This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 10.80 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
April 16, 2019 at 9:39 am #3620505

tres-isi-mirobriga-s.l.u.C

We have a new customer with a WordPress page out of date from 4 years, we are updating all plugins, themes, ..., and now is time to update WPML, which is the sequence recommended to update from 3.1.9.4. to 4.2.5.?

I supose the direct update is not recommend.

Thank you so much.

April 16, 2019 at 12:30 pm #3622043

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

Can you please follow the steps in the ticket below and let me know if that solved the issue:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/how-to-update-old-versions-of-wpml/

It is very important that first of all the client is creating a full backup of the current site (files+database) for safety measures.

Usually, manual update is a better option to go with in situations like this but you can try also to update straight from the WordPress panel and it might simply work.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

April 23, 2019 at 11:13 am #3662661

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for the information.

I marked your reply as private as it was containing sensitive information.

1. Can you please create a full backup of the site and then go here (hidden link) and update the plugins?

2. If that doesn't make any difference, can you please try this:

- disable all plugins except WPML and its add-ons
- check if the issue is happening again
- if it's not, reactivate your plugins one by one, checking every time if the issue shows up again so that you can understand which plugin is causing that issue

If the issue happens even with the non-WPML plugins disabled:

- leave all the non-WPML plugins deactivated
- switch to a default theme like TwentySeventeen
- try to recreate the issue now

What you are reporting sounds to me that we might be dealing with a compatibility issue between WPML and your current theme or one/multiple of the plugins that you use.

That is why I asked for this second step so that we can see if the issue is still happening even when only the WPML plugins are enabled.

Please let me know.

Kind regards,
Mihai