) the old XLIFF files (the ones from the first export), it will not work because the job is marked as 'Complete'. Here is the correct process after the job is completed.
A. Go to WPML -> Translation Management and send the posts to the basket.
B. Go to the Translation Basket and send the items for translations.
C. Go to WPML -> Translations and export the job as an XLIFF file (zip).
D. Send them to the translator.
C. Receive the corrected files from the translator.
D. Import them again in WPML -> Translations.
Now it should work. The correction should be implemented.
The main points are these.
1. A new job needs to be created.
2. The new files from that job need to be the ones that the translator works on.
This is because there is a job ID on each file.

If that is not the exact process that you were doing can you try that and tell if it works?

Thanks,
Itamar.

The topic ‘[Closed] Updating existing translations’ is closed to new replies.