This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jamal 8 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Jamal.

Author Posts
February 18, 2019 at 10:50 am #3211396

yong-kinY

Hi Jamal,

Thanks so much!! I managed to figure it out and made the change just now.

Do you think there would be any major issue when I update WPML to the latest version? The website is a customised theme.

cheers
KIN

February 18, 2019 at 10:53 am #3211429

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Some of customer were able to update directly without having an issue. But i would not recommend that.
Updating WPML from the old version that you are using involves somewhat tedious work but it will eliminate possible issues when the update is done to the latest version (4.2.1).

What you'll need to do is update WPML in steps. This way you are ensuring that all the major functions and DB changes will be included.
You can get any of the mentioned old versions from the download section on your account here https://wpml.org/download/wpml-multilingual-cms/?section=changelog.
So prepare yourself all the listed version below beforehand. Each step will include deactivating and deleting the former installed version.
You would only need to do it for the WPML core plugin WPML Multilingual CMS (sitepress-multilingual-cms folder) and not for the add-ons. When you finish then you will be able to update the add-ons straight from your WordPress installation without a gradual process.
Here are the steps:
Make a backup of the files and database of your site.
Deactivate all WPML's plugins.
Update WordPress itself to its latest verison.
Update and activate the core "WPML Multilingual CMS" plugin one-by-one in the following order: 3.9.0 -> 3.9.4 -> 4.2.1 (latest).
The last step and the updating of the add-ons, you can do from our automatic updating section on your site here yousite.com/wp-admin/plugin-install.php?tab=commercial.

If your site is a live site it is recommended first to try those procedures in a staging environment or a snapshot of your site on your local server or another server.

Important! Please make a full site backup (files and DB) before you proceed with those steps

I hope this answers your question. And i remain at your disposal.

Best regards,
Jamal
WPML Support