This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by luis-adrianZ 2 years, 12 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Joanna.

Author Posts
March 23, 2017 at 10:34 pm #1238365

luis-adrianZ

I am trying to translate some strings in my website. So I install WPML to do it, but, the URL of my website changes so the home page is not visible anymore. When I deactivate the plugin, it works well again.

The normal URL is: hidden link
When I activate the WPML plugin: hidden link

I don't want an english website, I only want to translate some strings.

Thanks in advance.

March 24, 2017 at 2:49 pm #1238955

Joanna

Hello @luis-adrianz,

In this case, please go to WPML->Languages and scroll down to the "Hide languages" section. There, choose to hide English and save changes. This way, English will be hidden in the frontend but you'll still be able to translate your strings.

March 27, 2017 at 2:46 pm #1240427

luis-adrianZ

Hi Joanna.

My website is in Spanish right now but the URL still have the .../es/. How can I remove this?

Thank you.

March 27, 2017 at 3:27 pm #1240477

Joanna

Hello @luis-adrianz,

You need to set Spanish to be the default language to get rid of "es" in the URL.

You may also need to refresh your permalink settings. To do this, please go to Settings->Permalinks and re-save your settings.

If your English strings get registered as Spanish ones, you can change the original language of your strings easily in WPML->String Translation.
You can read more about changing the original language of strings at https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/ in the "Original Language of Strings" section.

April 4, 2017 at 8:54 pm #1247297

luis-adrianZ

Hi Joanna.

I did what you said but still doesn't work. The only active language in WPML is Spanish, then I go to Settings > Permalinks > Save and the website have a 500 Internal Server Error. I deactivate the WPML and the site works well again.

I need to dissapear .../es/ from the URL to continue with the string translations.

Thank you.

April 5, 2017 at 2:25 pm #1247945

Joanna

Hello @luis-adrianz,

The most frequent cause of 500 errors is your server running out of memory. This can happen if the memory allowance was marginal before you activated a plugin and with that plugin activated, there is not enough memory.

I noticed that your WP Memory Limit is set to 40MB and the WPML's minimum requirement is to have it on 128MB. You can easily increase the memory allocated to PHP. You'll find more info about it at https://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHP.
In brief:
1. Log into your FTP.
2. Edit the wp-config.php file.
3. Add the following code:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

4. Save the file.

This will most likely not resolve your issue, but it may save you from a headache in the future when you will have possibly stumbled upon some unexpected issues.

All WPML minimum requirements are listed at https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/.

When you change the WP Memory Limit, you should be able to save your new settings without any issues.

In WPML->Languages, you should have two languages active (Spanish and English), Spanish set to be the default one and English set to be hidden. Also, double check if the "Use directory for default language" option is NOT checked. Then, everything should work as you need.

April 5, 2017 at 8:41 pm #1248296

luis-adrianZ

The problem is solved. It was for corrupted database.

Thanks for your help Joanna.