This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: How to use the default/native WordPress editor instead of the translation editor?

Solution: You can enable/disable the translation editor for each post/page using the steps below: - Go to the edit screen of the page (original language). - Turn off the "Use WPML's Translation Editor" on the right sidebar (see screenshot) - Select your editor preferences and save - Edit the translation

100% of people find this useful.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by susanneT 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Diego Pereira.

Author Posts
April 8, 2019 at 11:23 am #3557121

susanneT

Hello,

I want to edit a Translation of a Page (Image 1).

Instead of using the Translation Editor (Image 2) (eather the old or the new), i want
to edit the contents direct on the page iteself (Image3).

How can I deactivate the use of the Translation Editor?
In older Versions of WPML this was possible.

(I could deinstall WPML Translation Management (which I don't need). Unfortunately I'm forced to install WPML Translation Managment when I use it with Woocommerce)

Thanks for your help! 🙂

April 8, 2019 at 2:32 pm #3558997

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello @susannet, welcome to the WPML support Forum!

On the new versions, you can use the following steps to switch to the manual editor:
- Go to the edit screen of the page (original language).
- Turn off the "Use WPML's Translation Editor" on the right sidebar (see screenshot)
- Select your editor preferences and save
- Edit the translation

Please let me know if it worked for you.

All the best,
Diego

April 15, 2019 at 7:17 am #3610281

susanneT

Hello,

thanks for your reply.

That works for me if I am already on the page that i want to translate (Picture 1 green)

When I am on the Overview-Site for pages and I click "translate" I still get to the translation editor (Picture 2, red).

I tried all Options (Picture 3) but none of them changed the behavour on the Overview-Page.

I need to get this to work on the overview-page (I can't tell my customers not to click translate on the overview-page...)

Thank your very much for your help!

Best regards

susanneT

April 15, 2019 at 7:29 pm #3616119

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi there,

It occurs on all pages or only on the "Datenschutz" page?

If yt's only on that page, please delete the old translation then translate the page again using the manual editor, it should fix the issue.

If it occurs on all pages, Please send us access to your WordPress dashboard (website URL, login and password) I'll check and do some tests. - Please use the private field to send the sensitive data - do not post if you do not see it.

It would be better if you give me a test site rather than the live site.

IMPORTANT Please backup a working copy of site files and database before.

Kind regards,
Diego

April 17, 2019 at 7:11 pm #3634393

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hi there,

Thank you. I checked the back-end and got these results: hidden link

It seems that the manual editor opens ok for the not-translated pages, but not with the "Datenschutz" page. I think because it was already translated using the Translation Editor. Please try the following:
- Go to Pages > All Pages
- Change the language using the Language switcher at the top admin bar
- Delete the old translation
- Delete from the trash as well
- Go back to Pages > All pages, change the language back to the original and translate the page again. It hsould open the manual editor this time.

Kind regards,
Diego

April 18, 2019 at 7:16 am #3636721

susanneT

Hey,

thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately it has not worked.
I deleted ALL english translations and emptied the trash. In the screenshot you can see that I have 0 english pages.

But all pages that where formerly translated have still the gearweel-symbol and if i click it I get to the translation-manager...

April 19, 2019 at 5:14 pm #3647717

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hi there,

I sent some instructions to replicate the website through a private message (previous answer).

Please let me know if it worked for you. If so, please send us clear instructions on how to see/reproduce the issue.

Kind regards,
Diego

April 23, 2019 at 1:36 pm #3664371

susanneT

Hi I have replicated the site as you instructed.
I had to reinitialize the database, because the testinstall I opened up for you crashed when I tried to view a page.

How to see and reproduced the issue: (I want to refere to my post: #3610281)

All pages that where formerly translated have a gearweel-symbol and if i click it I get to the translation-manager... I do not want to use the translation-manager, I want to translate the site directly.

best regards and thank you for your help!

susanneT

April 24, 2019 at 5:41 pm #3675613

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hi there,

Thank you. It seems that this issue occurs because the pages are added as translation jobs that are not finished yet (see screenshot).

I fixed this on the test site with the steps below:
- Go to WPML > Translations
- Click on the Translate button
- Translate the page using the translation editor, mark all "Translation is complete" field then click on "Save and close"
- Repeat for all pending pages of the list
- After completing all translations, go to Pages > All Pages then click on the pencil icon. It should open the Manual Editor instead of the translation editor.

I will send you the credentials of the test site through a private message, in case you want to check.

Kind regards,
Diego

May 2, 2019 at 8:50 am #3722805

susanneT

That worked!

Thanks a lot!!