This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by gofluentM 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
October 4, 2018 at 8:52 am #2786764

gofluentM

Hello!

I already uploaded the mo and po files for Peru, Chile, Argentina and Colombia. Created also the languages but the I visit the page for example for Colombia, it is still in English. The products are not translated.

Hope you can help!

Thank you.

October 5, 2018 at 5:30 pm #2791434

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

As far as I understand, you are looking to translate WooCommerce products.

What the theme language files can do is that they can translate all kind of strings that come together with the theme but they won't translate content (posts, pages, products etc.) that you manually create.

Those ones would need to be translated manually by you.

In order to be able to translate WooCommerce products with WPML, you will need to use the "WooCommerce Multilingual" plugin.

I see that you have the plugin installed already but I don't know if you managed to translate any products so far.

Here is some very helpful documentation on how you can use WCML to translate products (scroll down the page):
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/woocommerce-multilingual/

I also tried to visit your website but I could not find any products as it seems I need to have specific links in order to be able to see them.

Please let me know if you were able to translate any products using WCML or if you still need help.

Also, if this doesn't solve the issue, it would be very helpful if you can provide some extra information regarding the steps that you followed, what you want to accomplish more exactly and even some screenshots would help a lot so that I can better understand how I can help you.

I will be waiting for your response.

October 10, 2018 at 6:07 am #2803042

gofluentM

Hello,

Thank you for your response!

Here's the link: hidden link

What we want to do is to translate the woocommerce features using the mo and po file. I already did it to my local which I uploaded the mo and po files and then its automatically translated the buttons, fields and etc.

This is the screenshot for ES/Spain. I did not manually translate the buttons, labels, fields, etc. And that's what we want to achieve for Argentina, Colombia, Peru and Chile.

Hope you can help!

Thank you.

October 10, 2018 at 6:59 pm #2805489

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

Please follow the below steps and let me know if that helps:

1) Once you already uploaded the .mo files with the correct name, please go to WPML -> Theme & Plugins localization
2) Make sure that on the "Localization options" section you have selected the second checkbox that says "Translate themes and plugins using WPML's String Translation and always load .mo files as backup"
3) Scroll a bit and click the blue "Save" button

Now your site should also take into consideration the .mo files

Please let me know how it goes and if this solved your issue or if you still need help.

October 12, 2018 at 5:02 am #2810782

gofluentM

Hello,

Follow the steps that you sent. However, nothing happens. All woocommerce features are still in English.

Thank you.

October 12, 2018 at 2:43 pm #2812347

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

From what I can see, WooCoomerce gets translated correctly on the Spanish page (hidden link).

However, it seems that it still doesn't translate whenever you are on the other languages.

My guess is that this is related to the hreflang tag you are using for the languages.

For example, I can see in the site code that for the Spanish version, your site uses the "es" hreflang, which is something recognized by WooCommerce, but for the other languages I see that you use "es-" and the initials of the other countries (for example for Argentina we have "es-ar") so that might be something that WooCommerce does not recognize.

If the language is still Spanish, I would suggest you can try to use "es" as hreflang for the other languages, too, as for the moment from what I can see WooCommerce is only partially translated into the other languages:

https://translate.wordpress.org/locale/es-ar/default/wp-plugins/woocommerce)
https://translate.wordpress.org/locale/es-pe/default/wp-plugins/woocommerce
https://translate.wordpress.org/locale/es-cl/default/wp-plugins/woocommerce
https://translate.wordpress.org/locale/es-co/default/wp-plugins/woocommerce

You can modify this hreflangs from WPML > Languages > go to the "Site Languages" section and click "Edit languages" and on the right side of the screen you should see the hreflang column.

Please test with that and see if it will start to translate the other pages, too.

Let me know if this fixed your issue or if you still need help.

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai

October 22, 2018 at 9:25 am #2837413

gofluentM

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!