This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 24 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
June 19, 2019 at 10:10 pm #4054933

karenK-9

Hello,

I did something wrong and used a translation in the title and now some of my links look weird.

It should look like this:
hidden link

but now it redirects to here:
hidden link

In addition I am using a SEO plugin so I guess it is 301 redirect already applied.

My question how can I put those links back to the original hidden link

Thanks

June 19, 2019 at 11:07 pm #4055287

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the WPML Support Forum.

Could you give me some more information about the "error" that occured? Maybe zou could provide a screenshot to visualize the issue or provide detailed steps in order to recreate it?

The URL you mention is incorrect, as it does not follow WPML logic. It shows a English post on a Spanish directory:

hidden link

Now, as far I can see you are using the WPML default language English and second language Spanish.

You have set the URL site structure to language in directories:

hidden link ---> English
hidden link ---> Spanish

The following URL is repsectively correct for the Spanish post translation:

hidden link

For WPML logic this is the correct URL for the original post in English:

hidden link

Could you please clarify your request with more detail?

Kind regards
Andreas

June 19, 2019 at 11:14 pm #4055315

karenK-9

Hi Andreas,

You are right. I provided a wrong URL.

This is the original URL
hidden link

AND

This one should be like this:
hidden link

HOWEVER

Now it looks like this
hidden link

I don't have errors I just want to have the same URLs for both languages (in simple words I want my URL is changed only with this slag /es/ ONLY.

1. Where exactly should I change it?
2. As I said I am using SEO plugins (SEO Framework) and I have a feeling the 301 redirection is already done.

Thanks

June 20, 2019 at 5:24 pm #4062005

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for you message.

This slug is based on the post title. In this case you will need to translate the post title again from Spanish to English but I guess this is not in your interest, right?

You able to edit the title manually. But the best way would be to edit the permalink instead.

Go to the English post editor page for the original post. Now, switch the language in the top admin bar to Spanish.

You should now be able to edit the permalink beneath the post title. In case you use Gutenberg you will find the permalink in the right sidebar.

As mentioned earlier, this slug is related to the post title. This means if you will not want to change all permalinks manually for all posts there is an alternative. Change the post titles on all Spanish posts to English and make them not visible on front end.

A plugin who can achieve titles to not appear on front end is this one:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/hide-page-and-post-title/

Take note that this way the posts will be displayed without the post title.

Kind regards
Andreas

June 20, 2019 at 5:29 pm #4062023

karenK-9

Hi there,

1. This way I have to adjust each post manually? There are 500+ pages in total I have to translate so if I leave the Spanish title then I have to adjust permalinks for each post manually?

2. If I decide to do this manually now how should I deal with my SEO plugin. I guess it does 301 redirects each time I change slugs

June 20, 2019 at 9:49 pm #4063205

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hi!

Thank you for your message.

If you translate the titles into Spanish you will need to adjust the permalinks. If you decide to copy the titles from English the permalinks will fullfill your expectation and you could use a plugin like mentioned in my last message in orderto hide the WordPress Titles and then add a custom title inside of your content.

About SEO we recommend to use Yoast SEO together with our glue plugin Yoast SEO Multilingual.
Download Yoast SEO and add our add-on at Plugins -> Add new -> Commercial.

This way you will be able to translate titles and meta descriptions with String Translation.
SEO attrinutes can translated as well with the WPML Translation Editor.

Here the full documentation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/using-wordpress-seo-with-wpml/

Let me know if you do have any further questions.

Kind regards
Andreas

June 20, 2019 at 11:01 pm #4063549

karenK-9

note: please don't mention crap called yoast.

Sorry you didn't answer my question again.

I have a plugin which better that yaost and it also like yaost creates 301 redirect when you change slugs,

MY QUESTION IF I MANUALLY CHANGE THE SLUG FOR SPANISH ARTICLES BACK TO ENGLISH SLAG. HOW TO DEAL WITH 301 REDIRECTS THAT ALREADY CREATED (MOST LIKELY).

June 21, 2019 at 9:53 pm #4069343

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

In case you wrote the redirects like "Redirect 301 (old page) (new page full URL)" you will surely need to addapt the URls in order for the redirect to work out.

There are various plugins that can assist with this task, but in case the post tile changes you will also need to change the full URL for redicrect respectively.

hidden link

Here our list of top compatible plugins when it comes to translate WordPress with WPML:
https://wpml.org/faq/list-of-top-compatibility-recommendations/

Kind regards
Andreas

June 21, 2019 at 11:43 pm #4069483

karenK-9

It's so hard to understand you. it seems like youa re trying to answer the way it simpler for you (sorry).

> In case you wrote the redirects like "Redirect 301
I told you 4 times already. I have a plugin that MIGHT did that already.

>There are various plugins ...
Please forget about all plugins. I don't want to install anything.

MY QUESTION WAS:

1. How to change the title and url BACK to english? I can change the title and the url manually (no problem), but if there is ALREADY redirect applied. How to deal with it? Is there a way to see all redirects?

