Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Client updated everything - WP to 4.6.1, WPML 3.5.3 and Avada theme 4.0.2. After the update Avada theme option setting for client's secondary language (French) has disappeared. Solution: Client solved solution by "going to English default theme option settings and choose in all languages. Then hit "save" button." Relevant Documentation:

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 2.48 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by osamuW 4 years, 9 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
September 28, 2016 at 3:22 am #1103274

osamuW

I just updated everything - WP to 4.6.1, WPML 3.5.3 and Avada theme 4.0.2. After the update Avada theme option setting for my secondary language (French) has disappeared.

I expected that the secondary language is also automatically updates to the same settings as the default language. Maybe I am missing something?

I am happy to provide you with the login credential so that you can take a look at the issue.

September 28, 2016 at 7:36 am #1103371

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello.

I understand that your theme option settings are not visisble/being applied in the secondary langauges.

1. Clarifications
1.1 Before upgrading, were the theme options present in all languages?

2. Theme options - how they work
You wrote: "I expected that the secondary language is also automatically updates to the same settings as the default language"

This is true if the theme option settings are registered for translation with a wpml-config.xml file. This "language configuration file" will register the included theme options with the String Translation table where you can then translate the options to other languages. If the options are not included in this file, the default languages settings are applied in the secondary language.

These values are normally stored in the wp-options database tables and retrieved by your theme/plugin template via the get_options() or get_theme_mod() calls. WPML will filter these calls to then retrieve the language-specific values for each option.

3. Next steps
3.1 Can you please confirm that you are using the Strint Tnraslation option for localising your theme? Sometimes, after upgrading, this options gets reset to not use WPML.

WPML -> Theme and Plugins localisation -> Select how to translate strings in the theme and plugins

3.2 Can you confirm that you have translated the relevant theme option values in String Trnaslation table?

3.3 Technical Information on you environment
Could you please provide information about your environment by following thsese steps: http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Thanks

September 28, 2016 at 9:27 am #1103469

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello.

I understand that your theme option settings are not visisble/being applied in the secondary langauges.

1. Clarifications
1.1 Before upgrading, were the theme options present in all languages?

2. Theme options - how they work
You wrote: "I expected that the secondary language is also automatically updates to the same settings as the default language"

This is true if the theme option settings are registered for translation with a wpml-config.xml file. This "language configuration file" will register the included theme options with the String Translation table where you can then translate the options to other languages. If the options are not included in this file, the default languages settings are applied in the secondary language.

These values are normally stored in the wp-options database tables and retrieved by your theme/plugin template via the get_options() or get_theme_mod() calls. WPML will filter these calls to then retrieve the language-specific values for each option.

3. Next steps
3.1 Can you please confirm that you are using the Strint Tnraslation option for localising your theme? Sometimes, after upgrading, this options gets reset to not use WPML.

WPML -> Theme and Plugins localisation -> Select how to translate strings in the theme and plugins

3.2 Can you confirm that you have translated the relevant theme option values in String Trnaslation table?

3.3 Technical Information on you environment
Could you please provide information about your environment by following thsese steps: http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Thanks

September 28, 2016 at 12:56 pm #1103717

osamuW

Thanks for your reply quickly. I have solved this issue. I went to English defaul theme option settings and choose in all languages. Then hit "save" button. It is all good now.