Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Dorian 9 years, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas Neuber.

Author Posts
November 5, 2012 at 12:00 pm #83084

Dorian

Hello there,
I prepared a new version of my WP bilingual (Eng-Chinese) site locally, where it was working just fine. I then transferred it through FTP to a new server, from which I intend to run the site from now on. An outdated version of the site was working well from there.

However, now that all the files of the new version are in place, and the database ready, the site simply refuses to launch. White screen of death both on the front end, and when trying to access the Dashboard.

Using the "Debugging WPML" page, I created an "errors_log.txt" file. Here are its contents (corresponding to a visit of the front page, then of the wp-admin directory):

[05-Nov-2012 11:26:59 UTC] PHP Notice:  Use of undefined constant ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE - assumed 'ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE' in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/seso/functions.php on line 62
[05-Nov-2012 11:27:00 UTC] PHP Notice:  add_option was called with an argument that is <strong>deprecated</strong> since version 2.3 with no alternative available. in /var/www/html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2724
[05-Nov-2012 11:27:00 UTC] PHP Notice:  Use of undefined constant ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE - assumed 'ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE' in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/seso/frontpage.php on line 7
[05-Nov-2012 11:27:00 UTC] PHP Notice:  Use of undefined constant ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE - assumed 'ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE' in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/seso/frontpage.php on line 51
[05-Nov-2012 11:27:00 UTC] PHP Notice:  Use of undefined constant ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE - assumed 'ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE' in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/seso/functions.php on line 62
[05-Nov-2012 11:27:00 UTC] PHP Notice:  add_option was called with an argument that is <strong>deprecated</strong> since version 2.3 with no alternative available. in /var/www/html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2724
[05-Nov-2012 11:27:00 UTC] PHP Notice:  Use of undefined constant ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE - assumed 'ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE' in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/seso/header.php on line 2
[05-Nov-2012 11:27:00 UTC] PHP Notice:  Use of undefined constant ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE - assumed 'ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE' in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/seso/header.php on line 108
[05-Nov-2012 11:27:00 UTC] PHP Notice:  Use of undefined constant ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE - assumed 'ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE' in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/seso/footer.php on line 2
[05-Nov-2012 11:27:00 UTC] PHP Notice:  Use of undefined constant ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE - assumed 'ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE' in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/seso/footer.php on line 63

Let me stress again that everything was (and still is) working fine with exactly the same files and database, locally, and also on another server on which I uploaded the new site content. The only new variable here is that I'm trying to run this from a new server.

Any advice?
(this is a rather urgent matter)

Best,
Dorian

November 5, 2012 at 1:00 pm #83099

Andreas Neuber
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Dear Dorian,

As far I can see the PHP notices would not explain a "white screen of death".
Did you adjust the URL values in the WP database beforehand?
E.g. for "siteurl" as mentioned here under point 4 and 5: http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress#On_Your_Existing_Server

November 6, 2012 at 5:39 am #83238

Dorian

Dear Andreas,
You're absolutely right, there was a directory change which I didn't reflect in my database. The content of the error messages led me to think the problem was WPML-related, but it's not at all.

Many thanks for your swift reply!
Dorian