This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 5.63 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: When I try to upload an image to my website (from the media library), it seems to upload just fine. The bar progresses, and when it is done, the thumbnail for the image shows up. As soon as I leave or refresh the page, the upload disappears.

Solution: Updating WPML plugins resolved the issues I was having. I find it quite strange, because I tried updating a while ago, and it crashed the website in stead of working properly. Luckily that isn't the case.

Relevant Documentation:

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
September 28, 2018 at 11:33 am #2773613

milan stegeman

When I try to upload an image to my website (from the media library), it seems to upload just fine. The bar progresses, and when it is done, the thumbnail for the image shows up. As soon as I leave or refresh the page, the upload disappears.
I can see the upload in the uploads folder using FTP, and an 'attachment' post is added to the wp_posts table in the database. The only place it doesn't show up is in WordPress itself. There are some major things that happened to the site recently, and I did find a way to fix it (as in, all files uploaded before applying the fix show up again), by using the WPML Troubleshooting page to 'Fix element_type collation'. Every time I upload something, this is the only way to make the upload show up.

I suspect that this didn't start happening suddenly. Recently, I've changed the site's main language from English to Dutch. Could this have something to do with it?

I'd like to fix this, so my client can upload images by themselves again.

September 30, 2018 at 4:42 pm #2776680

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.

I would like to ask you to follow this steps in order to isolate the cause of the issue:
- Back up your site first before making any change, this is for security reasons.
- Deactivate all the plugins that are not related to WPML.
- Switch for a moment to a WordPress default theme like Twenty Seventeen.
- If the issue is gone, activate one by one to see with which one there is an interaction issue.

Could you tell me the result of this steps?

Kind regards,
Carlos

October 4, 2018 at 7:42 am #2786570

milan stegeman

Hello,

I have put the site onto a development server, and deactivated all non-wpml plugins, and switched to Twenty Seventeen theme. This did not have any effect, the issue persists.
I have also noticed that when uploading an image, and applying the fix I use, it only adds the image to the current language, not in the other languages.

I would like to give you access to this development server. It is still operating under the same domain name, so you would have to change your hosts file to change the ip address the site points to.

October 4, 2018 at 5:33 pm #2788401

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,
Thank you very much for your message.

I have set your next answer private so you can provide the credentials to the test site in a secure way.

Looking forward to your answer.
Best regards,
Carlos

October 5, 2018 at 6:54 pm #2791549

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,
Thank you very much for the information provided.

Before we continue I need to ask you to update all outdated plugins to their latest version. Outdated functionalities can cause conflicts in the code.
Once all plugins and themes are up-to-date, please flush any cache that might exists and re-save the permalink structure.

Could you tell me if the issue persists?

Note: I added the IP to the hosts file, however I'm afraid that I can't see the difference between the live and the test site. Could you let me know how can I be 100% sure I'm in the test site? Maybe changing a site's name or the credentials should work.

Looking forward to your answer.
Best regards,
Carlos

October 9, 2018 at 7:23 am #2798545

milan stegeman

Excuse me, I thought I already replied.

I have added 'DEV' to the site title on the development version (not visible from front end, only in the wp-admin). I'll be updating the plugins thursday.

October 9, 2018 at 5:44 pm #2801494

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

I will be waiting for your update.

Best regards,
Carlos

October 12, 2018 at 8:05 am #2811075

milan stegeman

Updating WPML plugins resolved the issues I was having. I find it quite strange, because I tried updating a while ago, and it crashed the website in stead of working properly. Luckily that isn't the case.

Thanks for the help!

October 12, 2018 at 3:51 pm #2812544

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,

I'm glad to hear that the issue is solved 🙂

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you need our help in the future with WPML. We will be more than happy to help.
Best regards,
Carlos