2. And my second question is why when I try to open hidden link it opens hidden link

IF I NEVER CHANGED the URL? I have a post "/personal-injury-attorney-aberdeen-wa" and when I translated it to Spanish with the Spanish title, the slug automatically becomes this "/abogado-de-lesiones-personales-aberdeen-wa" HOWEVER, "WHY" when I open this URL "/personal-injury-attorney-aberdeen-wa" it redirects to here "/abogado-de-lesiones-personales-aberdeen-wa"?

June 22, 2019 at 1:06 am #4069533

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I am sorry for the misunderstanding but I would like to explain again.

The default bahavior of WPML when forming the URL for a translated page, post or product appends the translated title of the repsective content.

If you as example, translate the title of the post "Hello World!" into "Hola mundo!", the URL will adapt this title translation to form the new URL.

Do I understand right, that you created recirect before translating the posts or you first translated the posts by keeping the same English post title, created the redirects and then bz mistake translated the titles into Spanish?

If the redirects are set to refer to the original post title on all languages the only workaround would be to translate those post titles back into English, or changing the redirects into the correct post URLs, or reset you page with a previous state, in case you made a backup.

I did not receive any debug information from you. Which plugin are you using for 301 Redirects?

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT

Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

Kind regards
Andreas

June 24, 2019 at 4:54 pm #4078825

karenK-9

Sorry I cannot give you the access to my the site. You guys always mess up things by installing plugins and make lots of test. This is a production site. And I answered to all your questions above, I don't understand why you asked me again the same questions?!

> Do I understand right, that you created recirect before translating the posts or you first translated the posts by keeping the same English post title, created the redirects and then bz mistake translated the titles into Spanish?

As I told you three times already I translated pages in a standard way by entering the Spanish title. I didn't change anything there. I just have a Spanish URL.

> I did not receive any debug information from you. Which plugin are you using for 301 Redirects?

As I mentioned already I am using SEO Framework which I assume does 301 redirects (in case if I change the slug manually)

Please answer my two questions I asked before this answer.

I added the debug here so please make sure it's private otherwise remove it please

June 24, 2019 at 7:10 pm #4079367

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I am sorry, but I thought my answer included the reply to your questions:

1. How to change the title and url BACK to english? I can change the title and the url manually (no problem), but if there is ALREADY redirect applied. How to deal with it? Is there a way to see all redirects?

Do I understand right, that you wish the Spanish posts to appear with an English title? Then you will need to retranslate them or edit the titles manually.

I am not sure how it behaves with the redirects with The SEO Framework plugin but the plugin has been tested and is compatible. You are able to manually edit the 301 redirects each post or page but surely this will need to be adapted manually, once a title/URL changes.

In case of unexpected behavior we will need to test this on a sandbox test site. More about this later in this message.

2. And my second question is why when I try to open hidden link it opens hidden link

WPML creates the URL based on the translated post title. As the title was translated into Spanish language it will form part of the URL. If you translate the Spanish title pack into English language it should appear as hidden link.

I have created a sandbox test site and installed The SEO Framework.

One Click Login: hidden link

I would like to ask you to recreate any issue in regards to The SEO Framework and WPML here or provide me more detailed steps about how to recreate the issue?

In case you edited manually a Canonical URL or 301 Redirect inside the The SEO Framework plugin you will need to edit those manually as well.

Kind regards
Andreas

June 24, 2019 at 7:24 pm #4079433

karenK-9

Hi there,

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it however this is so confusing. I never liked your plugin. It's just here is no good alternatives but I always have issues with your plugins.

In your sandbox site I created a page English Title. then I translated it to German Title and the slug was /de/german-title, however when I tried to check /de/english-title it redirected me back to /de/german-title

1. IS THIS OK BEHAVIOR TO HAVE TWO WORKING URLs?

2. Also I don't understand why when I try to use a wrong URL it still redirects me to the right page. For example when I try /english/ or /eng/ or /entle/ etc. it redirects me to /english-title/

June 24, 2019 at 9:39 pm #4079873

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you are unsatisfied with our product and I would like to try to answer your questions:

We are talking here about WordPress default behavior, in order to autocomplete URLs in case of spelling mistakes, but this is more a pro than a contra, isn´t it? Please take note that those redirects are not caused by WPML. You can test it right now on the test site with WPML and its add-ons disabled:

If you call up the following URL you will see it end in a 404 error:

hidden link

while this works

hidden link

and leads to

hidden link

I hope this answered your question.

Kind regards
Andreas

June 24, 2019 at 9:59 pm #4079913

karenK-9

Andreas,

If I understood you correctly my message:

"In your sandbox site I created a page English Title. then I translated it to German Title and the slug was /de/german-title, however when I tried to check /de/english-title it redirected me back to /de/german-title"

a) This is not related to your plugin, isn't it?

b) Is this bad for SEO to have two links?

c) Can I use any of those link in my website or I have to use the redirected one for SEO?

Thansk

The topic ‘[Closed] URLs issues’ is closed to new replies.