Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.4 before reporting any issue

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 1 year, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
September 13, 2018 at 7:42 pm #2732820

chrisW-39

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Trying to upload images to the WordPress Media Library results in HTTP Error.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
I have reviewed a range of the similar posts in the support forum. I have gone through testing various potential conflicts with other installed plug-ins with varying results. Generally, the results were typically negative (not able to resolve). This issue was not present prior to installing WPML.

Is there a similar example that we can see?
It appears that there a number of examples of this issue.

What is the link to your site?
It is a backend issue.

September 14, 2018 at 11:10 am #2735202

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hello

I´ll be helping you with this issue.

Temporary Access to your system
Please provide access to your system (wp-admin and ftp) so that I can further investigate this particular problem. The fields to provide this data are included in a private section that I will open for your next response. You can find it above the comments area. The information in this private section is only visible between WPML Support and you.

Thanks

September 14, 2018 at 11:51 am #2735240

Yvette
Supporter

Please re-check the details you provided. When I cut&paste them into the login screen, they do not work. = (

I´m opening the private area again just in case you need it.

September 14, 2018 at 12:02 pm #2735269

chrisW-39

There was an issue with the WordPress user I set-up. Please try it again.

September 14, 2018 at 12:48 pm #2735367

Yvette
Supporter

I tested the upload of the file and got the same error...but the media is present in the library. What is missing is the thumbnail.

Do you find that this is true?

I checked in both languages, and the image loaded to each language space.

September 14, 2018 at 1:34 pm #2735579

chrisW-39

HI,

This appears to be one of the issue (perhaps connected to other issues), along with the upload lag once the upload reaches 100% along with the fact that this action throws a HTTP error.

Thanks,
Chris

September 14, 2018 at 1:51 pm #2735633

Yvette
Supporter

Thanks for your thoughts.

I´m trying to nail down the exact 4.7 error so please bear with my seemingly pointless questions. I also need to confirm that this error was not present previous to 4.7 and if the new 4.7 uncovered a previous situation.

I noticed on your site that there were a number of older images that also have thumbnails missing. e.g. date 2018/08/31 and older

Have you not noticed this thumbnail error previously?
Is there any way that you can create a staging site for further debug?

Thanks

September 14, 2018 at 3:34 pm #2735994

chrisW-39

This has been an issue since I installed the WPML plug-in prior to 4.7. Unfortunately setting up a staging site is beyond what I normally. I guess if someone explained the process I could do it. Is there anything else you can review without a staging site?

September 16, 2018 at 1:05 pm #2738904

Yvette
Supporter

Thanks for the clarification.

I´ve done some research on this error and a few tests on your site. Here are my observations.

1. When I temporarily deactivate WPML CMS plugin, the problem is still there. To be specific, if I upload an image, the image loads - I get an HTTP error and the thubmnail does not generate.

2. I found this article:
hidden link

Specifically, on point 3, they mention that there are two ways to upload an image. I then noticed that you have an option that is not available on my WordPress dashboard. (see images).

When I try using the "browser image loader", everything works ok.

3. Conclusion
I do not think this issue is related to WPML. I am not sure what is causing it, but it seems to be a known issue in the WordPress world.

I wait for your feedback.

September 17, 2018 at 1:20 pm #2741097

chrisW-39

HI,

So I did a bit more digging within the site looking at what was being uploaded as a way of approaching the issue from a different angle. Turns out that the Avada theme creates a number of versions of the image as part of enhancing the efficiency of the front end of the site. I reduced the number of image versions being created and that appears to have solved the problem. We will be monitoring the issue over the next week or so to see if the solution holds.

Thanks,
Chris

September 17, 2018 at 1:21 pm #2741102
chrisW-39

Hi again,

While I think of it, one other issue that we are encountering with the site is that the French version of the site is not reflecting changes to the CSS or a modification to the logo image. My guess there is a simple explanation, but help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

New threads created by Yvette and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-avada-theme-options-are-not-showing-in-2nd-language/

September 18, 2018 at 7:32 am #2743788

Yvette
Supporter

Thanks for sharing what you have learned - I´m sure this will be useful for me going forward.

I have split off your other issue to a new ticket since it is not related to this original problem. If you are satisfied that we have determined it is not a WPML issue, we can close this ticket here.

Kind regards

September 18, 2018 at 7:32 am #2743789

Yvette
Supporter

Thanks for sharing what you have learned - I´m sure this will be useful for me going forward.

I have split off your other issue to a new ticket since it is not related to this original problem. If you are satisfied that we have determined it is not a WPML issue, we can close this ticket here.

Kind regards